Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Student Medical Center to Start Charging

• 11-04-2012 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

How do people feel about this one then? I'm not sure about it to be honest...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 OneMoreThing!

Prices are as follows
    Doctor: 25 Nurse: 10 Psychiatric Consultation: 25 Physio: 40 STD Clinic: 10 Contraceptive advice: 10

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

pack of *****!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 OneMoreThing!

Here's a link to the TST article for more info if ye want it.

Union fails to prevent medical centre charges

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

great job hushing everything up as usual until the last minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

Currently, I don't see an issue with it because it is still much cheaper than visiting a GP outside of the college.

Aoife Kenny said it quite right in an focal when she said the time of getting things free is over and if the service wants to be maintained these things have to happen.

People just got too comfortable over the golden years, too used to things for free, when in reality we were probably just setting ourselves up for a big fall.

I would be interested in seeing figures on how often the health centre is used for and for what purposes as well (each of the headings described in the pricing).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I'm undecided on the actual decsion at the moment as I don't yet know enough about the medical centre to comment.

But it's pretty disgraceful that twice this year we find out a major decision has been made at the very last available opportunity.

Dromroe, Cappa and the bike shop closed, we only found out because the shop doors were locked.

Now today, we find out this. They HAVE to have known about this for a while. No doubt in my mind about it. Why the hell wasn't it published sooner? Moreover, the deadline for the print issue of An Focal was last week AFAIK, so this story must have been written before the weekend.

So why was it not put on anfocal.ie? Surely It makes more sense to try and increase readership of the online service as much as possible and slowly reduce print runs to save money. Totaly arseways imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Prices are as follows
    Doctor: 25 Nurse: 10 Psychiatric Consultation: 25 Physio: 40 STD Clinic: 10 Contraceptive advice: 10

Great, you'll only get treatment if you can afford it. :rolleyes:
    if this was in place this year i would have dropped out because last semester i was suffering from serious anxiety attacks and depression i had no way of paying for the Psychiatric services, €25 euro equated to 2 weeks of food and there are students far worse of than i am.

This won't affect me im finished in a month but will seriously affect a lot of students in the future that cant afford these services

also isnt it lovely how "our" union is completely silent on the matter and leave it till week 11 to announce this and kept it under wraps for a headline. great job of protecting the students interests there.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Adam_M

Currently, I don't see an issue with it because it is still much cheaper than visiting a GP outside of the college.

Aoife Kenny said it quite right in an focal when she said the time of getting things free is over and if the service wants to be maintained these things have to happen.

People just got too comfortable over the golden years, too used to things for free, when in reality we were probably just setting ourselves up for a big fall.

I would be interested in seeing figures on how often the health centre is used for and for what purposes as well (each of the headings described in the pricing).

Is it really much cheaper though? Previously, you would have to have seen a nurse in there before a doctor. If that is still the case you're looking at €35 if it is an accumulative cost.

On top of that, I don't feel the standard in there is sufficient. I was diagnosed with a kidney infection in there in first year and given antibiotics. A little research indicated that I more than likely actually had a chest infection given my symptoms so I went to a doctor off campus who diagnosed it as a chest infection. Hardly inspires confidence.

The cost of seeing a physio (€40) isn't that cheap - again do you have to see a nurse first before you can be seen by the physio?

I think people are more upset and outraged by the fact this is being announced in week 11, Semester 2, with no significant prior mention of it. I can see a huge amount of people moving their business elsewhere - either to their own GP or a doctor in the local area where the standard is better, waiting lists for an appointment aren't as bad (This will reduce in UL due to the costs being introduced) and where they won't feel like they are being rushed due to the fact the doctor/nurse wants to see the next patient. I have never been in there longer than 10 minutes and even that was at a push.

Adam_M wrote: »
    I think people are more upset and outraged by the fact this is being announced in week 11, Semester 2, with no significant prior mention of it. I can see a huge amount of people moving their business elsewhere - either to their own GP or a doctor in the local area where the standard is better, waiting lists for an appointment aren't as bad (This will reduce in UL due to the costs being introduced) and where they won't feel like they are being rushed due to the fact the doctor/nurse wants to see the next patient. I have never been in there longer than 10 minutes and even that was at a push.

At that is the case, but that is separate issue to the prices themselves.

I've never used the health centre, except on one occasion and when I couldn't get in I went to a GP off campus. That may be true about the nurse/doctor but it is still cheaper than off campus.

The reason I wanted to see figures of usage is to see where the main traffic is and from there work upon getting individual things cheaper. It would also given an indication of the cost it is actually putting on the University.

Currently based off the info I have I don't have a problem with it. While I understand this could effect some students it is no longer realistic to think everything can be gotten for free.

Why should the University fund our medical expenses, if an issue is going to be made of it then why not ask the government to make all GP visits free for students, because in reality that is what everyone wants.

