Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

Id agree with most of that but Lehane is no where near he's form of the same time last year.Last year he was superb all through the Fitzgibbon Cup and in the first game against ye got about 7 from play in Cork.He really only came to life against UCD and against Mary's I last week.
    Even so last week I would say while he looked like he was coming in to form,he was not spectaular.He's goal was actually a poor shot,Nolan the goal keeper really should of saved it.
    Harnedy our half forward is actually in better form.He is winning more dirty ball.
    Lehane was poor againt tipp by he own standards,just one point from play.
    He is not even starting as he is being rested after a lot of hurling the last few weeks.He is a danger definetley,but he is not firing on all cylinders yet.I would expect both full back lines will see a lot of ball,as Fraher field is such a tight ptich.
    It is hear ye could really prosper as Mcdonnell is not good under the high ball.
    Shane walsh will take any chance that he gets.
    Kearney and Paudie sul will be the main men for waterford to watch as they are Corks main link men.Most of Corks scores will be mainly around the space they create for the rest of the forwards.
    The battle between Paudie Sul and Brick will be intersting.Does the Brick hold the centre or br dragged all over the place like Maher was?The Brick is no fool.
    Pa Cronin is the main target man for us.

Peter O Brien and Harnedy are there to add to Cronin,but these 3,are making their league debuts and are unproven.It may take them a few games for us to see their best.
    This will be a close game.The weather will have a big bearing.What impresses me the most about the side ye have picked is ye have expierence and physicality in the spine of yere team.
    Cork by comparison are inexpierenced
    in those positions.Ye have Lawlor,the Brick,Prengerast and Walsh .
    Tippereary was not a true test of Cork.
    Sunday will be,as this is a tough place to go for such a young team.Hopefully it be a good game.The last time we played ye in waterford it was a draw.

Eh Lehane didn't play fitzgibbon in 2012 no? He was a first year?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Lehane was indeed a Fresher in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

Half time: Football League London 0-8 Waterford 1-3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

London leading Waterford HT 0-8 1-03

• Registered Users Posts: 39,478 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Sigh! Come on Waterford get it together

• Advertisement

2nd half Latest: London 0-10 Waterford 1-6 46m

St. Augustines 1-12 Ardee C.S. 1-8...great win...

Latest. Waterford 1-9 London 0-12

London 0-14 Waterford 1-10, result, thats a bit of a disaster....

• Registered Users Posts: 39,478 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Complete disaster, second time in a few years we've lost away to London and it pretty much kills off any promotion hopes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Ah FFS. One step forwards and two steps back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

glick6 wrote: »

Eh Lehane didn't play fitzgibbon in 2012 no? He was a first year?
    Freshers i meant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Id agree with most of that but Lehane is no where near he's form of the same time last year.Last year he was superb all through the Fitzgibbon Cup and in the first game against ye got about 7 from play in Cork.He really only came to life against UCD and against Mary's I last week.
    Even so last week I would say while he looked like he was coming in to form,he was not spectaular.He's goal was actually a poor shot,Nolan the goal keeper really should of saved it.
    Harnedy our half forward is actually in better form.He is winning more dirty ball.
    Lehane was poor againt tipp by he own standards,just one point from play.
    He is not even starting as he is being rested after a lot of hurling the last few weeks.He is a danger definetley,but he is not firing on all cylinders yet.I would expect both full back lines will see a lot of ball,as Fraher field is such a tight ptich.
    It is hear ye could really prosper as Mcdonnell is not good under the high ball.
    Shane walsh will take any chance that he gets.
    Kearney and Paudie sul will be the main men for waterford to watch as they are Corks main link men.Most of Corks scores will be mainly around the space they create for the rest of the forwards.
    The battle between Paudie Sul and Brick will be intersting.Does the Brick hold the centre or br dragged all over the place like Maher was?The Brick is no fool.
    Pa Cronin is the main target man for us.

Peter O Brien and Harnedy are there to add to Cronin,but these 3,are making their league debuts and are unproven.It may take them a few games for us to see their best.
    This will be a close game.The weather will have a big bearing.What impresses me the most about the side ye have picked is ye have expierence and physicality in the spine of yere team.
    Cork by comparison are inexpierenced in those positions.Ye have Lawlor,the Brick,Prengerast and Walsh .
    Tippereary was not a true test of Cork.
    Sunday will be,as this is a tough place to go for such a young team.Hopefully it be a good game.The last time we played ye in waterford it was a draw.

It's going to be a close game, I think the odds Waterford have for the game are very appealing.

I think crucially from our point of view as that we don't miss four frees like we did the last time. We'd a few poor wides early in the last game outside of that too. The back played really well the last day, but you'd have to question some of Clare's forwards and Conlon won a lot of ball out in the half forward line in the second half. Should be a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

robopaddy wrote: »

really like the look of that team. kind of looking forward to sunday now after seeing it. for so many years weve looked at the teams named for league games you find yourself thinking why is this lad starting or what are they playing him there for. a couple names dont need mentioning. but this year at least theres no messing around and were picking the best lads available to us in the right positions and thats a good start. Darragh Fives at midfield is an interesting one but I wouldnt have too many fears about him at all. a very versatile player, stylish hurler aswell and will know a good few of the Cork lads from being with UCC in the Fitzgibbon.

