Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mature Student Interviews and Post-Interviews

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Tallaght IT have contacted me a few hours ago to schedule an interview for May 13th at 10 to 3 .My two top choices on cao have been in touch now which is always a great thing .

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bloodstormaoa

Ross1986 wrote: »
    What course did you apply for? I have an interview for P.E teaching on the 8th May, the interviews are being held on 8th & 9th of May according to the admissions.

I've applied for 3 courses in UL, my top choice, but only the Arts (Joint Honours) will have an interview. It's likely a popular course but as I understand it, so is P.E. at UL? Glad you have a date to look forward to! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Drezden

Just got a letter from DCU, I've been accepted for my course in Computer Applications. Delighted and shocked at the same time. Really wasn't expecting any feedback for at least another month. :D

Best of luck to the rest of you guys in your interviews. Hope you all get the course you're after!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Prairie Girl

Well done to you Drezden! All the waiting over now. I'm sick waiting myself but have been told interview may not be until June! Best of luck :)

Well done to you Drezden! All the waiting over now. I'm sick waiting myself but have been told interview may not be until June! Best of luck :)

You think it's ages away but the time will fly by !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Slime Princess

Has anyone received any correspondence from UCD about interviews?

I think I scored reasonably well with my MSAP results, but having my application for Trinity rejected today has really knocked my confidence and I'm worried that I won't hear back from UCD, and if I do it won't be good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

Has anyone received any correspondence from UCD about interviews?

I think I scored reasonably well with my MSAP results, but having my application for Trinity rejected today has really knocked my confidence and I'm worried that I won't hear back from UCD, and if I do it won't be good news.

Hard luck with Trinity. Haven't heard anything from UCD myself yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MyNameIsMethos

Follow-up to my interview last month in NUI Maynooth: got the email today saying I've secured the place! That's the back-up covered, now just to get date of gmit interview to see where I stand with first choice!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Had an interview in NUIM on the 17th of April and then received a letter telling me I'd be offered a place on the course through the C.A.O. on Tuesday just gone (29th of April), happy days.

Interview for the same course in UCC next Thursday and hoping for similarly quick reply from them, I'm still not sure which I'm going to list as #1 choice but leaning towards NUIM because I know more about the course there, have more contacts in the area and felt really good about meeting the staff there and think it would be a good fit for me.

Have to cancel all my interviews for the level 7 courses I applied for now though as I don't want to waste their time or my own going forward with the interviews when I have no intention of taking a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ross1986

Congrats!

• Advertisement

Fair play man :)

Seaneh wrote: »
    Had an interview in NUIM on the 17th of April and then received a letter telling me I'd be offered a place on the course through the C.A.O. on Tuesday just gone (29th of April), happy days.

Interview for the same course in UCC next Thursday and hoping for similarly quick reply from them, I'm still not sure which I'm going to list as #1 choice but leaning towards NUIM because I know more about the course there, have more contacts in the area and felt really good about meeting the staff there and think it would be a good fit for me.

Have to cancel all my interviews for the level 7 courses I applied for now though as I don't want to waste their time or my own going forward with the interviews when I have no intention of taking a place.

What did they cover in your interview?

What did they cover in your interview?

Well I applied for youth and community work so mostly just my experience and understanding of the subject and why I wanted to apply for the course. Very relaxed informal atmosphere.

It obviously went well anyway so fair play. Have mine on Thursday, looking forward to it actually as it's been what I've been gearing towards so hopefully it goes well. Was there much competition from mature students for your course?

It obviously went well anyway so fair play. Have mine on Thursday, looking forward to it actually as it's been what I've been gearing towards so hopefully it goes well. Was there much competition from mature students for your course?

I honestly don't know over all but there was about 40 people interviewed that day and I'd say the majority were mature students.

It's a restricted access course, you have to have experience in the area to be accepted so most people will be mature students, they have lowered their consideration age for mature students from 23 to 21 for the course though.

I was talking to a member of the department while there and they said that they didn't have any mature student or CAO quotas for the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Wake_Up_Donnie

I received a letter inviting me to an interview and info/advisory session from GMIT for Medical Science. Has anyone been to one of these before and have any idea what to expect?

Jaysus Donnie: we're going for the same course! My interview is on at 13:30 this coming Monday; I'll let you know the gist of it&the questions they ask, if there is anything irregular, once I come out of it.