As I said however, my initial reaction is no problem with the change itself. Problem with how we were told about it on short notice and how it was "too sensitive" to release before hand because that is tripe, and a problem with the lack of students involvement in it, however I imagine that even if there was, it would still have just been "keep it free".

Perhaps it could get cheaper who knows. All I remember is paying 60 euro for my last GP visit, so in my eyes UL is still doing alright. The level of service I've always heard mixed reactions about, so maybe that is something that should be tackled in conjunction with it.

• Advertisement

My local physio is 45 euro. You have to see the nurse before you can see the physio in UL so that will cost 50 euro. Massive step up from free. That surpasses some students weekly budget.

Maintain the service? The service wasnt great in the first place so were getting less for more now basically.The only good thing out of this is the time to get appointment will go down as its a strong possibility the amount of people availing of the doctor will go down with the price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

It'll be interesting to see how this affects those that need to get I-Grades ratified..

eoins23456 wrote: »
    My local physio is 45 euro. You have to see the nurse before you can see the physio in UL so that will cost 50 euro. Massive step up from free. That surpasses some students weekly budget.

Maintain the service? The service wasnt great in the first place so were getting less for more now basically.The only good thing out of this is the time to get appointment will go down as its a strong possibility the amount of people availing of the doctor will go down with the price

Hey man like I said I can't speak from experience, but while I was happy that it was there for so long, I am struggling to think of a logical answer why a University has a duty of care to provide free medical services to students.

But that's just me. I think if students are going to argue this, it isn't a local issue with the University but a national one.

I'm as skint as the next person to be fair, if I needed to go to a GP urgently there are others ways I can get money (friends/family) and while I know that isn't a fix for everyone it is at least one outlet.

Perhaps a mechanism could be introduced by which students can pay at a later date? Or in installments? I think the idea of it being free is gone, I haven't seen the figures like I said but I can't figure out in my head how it would ever be sustainable.

People can set up specific payment arrangements for fees, why not with medical services? People need to be coming up with solutions other than "it should be free".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

It's also poor form that the medical card holders must pay up front as well. There are already processes in place where medical centres get paid from the health boards, without the card holder having to pay anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Steeevvyb

Sounds like it was on some sabbats minds during the husts

http://soundcloud.com/thomondstudenttimes/paddy-rockett-sound-byte

Stephen
    TST

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

What next, charging for the library?

This is a disgrace, how long did the sabbats know about this? Why did they do to stop this? What did the SU get for getting rid of RAG week and replacing it with charity week?

1/3rd of a page which affects 9,000 to 12,000 students is a disgrace, it deserves a lot more time and attention as it effects a high portion of the student body.

This is a service which is still being advertised as being free. So when is this coming into force? Is it already in force?

They should allow 1 free visit a semester. If someone has frequent visits then maybe they should be charged.

It makes no sence to say that you have to start charging because it is losing money BUT at the same time say you will increase opening hours and build a new student medical centre (increasing expenditure). This sounds more like they want a new medical centre and want the students to pay for it.

I say keep the existing one, make the new medical centre in the new SU and don't charge students.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

WHAT?
    the university was giving free medical care out of their own pockets?
    Truely boom time economics there that they have so much cash floating around that expensive perks for students could be funded.

reunion wrote: »
    What next, charging for the library?

Yes because charging for the library and charging for medical expenses are exactly the same........

I have no idea surrounding plans for new medical centre etc and all that, but I don't understand why a medical service should be provided completely for free by a University.

What people seem to be asking for is free medical expenses for students. Take it to the government then. This isn't an issue that can be kept in a little nutshell in UL.

One free visit a semester isn't a bad idea, but again I would like to see figures. I have no idea where they can be got, but figures detailing how much its costs the University along with how often the service is used need to gotten before anyone can get a clear grasp of this.

"rabble rabble free rabble rabble" is not going to get anyone anywhere. The costs I imagine are there to stay for the time being, so it's time to come up with some reasonable solutions.
    It makes no sence to say that you have to start charging because it is losing money BUT at the same time say you will increase opening hours and build a new student medical centre (increasing expenditure). This sounds more like they want a new medical centre and want the students to pay for it.

I say keep the existing one, make the new medical centre in the new SU and don't charge students.

Your assuming your correct about the intention behind the introduction of a fee. I think it sounds more like, the University budget is screwed across all areas, money must be saved, therefore instead of providing free healthcare, they provide healthcare (whatever about the standard of service), for cheaper than you would get for the most part anywhere else.

You making it sound like a conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭CJKeane

So when is this coming into force? Is it already in force?

Obviously you didn't read the article.

As it says in the first line:
    IT has recently emerged that UL Student Health Centre, located in the main building, will be charging for medical services as of this coming September.

Yes because charging for the library and charging for medical expenses are exactly the same........

They have to pay someone to allow students to rent out books and they have to get new books in.
    I have no idea surrounding plans for new medical centre etc and all that, but I don't understand why a medical service should be provided completely for free by a University.

