Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony e-reader

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Giggler

Havn't checked in in a while, and i was just going through the posts.

In relation to purchasing from amazon.co.uk, i have purchased electronics from them before, uising my Irish credit card and a friends English address, it worked out fine, she just posted it to me, or i collected stuff when i went to see her.

If you had someone overthere that could do thet for you, jou could try that.

Still looking for the perfect electrinic alternative to the paper, need a house for the books at this stage, or i will have do do a serious amount of clearing out which i dont want to do, but i have a stack of books as tall as me waiting for a shelf!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭dsignr25

bedlam wrote: »
    Neither Watersones UK nor Amazon will deliver to Ireland so you'd have to have a UK address.

I bought mine from Waterstones online just after Christmas so they were sending to Ireland then.

Got it for about 225 including the delivery - the euro rates helped:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 only1mickie

I wanted to buy one of those readers but they are pretty slow I have red. If you have like a big pdf of 8 mb for example the time to switch the pages can go up to 15 seconds! So I would wait for the next gen maybe. I assume those things will be pretty popular in the future so they will probably get much better?.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭filo87

I wanted to buy one of those readers but they are pretty slow I have red. If you have like a big pdf of 8 mb for example the time to switch the pages can go up to 15 seconds! So I would wait for the next gen maybe. I assume those things will be pretty popular in the future so they will probably get much better?.

I have a Sony reader. Just checked there using an 11.5Mb PDF and a page turn takes 2 seconds. Not a problem when you're reading as you quickly get into the habit of pressing the page turn button a few lines before the end of the page.

Peats Electronic also sells them..

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=24911

What I read, you can also listen to MP3 while reading? This would be too much of a distraction?

I read you can store over 150 books with its built-in memory? the same with spare memory cards to store extra books or content?? how much MB are they for both of them and much would the extra spare memory cards cost??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

I have one and it reads txt, pdf, rtf, and sony (epub which is just html), No problems with downloading books for it from pb.

oK if you click into the eBook Reader Reviews below this will give details on each ebook reader..

http://www.dashreviews.com/ebookreaders/index.htm?gclid=CP20pZC-2pkCFQOaFQodNXVAVw

I know now the build in memory of sony one is 192 Mbs!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

You can now download books from South Dublin Co Co Library as ebooks. They last three weeks and then disable themselves.

Do a google search for SOuth Dublin Libraries.

Their selection is fairly small for now (hopefully the more that use it will encourage them to expand it), but if you're really serious the New York Public libraries will let non-NY residents join for $100 per annum. Has to be done by post though. They have a pretty good selection of ebooks to download.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 funny1

byte wrote: »
    I've seen that it'll only load ebooks bought in the Sony shop which are in a proprietary Sony format....

Seems as stupid as their first "mp3" players being only able to play Atrac files.
    This is not the case. Sony Reader is the only "open format" electronic reader. You may be thinking of the Kindle which only allows Amazon books to be downloaded

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Giggler

I had the opportunity to read using the sony 505 last night. Have to say, i was not impressed. The one i was using was in the cover with the light screen, which made it very heavy, i know it is lighter out of it, but good to see it in it

The font on the page was just uncomfortably to small, the next size up, to big, and the one after that was enormous. The refresh rate that had bothered me before was as slow as ever, and having got so used to navigation by touch screen or a mouse with electronic items, it was hard going back to buttons again.

I had been very close to purchasing one, and now i don't think i will bother, i can buy a lot of books and shelf space for the equivilent money. Just to expensive for what you get.:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

Anyone have a recommendation for an ereader that works very well with scanned a4 text - i.e. reports, papers, work stuff in general?

Thanks

B

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭freida

Just bumping this up to see how you are all getting on with your e-readers, any tips of pitfalls for those of us still on the sideline? thanks, f.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

I bought mine on a bit of a spur of the moment back in July and I have to say I am happy with the purchase. I have read 4 books since buying it, I hadnt read 4 books in the previous 3 years!

I like the fact I can listen to mp3s so it saves having to bring my mp3 player. Don't get me wrong if there was any area which I would like to see an improvement in it is the functions of the mp3 player. You cant change songs or do pretty much anything apart from change the volume when you are reading!

But for the price it gets my vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

With using Calibre I love my Sony Reader 505. Find it a lot easier to read on than I thought I would. With the auld memory card in it, I have about 1,000 books to choose from at any time. Saves me money in the long run :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

freida wrote: »
    Just bumping this up to see how you are all getting on with your e-readers, any tips of pitfalls for those of us still on the sideline? thanks, f.

