Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guild Wars 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Why must an MMO be played for months?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Why must an MMO be played for months?

Throughout the course of levelling and enough content to keep you interested at max level, you should be talking 3 months minimum...

TheDoc wrote: »
    Throughout the course of levelling and enough content to keep you interested at max level, you should be talking 3 months minimum...

But why? It is absurd to ask for 3 months minimum playtime from a non sub based game. If they were charging a subscription fee sure, You expect to have enough content for months but it isn't, It is no different than the likes of Skyrim or any other story based game other than the fact that it is an MMO rather than a single player game.

The fact is you spent €50 for 2 weeks of what I assume to be entertainment which would be a massive success for most games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

An MMORPG with a subscription OR micro transactions shouldn't be compared to skyrim at all... (Besides the fact that skyrim is superior in almost every area bar the MP aspects).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Magill wrote: »
    An MMORPG with a subscription OR micro transactions shouldn't be compared to skyrim at all... (Besides the fact that skyrim is superior in almost every area bar the MP aspects).

I'm not getting into this as comparing an MMO to Skyrim is absurd, but are you really saying the Combat in Skyrim is superior to GW2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Obviously its absurd and fair point, Minus combat + mp :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Did Warcraft have this at launch? I'm not being smart, just can't really remember.

And while i know we can't compare a newly launched MMO to Warcraft when it was launched, is it not a bit unfair to expect a new MMO to have such a large amount of content?
    Magill wrote: »
    Obviously its absurd and fair point, Minus combat + mp :D
    Is it weird that i'd prefer the combat in Skyrim to Guild Wars 2? :o

Always wanted a well done melee system, that wasn't just based on stats/combat bars. If only Mortal Online hadn't sucked so much ass.

Big Knox wrote: »
    I'm not getting into this as comparing an MMO to Skyrim is absurd, but are you really saying the Combat in Skyrim is superior to GW2?

I was making a comparison based on how the games should be played.

A normal MMO is based around obtaining the best items while Gw2 and most single player games are based around exploration and story.

Kiith wrote: »
    Did Warcraft have this at launch? I'm not being smart, just can't really remember.

And while i know we can't compare a newly launched MMO to Warcraft when it was launched, is it not a bit unfair to expect a new MMO to have such a large amount of content?

Warcraft didnt have alot, but MMO players were 8 years younger and inexperienced. But there was enough there for people to do, gear, raids, dungeons etc.

However you cannot compare a game now to a game that came out 8 years ago.

Developers and publishers should be looking over a 8 year history through the graveyard of dead MMO's and learning lessons, aswell as the successful ones ( not many)

@Completionist
    Its an online game, lets be real here. If you buy an online game and play it for 2 weeks thats pretty fail. An online game should keep you plaiyng for months atleast!

League of legends, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, Counter strike, call of duty, quake to name a few of the top of my head.....

To say that because its F2p is an excuse for it to have a quick burnout/minimal endgame content is incorrect.

F2P was a MASSIVE selling point for them, not an excuse to have little variation and options at max level.

Its a persistant, existing MMO universe, it shouldnt suffer from " meh nothing to do" after two weeks in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ShaneScouse

Its a persistant, existing MMO universe, it shouldnt suffer from " meh nothing to do" after two weeks in my opinion.

A fair point, but there is lots to do, just content you don't want to do or don't like.

There is people who don't like carrot chasing grinds, treadmill raids eating whole evenings and elite/loot driven games. They would get to 50 in rift, 75 in lotro, 90 in wow and go meh feck all to do. And go back to GW2 to do some PVP or casual lvling and odd run for the challenge and fun not the loot or progression.(on that note I must say the dunjuns need some major tweaking, rewards and balance issues are a bit much, and I see why alot hate em)

I'm not even sure which camp I'm in tbh, I spent a long time grinding raids on lotro and wow, but you can see what I'm getting at. Not everyone has the same perspective on MMOs as yourself, granted alot do otherwise most wouldn't have the usual endgame that we are used to, but GW2 said they are different and wanted to change stuff, so there ya go :)

I think a mate of mine summed it up very well,He labeled GW2 as his football manager.(A game known for being easy to do/hop into, and don't take a whole lot of effort but will still eat your whole evening away, a game for gamers who aren't in the mood for a game that takes alot of effort :P )
    He said to me he will still raid and do some runs in wow or lotro when hes in a grindy hardcore mmo sort of mood, and when hes not or when he needs a break from it then he will play gw2 casually, and relax lvling or doing pvp.

