Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I ask for a pay rise?

• 17-02-2012 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Ok here's the story, I work for a small company of about 10 employees. We recently took on a new contract from our main client, and I was chosen to take it on. It is totally different to what I was doing before, and I'm now away from my wife and 2 kids ( aged 6 and 2 ) for 10 days at a time, with 4 days off.

When I started this work my boss gave me an extra €25 a week, but I just don't think it's enough for the extra responsibility and work I'm doing.

So my question is should I look for more( currently on 25k ) or should I be glad to have a job?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

Asking for a pay rise nowadays is like asking for a P45.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Yes, ask, write a letter listing all the extra stuff you do and the sacrifices you have made since starting there. then respectfully ask of the additional amount/benefits, title etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Kevwoody wrote: »
    should I be glad to have a job?

This again, when did this take over Ireland?

You are not lucky to have a job, the company is lucky to have you :)
    You applied, you were the best applicant and if someone else wanted that job they should have applied too, but they didn't.

A real serf mentality going around Ireland these days

Your ten/four routine is unusual.
    And 25k isn't great money at all

It's a new year and a new budget, go ask for the pay rise
    Do what Spacedog says and make a list, take your time and write up a letter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I it a position in which your career will grow dramatically or is it just a job?

If it's just a job you'd get more working admin for a company and have no stress!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Start putting in a ****load of hours. I know you probably are but put in more.

Act really stressed about it too, you probably are stressed, but make sure he sees your stress (be subtle about it though).

After 2 or 3 weeks begin dropping hints, casually mentioning car loans, etc.

And for God's sake GET OFF BOARDS, it's 10:30 in the morning for fuck sake.!

If that fails get a job in the public sector and get your union to stir shit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Asking for a pay rise nowadays is like asking for a P45.

Only if you're a lazy bum who doesn't deserve it, this lads taking on extra work and responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I would tick the "glad to have a job" box

smash wrote: »
    If it's just a job you'd get more working admin for a company and have no stress!

Loads of admins jobs paying €500/week out there too, they can't get people to fill these roles at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

RoverJames wrote: »
    Loads of admins jobs paying €500/week out there too, they can't get people to fill these roles at all...
    That's what I'm saying. There's literally hundreds of them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

There is no harm in asking, so I would say yes.

If they haven't already offered they are not going to. So prepare your request and go for it.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Whatever you do, don't give you employer an ultimatium, e.g. "A pay rise or I walk" because if he has any sense at all he'll call you on it and you'll be left jobless. Everyone is replaceable. No exceptions.

See if you can talk to him and if he declines your offer, pick your nose and put it in his lunch when he's not looking at every opportunity for the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Seachmall wrote: »
    Start putting in a ****load of hours. I know you probably are but put in more.

Act really stressed about it too, you probably are stressed, but make sure he sees you're stress (be subtle about it though).

After 2 or 3 weeks begin dropping hints, casually mentioning car loans, etc.

And for God's sake GET OFF BOARDS, it's 10:30 in the morning for f[SIZE="2"]uc[/SIZE]k sake.!

If that fails get a job in the public sector and get your union to stir s[SIZE="2"]hi[/SIZE]t.
    I already work about 60 hours per 5 days, the 10/4 routine was my choice, because I travel over 5 hrs to get to location, it was 11pm when I got home on a Friday night, then leave at 3am Sunday morning

I already work about 60 hours per 5 days

What, too good to work Saturdays? Sunday is your God given day of rest?

Time to get your ass in motion, kid!

If you haven't already bring an inflatable mattress and PJs into work, show your boss you're serious.

Honestly though, if you're working yourself to the bone and can't push anymore then you're in a tough situation.

There are 2 (far over generalised) types of bosses, those who expect the most for the least and those who reward continuous effort.

If your boss is the former you've shown him you'll push yourself over the edge for your current pay and he'll see no reason to up your pay. If you begin slacking he'll just fire you because you've set the bar high for yourself.

Hopefully he's the latter and if you keep working hard your pay-rise is innevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Seachmall wrote: »
    I already work about 60 hours per 5 days

What, too good to work Saturdays? Sunday is your God given day of rest?

Time to get your ass in motion, kid!

If you haven't already bring an inflatable mattress and PJs into work, show your boss you're serious.

I work 10 days in a row, Monday through to following wednesday

I work 10 days in a row, Monday through to following wednesday

And what happens on the 11th day? Too good for 11 day weeks?

I'm only strumming your bollocks. Ask for the raise. Don't ask you may not get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Your boss is clearly a fan of the IBEC press releases

Never waste a good recession

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Doubt it's that much now tbh! Links?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

DON'T ask for a Payrise, DEMAND IT.

If they refuse just sell products out the back of the stores, that' what I do !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

respectfully outline your situation, how hard you work, appreciate the job etc. tell him you feel the work you're doing is worth a bit more but, and this is important, ask him what HE feels YOU need to do to be worth that extra money. put the ball in his court.

• Advertisement

token101 wrote: »
    Doubt it's that much now tbh! Links?

I know there's not, 'twas Smash suggested to go the admin route for €500/week ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Spacedog wrote: »
    Yes, ask, write a letter listing all the extra stuff you do and the sacrifices you have made since starting there. then respectfully ask of the additional amount/benefits, title etc.

This, only go and speak to the chap. Most employers are decent people, and will at least be open to having a chat about the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

respectfully outline your situation, how hard you work, appreciate the job etc. tell him you feel the work you're doing is worth a bit more but, and this is important, ask him what HE feels YOU need to do to be worth that extra money. put the ball in his court.

I agree with this too. If you have good reasons, articulate them properly and approach the issue respectfully then the worst that can happen is you get a good counter argument.
    Then you start using your holidays to go to interviews, but thats a whole other story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Ask your boss if you can use him as a reference on your CV.
    If he asks why, just tell him you're keeping your options open.
    If he/she appreciates the work you do, they might make you an offer to make you stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

where the bloody hell are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

If your boss is likely to be offended, or worse discipline you, if you ask for a rise, then he/she probably ins't the person you want to spending you career working for.

As ever, be polite, explain your thinking. It might be a case that the boss agrees but can't afford it.

But acting like an adult will probably help you in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I already work about 60 hours per 5 days, the 10/4 routine was my choice, because I travel over 5 hrs to get to location, it was 11pm when I got home on a Friday night, then leave at 3am Sunday morning

I was in a similar situation work wise. Got a lot more responsibility, company winning new work and no word of a raise. Was also pressured into not requesting overtime for the extra hours I worked. At one stage a few years ago I had estimated in the space of a few months I'd worked around 110 hours without asking for pay just because I wanted to do a good job.

Anyways, hard work paid off because I was head hunted by another company...funny enough my current employers came in with a big offer to keep me and I stayed. I've now been here for 5 years but am leaving next week for a new job.

I was also being away from home for weeks on end and did not enjoy living out of a bag and subsequently working even more when I got back to the hotel. Any chance you could look for a new job? even just to put the fear into your current employers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

I kno somebody who asked for a rise and were told the next week they had no work for them

booboo88 wrote: »
    where the bloody hell are they?

I was being sarcastic in response to the quote I posted :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

What line of business are you in ?

Do you have any concept of pay for performance, or any objectives set by your boss which you can clearly demonstrate you have exceeded ? Is there a job grade above the one you currently work in which you believe you are fulfilling right now?

Are you currently earning more or less than your peers ?

Hope this helps structure your approach to getting a raise.

Advertisement