Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Some questions...

• 05-09-2012 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Just thought I'd ask a few questions on which I'm getting confliscting responses from people.

Firstly, at a junction, is it ok to be in first gear before there is an opportunity to move on? My dad says no because the car might jump forward, but my instructor says that you should do so as it prevents you from holding up traffic when the lights turn green/space is clear etc. Which is it?

Secondly, is it ok to move into 1st gear in extremely slow-moving traffic, or when you need to slow right down?

Thirdly, when reversing around a corner, is it ok to glance once or twice in the wing mirror to check alignment with the kerb, or do you have to look out the rear window at all times?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

1. No problem sitting in first gear with the clutch depressed.
    2. If you need first gear then use it, generally it will only be at crawling speeds.
    3. How else are you supposed to keep in line?! Of course, that's how you are supposed to do it. In fact, you can, if you want, dip your left mirror to enable you to see the kerb better(Just remember to put it back after the manoeuvre!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Einhard wrote: »
    Firstly, at a junction, is it ok to be in first gear before there is an opportunity to move on? My dad says no because the car might jump forward, but my instructor says that you should do so as it prevents you from holding up traffic when the lights turn green/space is clear etc. Which is it?

Yes, its good to be ready. You can have the hand brake applied also if not going to get straight out
    Secondly, is it ok to move into 1st gear in extremely slow-moving traffic, or when you need to slow right down?

If its really that slow, and the engine wants you to go down from second, then do so.

Thirdly, when reversing around a corner, is it ok to glance once or twice in the wing mirror to check alignment with the kerb, or do you have to look out the rear window at all times?

Thanks.

Your meant to check all around, including your side mirrors.

Thats my thoughts on it anyway, good look :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Hey,
    Just thought I'd ask a few questions on which I'm getting confliscting responses from people.

Thanks.

tbh the only way the car can "jump forward" is if you are in any gear other than neutral and you let clutch fully off fast, then it will jump and stall. If you are in neutral nothing will happen at all. Yes in neutral it does take you bit longer to move off but it depends:

If you are first in traffic lane, then stay in First and be ready to start off.
    If you are couple cars behind, go into neutral then when you see cars in front starting to move you can put into 1st and proceed, I personally nearly always stay in 1st as I am just used to it.

In extremely slow traffic I don't think there is any other way to move other than in 1st gear and pushing car :D
    I usually use 1-2 gears in slow traffic, when I see cars more or less moved like 10-20 metres forward I put into 2nd and release clutch so car is moving forward slowly, without acceleration. When stopping you can stop in any gear as long as you press clutch not to stall.

Not sure about corner reverse, wondring myself as well is it okay to adjust mirrors so you can see kerbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭teR_

Hey,

If you're first in the que be in first gear and ready.

Yes and if you need to slow down to the point were you need first gear its fine

You should be looking out the rear window 80% of the time and yes of course you can look in your mirror to see the kerb. Just don't stare into it :pac: (don't forget to check right once or twice)

Thanks.

I can't stress this enough:

LISTEN TO YOUR INSTRUCTOR OVER EVERYBODY

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Thanks all. Looks like my dad has a lot to answer for!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Thanks all. Looks like my dad has a lot to answer for!! :pac:

Ah not really, he only has your best interest in mind.

There's driving for the test, and then there's the driving skills you learn in the years after. He's just going on what he has built up on since passing his. Best listen to instructors, and politely disagree!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 D8 Saint

No point starting a new thread for this...

Is it more damaging to the handbrake to just pull it up without pushing in the button? When I began I used to always do it but my instructor told me to just pull it up, so I do that now without thinking about it. I've also pulled up beside non learner cars and I do hear grinding kind of noise they make, so it seems a lot of people just pull it up.

Anyone have an opinion on this?

Thanks

D8 Saint wrote: »

Is it more damaging to the handbrake to just pull it up without pushing in the button? When I began I used to always do it but my instructor told me to just pull it up, so I do that now without thinking about it. I've also pulled up beside non learner cars and I do hear grinding kind of noise they make, so it seems a lot of people just pull it up.

Thanks

Grinding noise is on every car as far as I know, it's not a technical fault it's the lock that locks the lever so it doesn't drop down and roll back. I usually do whichever I feel like, when quickly stopping I can pull up without button, when at night time and I want to be kind of quiet I just press button and pull up slowly (when in rush, no hazard around and totally safe). But generally I think for safety it's better to pull up without a button as it will automatically lock it in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 D8 Saint

Cool thanks. Seems to be mixed from anyone I've asked!

Cool thanks. Seems to be mixed from anyone I've asked!

I think it's just personal preferences

• Advertisement

Thanks

Either way is fine. It's just a ratchet that keeps the handbrake up that you're hearing.

Advertisement