Im not sure why people just cant accept that a mmo doesnt have to be a life stealer, you don't have to sit down at your pc at 7pm-11pm every night and be driven to get that extra 1 stat for some character and it has to be done, I think people have come to acustomed to the grind and feel that grind/massive timesink = all that an mmo can be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

meh nothing to do" after two weeks in my opinion.

Thats just your opinion though. It's not mine. You played the game wrong by going from heart to heart BTW. But, I'm not going to explain why because I don't think you're at all really interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I loved the levelling experience in GW2, but repeat leveling chars through the same zones I have just done isn't for me, world zerg PvP isn't for me and there is feck all PvE stuff to do at 80 and little incentive as there is no gear to chase. I's a shame but after a couple of weeks at 80 there is nothing really left to do.

Inquitus wrote: »
    I loved the levelling experience in GW2, but repeat leveling chars through the same zones I have just done isn't for me, world zerg PvP isn't for me and there is feck all PvE stuff to do at 80 and little incentive as there is no gear to chase. I's a shame but after a couple of weeks at 80 there is nothing really left to do.

Did you do 100% map completion?

Did you do 100% map completion?

80% and got bored, going to unexplored lowbie zones and being downranked.

Inquitus wrote: »
    80% and got bored, going to lowbie zones and being downranked.
    Did you get any legendaries or level a crafting skill? How many secret chests did you find?

Did you get any legendaries or level a crafting skill? How many secret chests did you find?

Cba with legendaries massive grind, maxed out 3 crafts, all that takes is enough gold and an hour per craft, did most of the puzzles.

Thats just your opinion though. It's not mine. You played the game wrong by going from heart to heart BTW. But, I'm not going to explain why because I don't think you're at all really interested.

If your not going to bother reading my posts properly I dont see the point in you being all huffy with me.

I did heart to heart, 100% area completion and events I came accross?

I'm sorry, thats the wrong way to level? Gimme a break, there is no "right" way to level, you get max level, end off...

If you do it through pvp grind, questing or killing the same mob spawning for 3 years, its whatever way gets you there.

If your not going to bother reading my posts properly I dont see the point in you being all huffy with me.

I'm sorry, thats the wrong way to level? Gimme a break, there is no "right" way to level, you get max level, end off...

If you do it through pvp grind, questing or killing the same mob spawning for 3 years, its whatever way gets you there.

Just because the heart goes solid and you get XP and Karma doesn't mean you completed the dynamic event. You only saw one part of it. So, no you didn't complete 100% of the zone. Hearts are not quest hubs. Hearts just guide you to an area where some of the dynamic events will take place. Dynamic events happen all over the zone. Many off the beat and track. ArenaNet only put the hearts in after their test group didn't know where to go with nothing to guide them. "Getting to max level, end off" is how you play the traditional WoW type MMO not GW2. That mind set is why going back to a lower zone to you seems pointless when in fact it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Well done, clearly making it to lvl 80 we wouldnt know that heart's have more than one event attached to them. :rolleyes:

Lone Stone wrote: »
    Well done, clearly making it to lvl 80 we wouldnt know that heart's have more than one event attached to them. :rolleyes:

The funny thing about this post is that heart's do not have more than one event tied to them:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

The funny thing about this post is that heart's do not have more than one event tied to them:)

you know what i meant dont be a prat.

Lone Stone wrote: »
    you know what i meant dont be a prat.

The irony.

Just because the heart goes solid and you get XP and Karma doesn't mean you completed the dynamic event. You only saw one part of it. So, no you didn't complete 100% of the zone. Hearts are not quest hubs. Hearts just guide you to an area where some of the dynamic events will take place. Dynamic events happen all over the zone. Many off the beat and track. ArenaNet only put the hearts in after their test group didn't know where to go with nothing to guide them. "Getting to max level, end off" is how you play the traditional WoW type MMO not GW2. That mind set is why going back to a lower zone to you seems pointless when in fact it's not.