Enjoying my PRS-505 since I got it in June - I have read a good few books on it by now. I have to travel a bit with work, so it's very handy.

I've been using www.booksonboards.com and www.diesel-ebooks.com and that seems to be fine. Still really pissed off that a eBook costs the same as a physical book though.

I've noticed that the formats aren't always exactly correct though, but that might be to do with the zoom level I am using. Main problem is that it can be an absolute pig when it tries to open PDFs (easily a minute to change pages). When I convert them to another format, then it can just end up as one massive block of text, removing all formatting.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭vigos

Patrickof wrote: »
    Y
    Their selection is fairly small for now (hopefully the more that use it will encourage them to expand it), but if you're really serious the New York Public libraries will let non-NY residents join for $100 per annum. Has to be done by post though. They have a pretty good selection of ebooks to download.

I´ve been trying to find information on their website for this but couldn´t find it, would have a link?

also do you know if this will work with the sony e-reader P600?

Great thanks for all the feedback! Yeah thats a bit dissapointing about the cost alright. You'd kinda imagine that they'd be cheaper or at least you'd be able to avail of deals like two for one. I'd had a look at these two sites www.mobipocket.com www.allromanceebooks.com someone mentioned that they use but their seemed to be a lot of 'adult content' . Neither of them seemed great or particularly cheap. The kindle is shipping here now from amazon, but some of the titles won't be available on it here due to copyright issues. So i don't know how that would work out?

here's a link, the 100€ or whatever is probably necessary as a deposit to sign up for a card. http://ebooks.nypl.org/DFEF7EF0-2D1B-49DA-9FF8-F613FC5EB292/10/257/en/Default.htm hth's f.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭vigos

no just talked with a librarian online, she told me they´ve stopped this service to non-residents a while back which is a pity

Jeez thats a bummer, just when I was thinking of getting one, f.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 DirectEbooks

Hi Guys.
    I've seen some comments about poor display and formatting on the sony reader and I'd just like to add my tuppence worth. I own a prs-505 and I have handled and used about 14 different types of readers, all brands.

Regarding poor presentation and display, the main issue is the type of file you are using. The best format for the Sony readers is ePub. This type of format is widely available in Uk and Irish ebook stores. It automatically "reflows" the text to fit the screen size without losing the shape of paragraphs, splitting words or giving blank pages. These are problems generally associated with pdf files which currently dominate the market.

So try and buy epub files where you can.

If anyone has any other questions, just shout!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Gazza1000

Hi Guys,
    Can I ask is there any problems with purchasing an E-book reader in the states and using it here in Ireland? I'm getting someone a X-mas pressie and am in NY next week so was thinking the value would be better over there ($). Anyone any experience of doing this? Also, are these devices fairly user friendly? The person I'm getting this for is not tech head by any means so just want to be able to turn on and read, just like a book!

Appreciate any advice!

Gazza...

Hi Gazza.

there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to buy a reader in the states. they charge via usb, so power supply isnt a problem.

As to how difficult they are to use, the only issues you'll have is downloading the eBooks. Like anything, the first time or two will take a little figuring out, but after that you're flying!

let me know if you have any more specific questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Gazza1000

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Hi, does anyone know if the reader works in french as well or would you have to buy a French-specific model?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Accountsplus

I don't own a sony ereader myself but my guess is that the readers are not tied to a specific language.
    I say that for two reasons.
    One, many English books will include some French words.
    If it can reproduce one French word then....
    Secondly, ereaders support French-English dictionaries. Again if it can reproduce the French words it must be able to reproduce a full book.
    Waterstones sell a french english dictionary in ebook format. http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/advancedSearch.do?buttonClicked=1&title=&author=&bookkeywords=french-english+dictionary&format=3757&ctx=&price=&age=&isbn=

just ring the sony shop in liffey valley or elsewhere to be sure, f.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭reverandkenjami

E-reader related question! Bought one of them for the other half as an xmas present! Downloaded books from WHsmith and they show up in adobe digital edition but wothout the book cover! Is the cover meant to show on the e-readers? Its in Epub format

If they are in epub format, they should display the cover. It may be to do with your settings.
    By the library button top left, there is a down arrow click it and click thumbnail view.

Let me know if this works for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 wjc

Other half got me Sony PRS 600 for xmas. What are best sites to download books from and any other tips?

Advertisement