Just want to see a performance on Sunday. Cork is probably a bit of a step up from Clare so we'll have to up it a bit again. But if we hurl like we can we'll be there or there abouts after 70 mins Im sure of that

that was precisley what I used to like so much about the old league format. I don't want to see full strength teams in the league, I like seeing players being tried out. It is impossible for teams with a relatively weak squad like ours to do that and not get relegated in the current league format unfortunately. It plays into the hands of teams like Tipp and Kk in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

London 0-14 Waterford 1-10, result, thats a bit of a disaster....

A bit............

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Post Primary

well done to St Augustines Abbeyside and CBS Dungarvan who both had terrific wins today in the All Ireland Semi Finals. St Augustines beat a fancied Ardee team 1.12 to 1.8. CBS beat Heywood Laois AET in the second game 3.16 to 2.13. St Augustines will play Strokestown Roscommon in the final and St Marys Belfast will be CBS's opposition. Both games are down for 30th March. Venue to be confirmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

well done to St Augustines Abbeyside and CBS Dungarvan who both had terrific wins today in the All Ireland Semi Finals. St Augustines beat a fancied Ardee team 1.12 to 1.8. CBS beat Heywood Laois AET in the second game 3.16 to 2.13. St Augustines will play Strokestown Roscommon in the final and St Marys Belfast will be CBS's opposition. Both games are down for 30th March. Venue to be confirmed.

Maybe things have changed and these lads have not had the chance to update their website, but they give the date of the Dungarvan CBS game as April 13. See the note at the bottom of the page regarding St. Mary's and the date of the fixture. http://pp.gaa.ie/fixtures

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Post Primary

you are probably right. Be better for the lads if it was spread out a bit. Busy few weeks ahead. Croke Cup semi on 23rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Another defeat in London.This team doesn't seem to like travelling by plane!I have to say that's a serious setback.If you want to win promotion then London should have been a handy two points.Then again i hear that London are improving with all the exiled irish people that are moving over there so maybe it's not as easy a fixture as you would think.They can't afford anymore slip ups from now on and their also relying on other teams to drop points.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

shoddy14 wrote: »
    Just heard that the U-21 football team wont train this year and will be picked on player form over the last few years. This is an absolute disgrace and embarrassment, Players were only contacted this week and asked about their availability for championship in 3 weeks time.

This is completely unacceptable...Yeah i understand we are a hurling county and it will always be number one but i mean c'mon how are we ever going to even hope of progressing with this contemptible attitude from our county board. If I was Niall Carew I would resign on the spot..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Another defeat in London.This team doesn't seem to like travelling by plane!I have to say that's a serious setback.If you want to win promotion then London should have been a handy two points.Then again i hear that London are improving with all the exiled irish people that are moving over there so maybe it's not as easy a fixture as you would think.They can't afford anymore slip ups from now on and their also relying on other teams to drop points.

I wouldnt say its a big shock. London have improved massively in recent years. Normally you'd head over to Ruislip and expect a win barring a catastrophe, but now its a much different proposition. Its interesting so far that we have either won or lost games by very narrow margins, which I think is positive sign.But promotion from Division 4 this year we can forget about anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

WumBuster wrote: »
    I wouldnt say its a big shock. London have improved massively in recent years. Normally you'd head over to Ruislip and expect a win barring a catastrophe, but now its a much different proposition. Its interesting so far that we have either won or lost games by very narrow margins, which I think is positive sign.But promotion from Division 4 this year we can forget about anyway.

Yes but we have apparently improved over the past few years too. I know for a fact that the boys used to use the London away game as an excuse for a piss up weekend away so hopefully Carew has cut this out. I know one of the lads on the London panel and he told me they were missing a few players for the Waterford game. Waterford were excellent at the back but very poor in attack going by what he was saying. Pretty much the same evaluation as from the Limerick game.

On another note: the U21 footballers not training is a absolute joke. We seem to take one step forward, two steps back when it comes to football in this county. 10 years ago this year, we beat Kerry in the U21 Munster Football Final and what has happened since? SFA!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭seananigans

http://eircomsports.eircom.net/News/Hurling-Power-Rankings-3-2013.aspx

WTF is this nonsense? Limerick 5th best in the country, and Dublin are ranked, higher , you wonder what some people do be thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

WTF is this nonsense? Limerick 5th best in the country, and Dublin are ranked, higher , you wonder what some people do be thinking

Pure tripe of an article. Easy know he is a Tipp man living and hurling in Dublin. Limerick, Dublin and Clare ranked above Waterford! Nonsense is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seananigans
    http://eircomsports.eircom.net/News/...gs-3-2013.aspx

Pure tripe of an article. Easy know he is a Tipp man living and hurling in Dublin. Limerick, Dublin and Clare ranked above Waterford! Nonsense is right.

true, should have wexford in there aswell:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

honn the deise great start for us

that is the biggest pile of dung iv ever seen, tipp ranked third and cork ranked fourth

with limerick clare and dubs ranked higher than us

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

honn the deise great start for us

Very strong breeze favouring us, we'll need to stop missing the wides.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Thought this was a 2.30pm throw in but doing well by the sounds of it. Need to keep the scoreboard ticking over with that breeze.

• Advertisement

a goal now would be sweat

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement