Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BREEDING YOUR DOG!!!

Options
  • 04-08-2011 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

My wee rant for today :)
    We own a wee Maltese who has just turned one year old and over the last year no matter who we meet or where, they always ask the same question - When are we going to breed her??
    Does anyone else get this?
    We have no plans to breed her, she is a major part of our family with our other wee dogs and I would have a heart attack if anything happened to her, never mind the children!!
    The reason it really got to me was we had her at the vet last week, (sore ear) and he asked the same question!!!
    Are we at the stage where people think dogs are only for breeding and making money?
    If i do ever breed her, the pups will be for myself and family members, not for sale, though every one we see (interested in dogs) asks if we breed her to keep them in mind!!
    Sorry for the rant once again but am soooooo frustrated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Wizard01 wrote: »
    My wee rant for today :)
    We own a wee Maltese who has just turned one year old and over the last year no matter who we meet or where, they always ask the same question - When are we going to breed her??
    Does anyone else get this?
    We have no plans to breed her, she is a major part of our family with our other wee dogs and I would have a heart attack if anything happened to her, never mind the children!!
    The reason it really got to me was we had her at the vet last week, (sore ear) and he asked the same question!!!
    Are we at the stage where people think dogs are only for breeding and making money?If i do ever breed her, the pups will be for myself and family members, not for sale, though every one we see (interested in dogs) asks if we breed her to keep them in mind!!
    Sorry for the rant once again but am soooooo frustrated!!

Yes we are!! Unfortunately its far too common. Peopl are just under the impression because you have a pedigree dog you must breed it, regardless!

Sure isnt there loads of money to be made... aaaahhhhhh:mad:

Just to add, if you do decide to breed her, make sure she is fully health tested for all conditions relative to the breed and thats not just a routine vet check.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yeah, it's a bit sad and frustrating, really.

Our Sibe for instance is neutered and we've had people come up to us and ask us if he'd stud him with their dog (which sometimes isn't even a Husky), and they're genuinely shocked when we say he's neutered. Like it's some terrible waste and we're complete idiots for getting it done, when he should be out producing litter after litter with random other dogs.

Though slightly worse was when someone actually came up to me and suggested we swap dogs! Like they're objects!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I welcome people asking me this question :D It gives me the opportunity to educate them to the serious health implications of not neutering female dogs. The last person to ask me was the receptionist in the vets, the same vets that identified that she had a hormone imbalance which could lead to increased risk to the already huge risks of pyometra and related cancers and spayed her 8 months ago :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

that one gets my goat as well - i have two westies - a male and a female; I'm regularly asked when I'm going to breed them . When i reply that they are both neutered and I have never had any intention of breeding them, they look at me like I'm mad!! But you'd make a fortune is often the response. I just tell them that they are pets, not money makers and you dont make as much as you think (vets fees etc) but regardless of what I could make, I never had any intention, I would never put my female through it, there are more than enough unwanted and over bred westies in the country - people just dont get it!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

I would like to thank you for posting this and reminding me that there are responsible dog owners out there.
    More often than not, people tell me (when asked if they plan to neuter), 'oh I might want a litter'. Usually they're novices when it comes to breeding and have no idea of possible complications and expenses.
    So thank you, for not breeding your lovely pet, no matter what the pedigree is. Pets can be just pets, they don't have to have babies to earn their keep!
    I know with my last dog (a bitch) there's no way I'd have been able to give away her pups, even to friends or family, as I'd have worried the homes weren't good enough. That (and prevention of cancer, etc) is why she got spayed at 6 months, and if I still had her, I'd do it all over again, even though I loved her to bits and some people told me she'd have lovely pups.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

I get this ALL the bloody time with my akita, and people are always asking me to let them know when i breed him to keep them in mind for a pup. At this stage, I just say, yeah no problem. He was neutered at six months :D so no puppies from him. Worst of all are the people who come up to me, talk about him, mention getting one, and THEN ask what breed he is!! And its always the same thing; "Bet he was expensive, you could make thousands off of him." I usually reply with, "Nah, i'd rather spend thousands on him, feeding him, buying treats, toys etc." People really do think that having a pedigree must equal making money:rolleyes:
    I hate seeing akitas for sale at the moment; there are far too many people after getting them with no idea how to look after them. And the amount advertised as 'perfect for breeding' is shocking, half of them aren't even the right type, or have faults that would disqualify them from the ring straight away.