Jaysus Donnie: we're going for the same course! My interview is on at 13:30 this coming Monday; I'll let you know the gist of it&the questions they ask, if there is anything irregular, once I come out of it.

I'm afraid my interview is on at the same time! Thanks anyway! I was hoping somebody who did it last year might have any advice. Did your letter give you an option between 9.30 and 1.30 because mine only stated 9.30? I rang admissions and stated that I wouldn't be able to be there for 9.30 as I'll be using public transport and they said to come at 1.30 instead.

Hopefully Medical Science is one of the courses where "all applicants deemed suitable will be recommended for the offer of a place". Don't fancy waiting another year to apply again.

Nope; mine only gave the option of 1:30, didn't know that the interviews were starting that early in there! Can't say I like being one of the last interviewed, but conversely it'll mean that we'll have the best shot of leaving a lasting imprint.

Med Science is one of their high demand courses. Along with applying for it, I applied for a few level 6/7's. On the bottom of the letter regarding those it states that Med. Science, Film&Documentary and Social Studies, along with their Furniture Design courses in Letterfrack, are courses where the applicants will be called in to determine suitability. Best bet for being suitable I'm guessing is to have a working knowledge of what the coursework entails&to have some way of showing that you've planned out how you're going to work through the years ahead.

Assuming the ethos is the same for interviews across the land, it's not an inquisition but rather a generally relaxed chat that's involved. Even if you go in to it a bit nervous, it won't be any cause of alarm: it'll be the same for nigh every person going in to see them. I'm thinking it'll only be the guy who goes in too laxadasical or without thinking their future plans through properly who may have to worry.

Good luck anyway, hope you get an offer (unless your place&my place are the same, in which case I wish me luck!).

Good luck to you too! :) Can't wait until it's over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Dhaironthat

Hi just wondering has anyone had any interviews for sligoIT for human nutrition and health and have they heard anything back???

Had my interview on Thursday. As people have said already it was quite informal and the people interviewing made you feel at ease. They went through most of the generic questions that are on the other threads, started off with asking me for a background on myself, then moved on to knowledge of the course, why UL, what your elective pathway will be, etc. They do seem to press you on how you will be able to support yourself financially and also how you'll cope with the workload, etc. They asked me twice about how I would find it that most of my peers on the course would be leaving cert students but im only mid 20's so that's not a huge issue for me. Only question I thought I could have answered better would have been "Why should you be top of my list?", answered it ok but could have been better.

They were interviewing 30 people for about 10 places and we find out by Friday at the latest so it will be a nervous wait until then.

Fair play man, I wish you luck :)

Think I shot myself in the foot regarding Medical Science in GMIT; went in half-cocked, belittled my selling points while also alluding that I perhaps dislike biology T.T

Will know soon enough I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sarsom

I've applied to Maynooth to go back to do primary teaching. Have my interview next wednesday in St Pats! Bricking it!!!! has anyone that is doing the same or has previously done the irish and english interviews any tips on what may be asked?? ESPECIALLY IRISH!

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Just got offered my top choice place in DKIT . I'm absolutely over the moon !!!!! I only did the interview last Monday too .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Best of luck folks, I just finished a 4 year Computer Science degree in UL, last exam last Saturday, now 34 years of age, was a carpenter for 13 years before that !! The time flies, you will be finished in no time. Really looking forward to getting back to work and having a few ££ in the pocket again ! Can spoil the kids :)

Good luck

Was meant to find out the result of the interview by Friday at the latest but now we won't know until "early this week". Feeling less and less confident each day since the interview, the wait is torturous haha. Congrats to those who have secured their place on their chosen course!

Was meant to find out the result of the interview by Friday at the latest but now we won't know until "early this week". Feeling less and less confident each day since the interview, the wait is torturous haha. Congrats to those who have secured their place on their chosen course!

Ah it could be a number of issues . I wouldn't worry too much about it at all . I'm sure you will get your course .

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

Has anybody heard from or been invited to an interview in Mary I? I know they are on 11 June but have not received anything from them. Getting nervous now ...

• Advertisement

fima wrote: »
    Has anybody heard from or been invited to an interview in Mary I? I know they are on 11 June but have not received anything from them. Getting nervous now ...

I only got two weeks notice for DKIT so it could be a case of letting people know soon enough !

Advertisement