Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

Almost there...loving the
    Darkwraith invasions
    in Kiln of the first flame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I've created a guide for people who want to create a character build focusing on the INT stat. One of the main problems with this kind of build is getting a foothold in the game as it can be quite a while before a magic build bears fruit. The guide details the quickest route to getting a magic weapon and following on from that the easiest ways to get the spells that matter.

I've left out spoilers where possible so it can be used by complete newcomers but it doesn't go into combat strategies etc. and it's quite focused on the build rather than "seeing the sights" so it might be best used on a second character.

I've included regular recommended stat levels to help when levelling up.

All feedback welcome.

Link:
    Dark Souls - Magic Build Guide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

This is on my unplayed pile. Thing is, I won't subscribe to Xbox Live Gold, but I think my 360 has one more month's free trial associated with it. How important are the online multiplayer aspects? Should I activate the trial when I start the game and try to plough through it in that month?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,026 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Kinski wrote: »
    How important are the online multiplayer aspects? Should I activate the trial when I start the game and try to plough through it in that month?

Very important. You could play offline, but you'd miss one of the most unique parts of the experience.

That said, you wouldn't be invaded by overpowered bastards when you least need it when you're offline.

Kinski wrote: »
    How important are the online multiplayer aspects? Should I activate the trial when I start the game and try to plough through it in that month?

I second that. It is absolutely possible to play the game offline but the interactions with other players, from leaving messages for each other to being invaded, really make this stand out as an experience. That said I don't know if one month is enough time for the game. Maybe wait a while into it before activating the membership. Quality game. Enjoy!

• Advertisement

penev10 wrote: »
    I've created a guide for people who want to create a character build focusing on the INT stat.

That's good work there. I'll look into doing something similar for a STR build. It really is daunting to try and get your head around the system at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭Polar101

Issac wrote: »
    I second that. It is absolutely possible to play the game offline but the interactions with other players, from leaving messages for each other to being invaded, really make this stand out as an experience.

I don't care about the pvp part myself, but I love seeing the 'ghosts' of other players move around - it's just a small part but definitely wouldn't want to play without that. And it's always nice to see the 'Good luck!" messages before a boss, and "I did it!" afterwards. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 vitalscience

Wow! its just awesome

Wow! its just awesome
    Yes, yes it is.

PS it doesn't get any less awesome! even when you play it a second and third time. Its the game that keeps on giving!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hawke

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/dark-souls-sequel-confirmed/092537

"And the studio's executive producer Eiichi Nakajima adds that the team will be aiming for a much wider audience next time around."

Hope they don't mess it up

• Advertisement

Dark Souls 2 with an easy mode perhaps? There not going to drift too far from the formula if both games have topped a million sales.

112 hours. NG finished. One of my favourite games of all time. Amazing. NG+ here I come!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

112 hours. NG finished. One of my favourite games of all time. Amazing. NG+ here I come!

Holy **** you took your time!! :pac:

You're right though amazing game, should have got more GOTY awards!! I'll get back to it eventually!!

Big Knox wrote: »
    Holy **** you took your time!! :pac:

You're right though amazing game, should have got more GOTY awards!! I'll get back to it eventually!!
    Ya I did spend quite some time on it alright! Could have finished the story ages ago but did a bit of PvP and spent ages upgrading weapons / kindling bonfires etc before NG+. Should be able to fly through NG+ now as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,790 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

here is a more complete article about further games in the dark souls series

ign link

he talks about taking it to handheld and tablets :eek:

also talking about the possibility of it to he PC , but that's up to the publishers

If this thing comes to a handheld (Vita) I'm not going to get anything else done! Can't see how touch controls would work on a phone / tablet touch screen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

If this thing comes to a handheld (Vita) I'm not going to get anything else done! Can't see how touch controls would work on a phone / tablet touch screen though.

If the game turned out on the Vita and it was actually good i would buy a Vita. That's how much i like the Souls series!

2smiggy wrote: »
    here is a more complete article about further games in the dark souls series

ign link

he talks about taking it to handheld and tablets :eek:

also talking about the possibility of it to he PC , but that's up to the publishers

Holy **** this is huge, please god bring it to the Vita so I can justify my purchase!

Even though there's only 2 games in the series it's already my favourite series of all time. Now the dust has settled, even though at the time I absolutely loved Skyrim the reality is Dark Souls >>> Skyrim.

GOTY by a mile and if there's more to come, i'm a happy man!!

I'm not sure the Souls games would translate well to a handheld. I suppose the shoulder controls could be replicated on the underside touchscreen of the Vita but I reckon it could get quite niggly. I suppose Vita is aiming for online gaming and it fits the bill there but I can only imagine the amount of lag-stabs you'd get over wifi!

I'm not sure the Souls games would translate well to a handheld. I suppose the shoulder controls could be replicated on the underside touchscreen of the Vita but I reckon it could get quite niggly. I suppose Vita is aiming for online gaming and it fits the bill there but I can only imagine the amount of lag-stabs you'd get over wifi!

Yeah that is true but devs have already been very creative with Vita controls even this early on so I'm sure they would come up with something that works. I'd have faith in From Soft.