It seems that few people see dogs as pets in Ireland anymore; now they're just property and used for profit. We really are backwards in this country when it comes to animal welfare, just look at how many puppy farms we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,630 ✭✭✭✭dahat

One could also take it as a compliment,obviously your bitch stands out and must be a good example to the eye........
    Try not to be so harsh and assume the worst.......take it as a compliment of sorts maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

This doesn't just happen with pedigrees. I've had people ask me if I'm going to breed my (spayed) terrier cross. I think that too many people seem to think that a bitch benefits by being allowed to have a litter.
    Another frequent occurrence is that people seem to think I have bred already. As my little girl looks like a smaller version of my boy - and is very puppyish in appearance anyway - I get lots of people asking if they are mother and pup:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Squirm

My gran has bred dogs for much of her life and is always surprised to hear that people with pedigrees are not breeding their dogs. She has always had dogs and loves them to pieces, so it was a natural progression for her to become a breeder. I think she feels that there are so many dogs and puppies in shelters and pounds, that people must want to breed dogs, if they choose to go out and buy one, rather than rehome one. Obviously, times have changed and people have more expendable income than they would have when she bought her first pedigree, so that would be one factor influencing her opinion. But perhaps that is one reason why some of the people who have asked you about breeding have done so...?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Yep, get it all the time, I also got ask this in a vets I went to and from people with lots of dogs who you think would know better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I too get this all the time, a regular comment is "sure you at least have to get your money back" :mad:

My two are boy and girl are both spayed and neutered, I tried to train my boy to show but he's mad and I hadn't time to keep his coat long and groomed, I was asked to breed my boy but I couldn't as I would want to keep the pups myself, no one else would be good enough for them:D

What makes me laugh is the number of people asking do I breed and then asking is my boy a Shih Tzu? He's the size of a spinger(Tibetan terrier), and is the little dog his daughter(Lhasa apso), or are they the same breed? Her head reaches his belly. The only thing they have in common is a long coat (currently clipped).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

We had the exact same issue with our Bichon's. Not so much when we just had the female, but as soon as we got the male we were bombarded with questions about when we were gonna breed them (while he was still very much a pup mind you!)

We initially had no intention of breeding them, it kinda just happened last christmas! We would never, ever do it again! It's too hard letting the little buggers go to new homes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

mymo wrote: »
    I too get this all the time, a regular comment is "sure you at least have to get your money back" :mad:

My two are boy and girl are both spayed and neutered, I tried to train my boy to show but he's mad and I hadn't time to keep his coat long and groomed, I was asked to breed my boy but I couldn't as I would want to keep the pups myself, no one else would be good enough for them:D

What makes me laugh is the number of people asking do I breed and then asking is my boy a Shih Tzu? He's the size of a spinger(Tibetan terrier), and is the little dog his daughter(Lhasa apso), or are they the same breed? Her head reaches his belly. The only thing they have in common is a long coat (currently clipped).

You think thats bad, I was walking my Samoyed and Pomeranian together(picture the size diffrence there) and had 2 people ask are they the same breed.......:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Have had this too sometimes it's the first thing people ask just because he's a Papillon. I think I may of even been asked was I going to breed our mix breed pooch, she would of had adorable pups but no way was I gonna let that happen.
    All my dogs are spayed/neutered just because you have a pb doesn't mean you automatically want to breed them, we got our guy for the love of the breed, maybe he would of been a good show dog who knows but that wasn't important to me main thing was he was healthy and although I love the breed had no intention of breeding him he's a demanding enough diva as it is.

Some people see a pb and just see €€€€s even if the dog isn't a good example of the breed they just think money.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Count your blessings cos all I get is
    "all labradors get hip dysplasia"
    Yeah? sound...he's a retriever and he doesn't have hip dysplasia! GAH!!!
    OR
    "Is she a boy or girl!?" He's kitted outHmm blue harness, blue lead and blue bandana!?!? :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

And here was me thinking it was your god-given duty to breed from your dog if he/she has papers! ;-)
    Tk, talk about mix-ups, I was out walking my dogs last week, when a man approached, pointed at my westie, and said "that's a nice Kerry Blue you've got there"!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Squirm wrote: »
    I think she feels that there are so many dogs and puppies in shelters and pounds, that people must want to breed dogs, if they choose to go out and buy one, rather than rehome one

What a strange logic!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

DBB wrote: »
    I was out walking my dogs last week, when a man approached, pointed at my westie, and said "that's a nice Kerry Blue you've got there"!!!

Mine has been called a shi-tzu, bichon, poodle, border terrier, scottish terrier, yorkie, teddy bear dog and whiskey dog :rolleyes:. I wouldn't mind but the last two are actualy the more 'educated' guesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I have a large Pom and get asked the same all the time, have been asked to swap too! Like wth???

My boy is neutered too!! I've had people run up to me asking if I would let them use my boy as a stud for their female on more than one occasion. Some have attacked me for neutering him on the spot. He's neutered for a reason!!!

I strongly feel there should be a licencing system here if you want to breed and sell dogs you should have to pay for a breeding licence and be registered in a database. It should be illegal to sell Pups without.

But that's not gonna happen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

most vets will tell you [in the UK anyway] that is better for the bitch to have puppiies before getting her seen to,i have a lovely bully[8 month old]and i am always asked if i am going to breed from him,its part of the burden you have to put up with by having a bully,as well as people asking you how much did he cost you,i have never bothered to breed from my last two bullies,but this time i think i will do so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

getz wrote: »
    most vets will tell you [in the UK anyway] that is better for the bitch to have puppiies before getting her seen to,i have a lovely bully[8 month old]and i am always asked if i am going to breed from him,its part of the burden you have to put up with by having a bully,as well as people asking you how much did he cost you,i have never bothered to breed from my last two bullies,but this time i think i will do so.

I'm sorry but I lived in the UK for a very long time and i have never, ever been told by a vet over there that it is better for the bitch to have a litter. Some old fashioned vets may say that, but unfortunately I think its in Ireland that there are more vets with that mindset than in the UK, and they are in a minority.

Is he doing well in shows?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mrsbrady

we're in the same boat, we have a Cav and a shih tzu and everyone asks when we're going to breed them. they've both had their ops and i could never put my babies through that. and as my hubby says, if we did, i'd never give the pups away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would want to breed their dog. Between the expense of the breeding (not to mention the lead up to the breeding), the possible health implications for the bitch, the blood, sweat and tears that goes into rearing a litter and then the worry that you've found just the right homes (no home would be good enough for me :o). The stress of that would be too much for me, not to mention the guilt if I found out a dog I'd bred ended up in a pound or other bad situation.
    Nope, I think I'd rather leave the breeding to those with the knowledge and stomach for it :)

ISDW wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I lived in the UK for a very long time and i have never, ever been told by a vet over there that it is better for the bitch to have a litter. Some old fashioned vets may say that, but unfortunately I think its in Ireland that there are more vets with that mindset than in the UK, and they are in a minority.

Is he doing well in shows?
    no i dont show him,i ued to show my staffie some 35 years ago.

lrushe wrote: »
    For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would want to breed their dog. Between the expense of the breeding (not to mention the lead up to the breeding), the possible health implications for the bitch, the blood, sweat and tears that goes into rearing a litter and then the worry that you've found just the right homes (no home would be good enough for me :o). The stress of that would be too much for me, not to mention the guilt if I found out a dog I'd bred ended up in a pound or other bad situation.
    Nope, I think I'd rather leave the breeding to those with the knowledge and stomach for it :)

Because I think most of those sort of people wouldn't really care that much, they wouldn't be buying the right food for the pups, weaning them off mum properly, looking after mum properly (probably leaving her out in a shed or something). I know it's a bit of a generalisation but I really think the sort of people who would let their dog have a litter to make a bit of money aren't really that concerned with the animals welfare and what sort of home the pups go to or anything like that.

I'm feeling a bit left out though, noone has ever approached me about breeding my two mutts :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Oh i get it all the time. Its even worse when you have 2 pedigree show dogs. I still havent decided if i will breed my bitch or not, its very very risky, takes a huge amount of time, money and effort.
    I would have to take 2-3 weeks off work to stay with mum and pups. Rotties can have up to 12 pups:eek: and to be honest i would struggle to find homes for them as its hard enough to get homes for dogs, let alone a rottweiler.

I would only be breeding if i want to keep something for myself, and i would consider keeping a male and a female. My male is a super show dog and has won a lot and i would love to carry on his progeny. He has been health tested and is fine. The female still has to be done, so if she is healthy enough to breed from then it wont be happening.

To be honest the thoughts of breeding some day doesnt really appeal to me too much as i know how much hard work it will be if i do it.

andreac wrote: »
    Oh i get it all the time. Its even worse when you have 2 pedigree show dogs. I still havent decided if i will breed my bitch or not, its very very risky, takes a huge amount of time, money and effort.
    I would have to take 2-3 weeks off work to stay with mum and pups. Rotties can have up to 12 pups:eek: and to be honest i would struggle to find homes for them as its hard enough to get homes for dogs, let alone a rottweiler.

I would only be breeding if i want to keep something for myself, and i would consider keeping a male and a female. My male is a super show dog and has won a lot and i would love to carry on his progeny. He has been health tested and is fine. The female still has to be done, so if she is healthy enough to breed from then it wont be happening.

To be honest the thoughts of breeding some day doesnt really appeal to me too much as i know how much hard work it will be if i do it.
    i think the big problem in ireland is that with a smaller population it is harder to find a buyer for good dogs,in the UK all good breeds are always in demand and you can be far more selective to who you sell your pup to,when i bought my first staffie 30+ years ago i paid £500 that then was a lot of cash,he came to my home first to check us out,he told me after, that if we hadent had a baby he would not of sold it to me,he also said that if people paid a lot for a dog they would be more likely to look after it,his family had been breeding staffies for four generations .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Goldenegg

I get this alot with our shihtzu...

She is due to be spayed in the next month and the amount of people telling me I'm mad as I could sell each pup for €350-400. No thanks! She is not a machine. She is a family member!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    I'm feeling a bit left out though, noone has ever approached me about breeding my two mutts :rolleyes:

Me neither. Ours obviously aren't good enough! :rolleyes: And mines a pedigree brillo pad and all! :-D

• Advertisement

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Me neither. Ours obviously aren't good enough! :rolleyes: And mines a pedigree brillo pad and all! :-D

I know! I've a Staffrador and a Bollie (or it might be Coxer I'm not sure what they call them.....), honestly, very disappointing....

Advertisement