Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Books that you have read which did live up to the hype

Options
  • 08-04-2014 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭

Basically starting this thread to defend Catch 22, which is getting a bit of a battering in the Books that Disappointed Thread.
    I did the reverse on Catch 22 by reading the book and then watching the film and I didn't like the film, the book is better ;)

I did the reverse of that reverse with One Flew Over the Cuckoos nest but enjoyed both the film and the book.

I find a lot of books are being hyped to unbelievable levels nowadays so they can achieve massive figures right out of the gate. This process obviously leads to disappointments but what books have lived up to - or even surpassed the hype - for you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

The Goldfinch

Even though it was hyped up to such a degree, it still surpassed my expectations. I had the feeling all through reading it that this was a book that would stay with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

11 22 63

I don't like Stephen King's books but decided to read 11.22.63 based on reviews and it did live up to all the hype.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

The Count of Monte Cristo is absolutely as good as its reputation would lead you to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

quickbeam wrote: »
    The Count of Monte Cristo is absolutely as good as its reputation would lead you to believe.

I was put off reading the Count of Monte Cristo because its nearly 900 pages long, but my god it was worth it! It is actually an amazing story! None of the films or adaptations could ever do it justice I think.

Two books that really lived up to their reputations as a classics were To Kill a Mockingbird and 1984. I reluctantly read both as I had been so disappointed with a couple of other books I had read because they were so-called classics.
    But To Kill a Mocking Bird is amazing and 1984 is excellent and for me really do define what a modern classic should be.

I love the "classic" classics too like Monte Cristo and Dracula and Jane Austens books and Dangerous Liaisons . Dracula was WAY better than I thought it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Rory Gallagher

Ulysses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭fiachraX

I'd second 'To Kill a Mockingbird'. I think it's on the Leaving Cert syllabus now, which might take the shine off it for some who have to study it, but I read it before that and it really struck a chord.

fiachraX wrote: »
    I'd second 'To Kill a Mockingbird'. I think it's on the Leaving Cert syllabus now, which might take the shine off it for some who have to study it, but I read it before that and it really struck a chord.

I had to do Silas Marner. Worst book I ever read. and that is not just because I did it in school .

Dracula lived up to my expectations too. I actually liked it a lot more than I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

fiachraX wrote: »

Thirded! :) Fantastic book.

I don't think having to study it will take that much of a shine off it. I had to study Lord of the Flies and Animal Farm for school, and if anything, I enjoyed them more for it, especially LotF. It was nice having the added depth teased out for us, probably would've missed a lot of it if I was left to my own devices.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Thirded! :) Fantastic book.

I don't think having to study it will take that much of a shine off it. I had to study Lord of the Flies and Animal Farm for school, and if anything, I enjoyed them more for it, especially LotF. It was nice having the added depth teased out for us, probably would've missed a lot of it if I was left to my own devices.

My brother had done LotF in school too, so last year I said Id read it. Sure its only 80 odd pages, how hard can it be?!?!

I hated it! took me about 3 wks to read the fecking thing because I dreaded picking it up.

I am going to read animal farm soon, its been on the list for a while!
    I read Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry recently, another book that people I know have done in school. I liked that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Catcher in the rye is the biggest load of shyte I've ever read. How it's considered a classic is beyond me..
    Edit: Looks like I misread the title of this thread but I stand by what I said. Catchere in the rye is total bóllox..

• Advertisement

GerB40 wrote: »
    Catcher in the rye is the biggest load of shyte I've ever read. How it's considered a classic is beyond me..
    Edit: Looks like I misread the title of this thread but I stand by what I said. Catchere in the rye is total bóllox..

Feel free to give us a book that DID live up to the hype though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Room By Emma Donoghue

I found it totally enthralling.

I remember lord of the flies and to kill a mockingbird fondly from school too.

SarahBM wrote: »
    Feel free to give us a book that DID live up to the hype though :D

The book thief. The writing style is a bit unusual but the story is brilliant..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

quickbeam wrote: »

I second this. I read the unabridged version in French and it was utterly engaging.

In a certain respect, it comes across almost as pure fantasy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I'm not sure I understand the concept of this thread properly, it's books that you've heard are good that turn out to be good?
    I could give hundreds of examples, some of which have been given by others.
    The count of Monte Cristo crops up regularly on this forum, I may have a crack off it some time.

I'm not sure I understand the concept of this thread properly, it's books that you've heard are good that turn out to be good?
    I could give hundreds of examples, some of which have been given by others.
    The count of Monte Cristo crops up regularly on this forum, I may have a crack off it some time.

Books that some has said to you "OMG this is the best book I have ever read! You have to read it!" and you like "Ok so, I'll give it a go"

and when you have finished your like "OMG they were so right!" :D:D:D

Books that some has said to you "OMG this is the best book I have ever read! You have to read it!" and you like "Ok so, I'll give it a go"

and when you have finished your like "OMG they were so right!" :D:D:D

OK, I'll give you Crime and Punishment so. Birdsong also.

Isnt Crime and Punishment that Russian book that's like 1000 pages??? I have tried reading other russian books and I nearly died. I dont think Id read that. Birdsong, I would be willing to try. :D

Isnt Crime and Punishment that Russian book that's like 1000 pages??? I have tried reading other russian books and I nearly died. I dont think Id read that. Birdsong, I would be willing to try. :D

My copy is 434 pages, not one of which is dull.:p

My copy is 434 pages, not one of which is dull.:p

OK ok its going on the list! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Are you thinking of War and Peace? I have the two books on my shelf for a couple of years and can't bring myself to start. So many other good books to read that are shorter!

TransAtlantic was another one that I felt lived up to the hype and the kids book Watership Down is one of my all time favourites

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Miss.Mayhem

GerB40 wrote: »

I completely agree. I've never hated a character in a book as much as I hated Holden Caulfield. He was such a whiny little wanker. I don't understand how this book has made it on to so many "top 100" literature lists.

I completely agree. I've never hated a character in a book as much as I hated Holden Caulfield. He was such a whiny little wanker. I don't understand how this book has made it on to so many "top 100" literature lists.

Yes I certainly agree with you there, Couldn't stand his self-important attitude to everything.
    Maybe it was the desired effect for us to dislike him perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Not one mention of 50 Shades of Grey yet?

I have to be honest, I haven't read it, but based on reviews from learned and book-wormy friends I've been avoiding it.

Maybe I should give it a go.

Thoughts?

SamAK wrote: »

I have to be honest, I haven't read it, but based on reviews from learned and book-wormy friends I've been avoiding it.

Thoughts?

Get away outta that.
    Read something with a bit of substance, and not something written with an appeal to the lowest common denominator.
    William Trevor's once stated something along the lines that literature is being converted into some sort of fashion where much of works recently published are more talked about than read which certainly applies to 50 shades of grey.

Anyhow I really have taken a liking to James Joyce lately, I love his prose which seems to convey a joyous feeling running parallel with a morose feeling and is never tied down to a single meaning.Always multiple meanings from his inventive word-play.

Anyways Dubliners is simply astonishing,I think many people could benefit greatly from reading it.
    I've read so much about 'The Dead' that when I got about ten pages into it I felt somewhat ... disapointed.The tables turned thankfully and that ending is so good.Genius writing there and I seriously recommend it.

I've not read much of Portrait yet,Read Ulysses and loved it(not getting into here, would take night and day) and I'm going over Finnegans Wake and love it.Like magic to the ear as its a very lyrical and musical book.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Miss.Mayhem

Thoughts?

Don't! It reads like a horny 12 year old boy wrote it. Best to avoid it at all costs.

Don't! It reads like a horny 12 year old boy wrote it. Best to avoid it at all costs.

All it is is a trendy piece of **** designed for people that want to brag about managing to read a book.

Will be considered what it truly is when the last of the hype has been dusted away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Read something with a bit of substance, and not something written with an appeal to the lowest common denominator....

I mentioned giving it a go because I feel that I can't really have an opinion on it if I haven't read it. I'll try it if someone gives me a copy, because I sure as hell am not paying for it.

Reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman at the moment. Good so far, full of mythology.
    ....literature is being converted into some sort of fashion where much of works recently published are more talked about than read which certainly applies to 50 shades of grey.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the 'success' of 50 shades has something to do with hoards of sexually repressed and down-trodden housewives up and down the country reading it and realizing that they actually have a sex-drive and it's not sinful to be horny...

Just a thought :rolleyes:

I mentioned giving it a go because I feel that I can't really have an opinion on it if I haven't read it. I'll try it if someone gives me a copy, because I sure as hell am not paying for it.

Reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman at the moment. Good so far, full of mythology.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the 'success' of 50 shades has something to do with hoards of sexually repressed and down-trodden housewives up and down the country reading it and realizing that they actually have a sex-drive and it's not sinful to be horny...

Just a thought :rolleyes:

Your sneaking suspicion is of course the reason, Alongside teenage girls that seem to hop from book to book solely on its trendy natures.Woman.:pac:

Oh yeah and American Psycho turned out to be an enjoyable.Even if the constant description of what people wore and the long conversation on things like restaurants really went through my head which was obviously the desired effect.Film was good aswell.

And Clockwork Orange is a fantastic book,First proper book I ever read.I know Anthony Burgess disliked it but that's because it overshadowed the rest of his work and it rested on the laurels of the controversy of the film version(My favorite film ever by the way)

• Advertisement

No one mentioned the "A song of ice and fire" series yet so here ya go.. The first Three books are outstanding. They slowly but surely lead up to the third book (A storm of swords) which is a high point in literature regardless of genre in my opinion. The story, which is largely based on actual historic events, is phenomenal and the scale of the story is huge.
    Due to the size the story can drag on at certain parts (some drag on a lot) but overall George R R Martin has created a modern day classic. All opinions are my own...

Advertisement