The area gives me the achievement and box for 100% completion, then its 100% complete, its an MMO..if I wanted to turn over every rock for something I'd play SKyrim or castrate myself....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

How do you craft legendary weapons?I always see people walking around with really cool swords and armor

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Lot of misinformation in this thread.

Heart quests are like your quest givers in your traditional MMO, in my opinion are quiet boring and according to the devs were put in after alpha testing showed that ppl didn't know what to do in a zone. Fair enough give people a bit of direction when they get into a zone.

Dynamic quest are the orange quests that pop up in the top right corner of the screen when something starts happening like the centaurs begin to raid a town. These do not give anything towards the 100% completion of a map. If you have only done 100% in a zone and have not got involved in the dynamic quests you have basically missed most the content of that zone!

Was in Harathi Hinterlands last night and spent a good hour in a dynamic quest line that had me defending a seraph captain while he raided a centaur camp. When that was completed another dynamic quest started getting us to defeat the centaur beasts(huge dog like things) that started attacking the captain. When this was completed a champion modnir Centaur started summoning these HUGE earth elemental hand things. At this stage there was about 20 ppl in the dynamic quest and lots of people getting downed but we managed to take out the elemental thing! Finally the champion Centaur modnir guy decided to take us on himself, spent 20 minutes trying to kill that guy, he was summoning these wind spirt things that kept knocking ppl away and 2 shot spikes that would kill a player if you didnt dodge! When we finally killed this guy there was a lot of rejoicing from everybody, and my adreniline was definitley pumping!! :D A chest then spawned with lots of goodies for everybody that took part!

The sense of achievement and feeling that everybody came together for a single purpose was nothing like what i've felt in an MMO before! This was a single path for this dynamic quest, if we had failed at any stage of the dynamic quest a different path would have to be taken!

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭_Puma_

I was like this at the beginning too, was basically focused on getting the 100% and didn't really pay too much attention to the dynamic quests. Would do one if it happened to be on in the area that I was but ignored it if it started to move away from where the heart quests were. Was fine but this wasn't really the vision that was in the manifesto for the game. This probably happens as a result of the addition of the heart quests and the 100% completion of the map. In my opinion the heart quests should have nothing to do with the completion of the map. It should solely be down to discovering points of interest, vistas and waypoints! Perhaps renaiming it to 100% explored rather than completed would help too!

Another example of how a dynamic quest started off the beaten track or heart quests. Came across this runied temple place in Harthi hinterlands. Was loads of angry ghosts about. Decided id go for a look inside, fighting my way through with another random person that happened to be nearby. Eventually we get to a central chamber place, press the interact key beside a coffin in the middle the chamber but a dialogue comes up that basically said nothing was happening. Not content that I had gotten all the way here without anything happening I explored on offshoot room that had a ruined statue to Dwanya. Pressed interact but a dialogue cam up saying that it looked like people have kneeled here. So typed /kneel at the statue and an avatar to dwanya appear. A dialogue then appeared explaining why these spirits were so pissed off, told me to go back to the coffin and speak some guys name. So went back and this time another option in the dialogue appeared allowing me to speak this guys name. Sure enough this spirit guy appears from the coffin and he is seriously pissed off! With the help of two other random ppl we downed this spirit guy and a nice chest spawned! All the angry spirits in the temple are now neutral and do not attack us on sight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

How do you craft legendary weapons?I always see people walking around with really cool swords and armor

Not 100% sure, but they are forged in Zomorro's forge in Lions arch.

You need to buy some of the components from Miyani in Lions arch for skill points. You also need to be a level 400 weaponsmith or huntsman depending on which weapon you are forging. Level 400 armorsmith / leather worker for armor. You also apparently need lots of skill points to use the weapons. I don't know where you get the recipes.

The cool weapons might be legendarys or just cool skins that people have found and transmuted onto their weapons. If you use fine transmutation stones, you can change the appearance of your weapons / armor to keep good stats but look like another weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Omphin

TheDoc, just go back to failing at WoW. I'm sick of reading ur opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

still loving this game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

This might give you some hints, odd that they posted this blog on the same day you asked the question.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/my-legend-grows-forging-your-first-legendary-weapon/

Advertisement