On the wifi thing, it shouldn't be a problem. Wifi doesn't effect latency or cause lag at all providing it is set-up correctly. Wifi related issues are always down to the end user set-up rather than issues caused by using wifi itself.

All my PS3 online gaming is done over wifi and i've never ever had an issue but I always make sure I have the best possible setup and signal.

But on the other hand i'm sure you will have Vita players using less than ideal wireless setups which may add to the frustration.

However seems a bit pointless getting into it now when all we have is an IGN rumour to go on but let's hope it is something we will be discussing in detail with a future announcement!! The first game I downloaded for the Vita was Monster Hunter as it's the closest thing to the Soul's series you can get on a handheld!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I decided to go back to this after completely exhausting everything Skyrim has to offer. Just managed to beat Quelaag by the skin of my teeth. The Dragon Crest shield was a life saver in that battle.
    Went on to Demon Ruins.
    Beat the Ceaseless Discharge, who was easy enough once you knew what to do. Got slaughtered by the mini Taurus demons and the Capra demons there so I buggered off to the big Hollow in the tree at the bottom of Blight Town instead. Some deadly mushrooms at the bottom of that place there who can kill you with two punches:(
    After the Ash Lake I'll decide whether to do the Valley of Drakes or Anor Londo next.

Christ I haven't played a game this challenging since Boulderdash on the NES twenty years ago:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,790 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i would personally love to see an expansion pack for download for the ps3 version of dark souls. Hell i'd even pay for it if it came on disk and it was €20 plus euros. I've got many many hours out of Dark Souls at this stage.

I have not played the vita, but heard there is good connectivity between games on it and the PS3 , so if they did something like that for the next game , sur why not ! . I think they are wasting their valuable time (and our waiting time :P ) on tablets though. If they stick roughly to what they are doing I would be more than happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,990 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Not really interested in buying the game twice nor playing on such a small screen if I am honest!

noodler wrote: »
    Not really interested in buying the game twice nor playing on such a small screen if I am honest!

Same here, I could never get used to playing games on small screen consoles.

After the Ash Lake I'll decide whether to do the Valley of Drakes or Anor Londo next.
    Get ye to Anor Londo be!

Ash lake is only worth a visit if you need some dragon scales or want to
    join the dragon thingy covenant

Valley of the Drakes is just a connecting area.
    One decent shield, one ok weapon (depending on your build of course) there.

This would (I think) justify a Vita purchase. At least that's what I will tell myself.
    For those of you trying for Platinum on this there's a decent checklist here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmLKhQqaeg0odHdOaU5aTWk5M2xUX1ZpUUlvVlZaS0E#gid=0

Pretty handy - gives all the items, spells etc. needed and info (spoilers) on how to retrieve them.

Get ye to Anor Londo be!

Ash lake is only worth a visit if you need some dragon scales or want to
    join the dragon thingy covenant

Valley of the Drakes is just a connecting area.
    One decent shield, one ok weapon (depending on your build of course) there.

The climb to get back out of Ash Lake was tricky enough. I'll be heading straight for Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo as soon as I take care of that big wolf with the great big sword in it's mouth:cool:

The dragon scales in Ash Lake came in handy
    as did the Dragon Covenant. The Dragon Head form is great for taking down the walking trees in Darkroot Garden

The climb to get back out of Ash Lake was tricky enough. [/SPOILER]

I didn't like that climb at all. Damn frogs! Try to get all the lizards while you are there. I had to come back much later in the game to retrieve them for upgrading my gear which was a pain.

I didn't like that climb at all. Damn frogs! Try to get all the lizards while you are there. I had to come back much later in the game to retrieve them for upgrading my gear which was a pain.

By Lizards I presume you mean Dragon Scales? I managed to grab them all:) I got two off the Hydra when it bizarrely climbed onto the beach and killed itself:confused:. The only other enemies I spotted there were these giant clam type things and inside a tree hollow I came across a giant Mushroom Man and 2 of those infernal bloody curse frogs.

The climb was a right pain thanks to those feckin' frogs. I got cursed just the once but luckily I had 2 purging stones to spare. The bonfire at the top of the Great Hollow was a VERY welcome sight after that climb:)

The Great Wolf Sif is the next boss I'm gonna try tackle before I move onto Sen's Fortress. He kicked my ass so far with that giant sword, and the erratic camera during the battle doesn't help either. I'll bring him down eventually though:)

• Advertisement

By Lizards I presume you mean Dragon Scales? I managed to grab them all:) I got two off the Hydra when it bizarrely climbed onto the beach and killed itself:confused:. The only other enemies I spotted there were these giant clam type things and inside a tree hollow I came across a giant Mushroom Man and 2 of those infernal bloody curse frogs.

The climb was a right pain thanks to those feckin' frogs. I got cursed just the once but luckily I had 2 purging stones to spare. The bonfire at the top of the Great Hollow was a VERY welcome sight after that climb:)

The Great Wolf Sif is the next boss I'm gonna try tackle before I move onto Sen's Fortress. He kicked my ass so far with that giant sword, and the erratic camera during the battle doesn't help either. I'll bring him down eventually though:)

Yeah it's a much better option to go to Ask Lake after you've acquired the Lord Vessel. Makes life alot easier!!!

Advertisement