I agree with the medical service having a potential charge, but a Psychiatric Consultation costing €25? is this seperate to the student couselling service?
    What people seem to be asking for is free medical expenses for students. Take it to the government then. This isn't an issue that can be kept in a little nutshell in UL.

Free consultation is not free medical expenses, they recommend further action, be it to see your local GP or some medication. They don't pay a students medical expenses for a lung transplant.

How long has this service been in place for?
    One free visit a semester isn't a bad idea, but again I would like to see figures. I have no idea where they can be got, but figures detailing how much its costs the University along with how often the service is used need to gotten before anyone can get a clear grasp of this.

These figures should have been given along with the justification for charging.

I can think of a few things that could be done.

1. charge people who abuse the use of the free service

2. reduce the hours during non-exam time but keep the exisiting opening times from Week 12 onwards.

3. 1st visit free per semester.

4. include it the registration fees

If all else fails we have a backup option that requires a bit of effort.

• Advertisement

CJKeane wrote: »
    Obviously you didn't read the article.

As it says in the first line:

I read the online paper version which has it at a different font. Which I thought was a snippet from the text below it, which I read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Thank god I had pysio at the beginning of this semester and not next... :/

I don't like it. As someone who worries constantly about what on earth is going on when I'm sick, I cannot afford to fork out all the time for doctor's and nurse visits when I'm usually really sick all the time :/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Adam_M wrote: »

On top of that, I don't feel the standard in there is sufficient. I was diagnosed with a kidney infection in there in first year and given antibiotics. A little research indicated that I more than likely actually had a chest infection given my symptoms so I went to a doctor off campus who diagnosed it as a chest infection. Hardly inspires confidence.

What?? I can't believe a doctor would confuse a chest and kidney infection. That's absolutely amazing if thats true. How is that even possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 JoeCares

This is what we get for electing such a weak sabbat team.

This is an epic fail by ULSU. Classic example of how not to do things.

They failed to get anything out of this. It looks like Derek has bent over and gotten ridden by the University once again.

I have no problem paying a nominal charge for the doctor, but the Union and University should be trying to promote sexual health. WTF are ppl being charged for an STI check and for a pill consultation. And fecking psychiatric consultation, come on guys did you not bloody achieve anything when negotiating with the university.

This is the worst case scenario.

Actually maybe the university meeting was held before 12 o`clock so Derek probable missed it because he was still in bed.

I think this just summed up the SU year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

JoeCares wrote: »

No, closing the centre is the worst case scenario. This is really just a minor inconvenience at the end of the day.

We can't be expecting to get everything for free anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Welcome to real world economics folks. It's unfortunate that fees are being introduced, but budgets are being slashed left, right and centre so something has to give.

If you look at the list of staff employed by the medical centre (http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Services/Student_Affairs/Student_Supports/Student_Health_Centre) you're looking at a very large wage bill. (I'd guess a conservative estimate might be €500 000)

It's also presuming a lot IMO to say that someone will be charged twice for seeing the nurse before the doctor. There's nothing in the article saying that's how it'll be. It's at least equally likely that you'll pay the fee for the highest level of care you receive at the time e.g. if you end up seeing the doctor you get charged €25, but if you're ok just seeing the nurse, then it's €10. This makes more sense to me particularly if seeing the nurse is a condition of seeing the doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

JoeCares wrote: »
    This is what we get for electing such a weak sabbat team.

This is an epic fail by ULSU. Classic example of how not to do things.

They failed to get anything out of this. It looks like Derek has bent over and gotten ridden by the University once again.

I have no problem paying a nominal charge for the doctor, but the Union and University should be trying to promote sexual health. WTF are ppl being charged for an STI check and for a pill consultation. And fecking psychiatric consultation, come on guys did you not bloody achieve anything when negotiating with the university.

Actually maybe the university meeting was held before 12 o`clock so Derek probable missed it because he was still in bed.

I think this just summed up the SU year.

Have you ever gone to see a psychiatrist privately? Typical fees there are in excess of €100 per visit. €25 is a steal. And there's also a free counselling service provided on campus.

To the poster earlier who compared this to the library: a library is essential to the university's core mission of providing a third level education - you absolutely cannot complete your degree without using it at some point (if you do, you're doing it wrong IMO).

Health and wellbeing is important to you personally and is important for completion of your studies, but it's not necessarily the University's job to provide for this. That it does is welcome but it can be argued that they're under no obligation to do so. At some point individuals have to take responsibility for themselves and their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

While I can understand them charging to see the nurse, doctor, etc, I really think it's so important to keep STI screening and contraceptive advice free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 colon

WoW. Students go into shock after a taste of the real world. Ye might want to attend the G.P with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭freyners

not surprised by the fees, too good of a deal to last and since my local GP is 40, even seeing a nurse and doctor is still cheaper (although with a 5er difference, ill go to my own if possible)

disgraceful way to announce it and imo, shows a real lack of respect

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement