Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

Too genetic opera is strangely watchable. I think the American version was cut up a lot because when I rented it there were more scenes and gruesome ones too. I'd suggest renting it but Netflix one is ok. It's gorey.

Also watching switched at birth the series. Sounds corny but it's actually quite good I think. It's not gonna be everyone's cup of tea. If you like drama you might like it. It's possibly more of interest to women - I can emphasise with one of the girls as she's deaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Anyone know how to turn off subtitles? I'm trying to watch NEDS but the subtitles are ruining it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

watched a kind of doc reality show last night called Film School. Follows 4 NYU film students in last year trying to make a 10 min short. Fairly funny in parts.Really shows how completely deluded some people are about their talents.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

After seeing the band last night, I had a flick through the performance parts of Strange Powers: Stephin Merritt and the Magnetic Fields. Ended up getting distracted by some of the interview bits too. Forgot how strong a documentary it was. Focusing on Merritt (who is, without hyperbole, amongst the greatest living lyricists) the film tackles the band's history, Stephin's 'difficult' side and - most importantly - his relationship with bandmate Claudia Gonson.

For fans it's a joy with plenty of performance footage, while those unfamiliar with the band may learn to love them. As the filmmaker's put it: "To some, they're an iconic band. To most, they're completely unknown."

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    ^wasn't aware of that film, big fan of The Magnetic Fields, will have to give it a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 impala67

adox wrote: »
    Well I'll get the ball rolling so. Just finished season four of five seasons of a show called Friday Night Lights. Based on a small town in Texas football team, it's a whole lot more than football, more about the community and their trials and tribulations with the coach and his wife the centre piece.

Very well written and acted, corny as hell at times, but it's a fantastic show none the less. Some fantastic characters in it, you'll finish an episode with a smile on your face more often than not.

Definitely recommended.

i agree this is a great show i used to watch it when it was on rte they showed the first two seasons i think and then they didnt show anymore after that its on 3e now i might start watching it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

HUGE update on Neflix US today! (around 80 or 90 titles, they must have done a new deal). Some that caught my eye on a very quick perusal: Adaptation, Cemetry Junction, City Hall, Dog Day Afternoon, Drugstore Cowboy, Ghandi, Groundhog Day, Hannibal, Insomnia, The Karate Kid (1984), Legends of The Fall, Letters From Two Jima, Mr Nice, Network, Passanger 57, Scent of A Woman, Sea Of Love, Snatch.

Details:

http://instantwatcher.com/titles/new

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I also see Bubba-Ho-Tep and Jumanji \o/

Ooo and Joe Dirt (worth it for Christopher Walken alone :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭James74

Can't wait to sit down with the ankle-biters and watch The Iron Giant with them for the first time, great Brad Bird directed animation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

found a wealth of 80's and 90's flicks on Netflix today.. love it! Also they have streamlined episodic TV, not quite automated yet but still an improvement. All I really want now is a genre search!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bringthethunder

Watched "Megan is Missing" last night on US Netflix, its a good film but the last 30 mins are some of the most disturbing you will watch :eek:, it will definetly send out a messege to teenagers about been carefull who they talk to online

Watched Gandhi last night for the first time in at least 20 yrs, great epic picture with a brilliant performance in the central role from Kingsley, the scene which used 300,000 extras at the funeral is breathtaking, well worth another watch.

This guy has done something similar to instantwatcher for Neflix UK/Ireland, much easier to search than the site itself:

http://www.pcgamer.name/netflix.htm

Watched Blue Thunder the Badham movie about the high tech surveillance chopper, very entertaining and it still stands up pretty well, loved it when I seen it as a kid in the Savoy on its release. Badham was great at the high tech thrillers/chase movies like this and War Games.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Good Night,And Good Luck (Irish Netflix) superb stuff.

• I watched the 1st season of "The hard times of RJ Berger" on the US netflix.

Enjoyed it I have to say and the girl that plays Jenny Swanson is HOT!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Watched "Good Will Hunting" there the other night, good movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Anybody elses sound more often than not out of sync on the PS3?

It's really frustrating. Deleted the app and reinstalled but no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Came across a decent documentary called "Pulling John" there last week. Its about the sport of arm wrestling. Nicely made 80 minute piece which introduces the then world champ (who is American) and then moves to Russia to detail the training regime of a guy looking to beat him. Its pretty much a real life Rocky v Ivan Drago!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

jamc wrote: »

Thats happened to me a few times. But I dont think its the app I think its the content. Like if you are watching say, xfiles, one episode will be a touch out of sync, but the rest will be fine. Very strange and very annoying.

• Advertisement

jamc wrote: »

Has being happening more often recently alright, I sometimes stop and select another film/show and its alright on them so don't think its the app, must be how certain video files were encoded, a bit shoddy though, should be sorted out by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

I have no queue function of the US version of netflix?

shortys94 wrote: »
    I have no queue function of the US version of netflix?

You have to sign up to the US version to get the instant queue. Best thing to do is cancel the Irish store and then using the workaround sign up on the US site.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I watched Hansel & Gretel today, a great little Korean film inspired by the fairy tale (in the same way that The Company Of Wolves was inspired by Little Red Riding Hood). Eschewing jumpy-bits for atmosphere and an overpowering sense of sadness throughout, it's well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

You have to sign up to the US version to get the instant queue. Best thing to do is cancel the Irish store and then using the workaround sign up on the US site.

Sorry, what do you mean by cancel the Irish store? Cancel the account?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭klose

Was hungover as per bank holiday monday so said id check ou breaking bad, man what a show!!:) Thanks for suggesting it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

*careful now*

*careful now*

''That would be an ecumenical matter"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

i look to have got it working. i note, like someone else has, there is no queue function on this version. what's the best way of viewing eveything on this catalogue?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

All attempts to discuss regional workarounds from here on in will be replaced with Father Ted quotes.

That is all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement