Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

• 22-09-2011 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Guns N' Roses will tour the US this year for their first US tour in 5 years

GUNS N’ ROSES ANNOUNCE FIRST U.S. TOUR IN OVER 5 YEARS!
    TWO AND A HALF HOUR SHOW TO FEATURE ALL THEIR HITS

LOS ANGELES, CA (September 21, 2011) - Guns N’ Roses have announced today they’ll be doing their first US tour in 5 years, kicking off October 28th in Orlando, Florida. The band will perform more than 30 concerts in the U.S. – fueled by Monster Energy - from October to New Year’s Eve. Before hitting the states, GNR will tour Latin America, starting with a sold out, headline slot for the closing day of the Rock in Rio festival in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on October 2nd , for 75,000 fans. Guns N’ Roses are Axl Rose, DJ Ashba (guitar), Dizzy Reed (keyboards), Tommy Stinson (bass), Richard Fortus (guitar), Ron “Bumblefoot” Thal (guitar), Chris Pitman (keyboards) and Frank Ferrer (drums). GNR spent most of 2010 touring the globe, performing 71 shows in over 30 countries.

The two and a half hour show played to rave reviews everywhere including South America, Canada, Europe and Southeast Asia, playing close to one million fans worldwide.

Axl Rose started Guns N’ Roses over 25 years ago. Since that time, they have become one of the biggest bands in music history, selling over 100 million albums worldwide. GNR’s “Appetite For Destruction” has sold over 28 million albums in the United States alone. The band’s most recent release, Chinese Democracy debuted #1 on the charts in thirteen countries.

Chinese Democracy was released on Black Frog/Geffen Records in November 2008 and reached 3 times Platinum in Canada, Platinum in Czech Republic, Finland, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Norway, Poland, Romania, Switzerland, UK, Argentina, New Zealand and South Africa. The album is Gold in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Greece, Hungary, Holland, Sweden, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, Brazil and Colombia.

In the U.S., the album was certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) on February 3, 2009.

The tour is scheduled to hit the following cities:

Oct 28 Orlando, FL @ Amway Center Arena
    Oct 29 Miami, FL @ American Airlines Arena
    Oct 31 Greenville, SC @ Bi-Lo Center Arena
    Nov 2 Atlanta, GA @ Phillips Arena
    Houston, TX
    Nov 5 Dallas, TX @ Gexa Energy Pavillion
    Omaha, NE
    Tulsa, OK
    Nov 12 Kansas City, MO @ Sprint Center Arena
    Nov 13 Minneapolis, MN @ Target Center Arena
    Chicago, IL @ All State Arena
    East Rutherford, NJ
    Hartford, CT
    Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Worcester, MA
    Camden, NJ
    Detroit, MI
    Cincinnati, OH
    Nashville, TN
    Indianapolis, IN
    Denver, CO

More dates, cities and venue information to be announced very soon.

www.gunsnroses.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Guns N' Roses will tour the US next year for their first US tour in 5 years

GUNS N’ ROSES ANNOUNCE FIRST U.S. TOUR IN OVER 5 YEARS!
    TWO AND A HALF HOUR SHOW TO FEATURE ALL THEIR HITS

LOS ANGELES, CA (September 21, 2011) - Guns N’ Roses have announced today they’ll be doing their first US tour in 5 years, kicking off October 28th in Orlando, Florida. The band will perform more than 30 concerts in the U.S. – fueled by Monster Energy - from October to New Year’s Eve. Before hitting the states, GNR will tour Latin America, starting with a sold out, headline slot for the closing day of the Rock in Rio festival in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on October 2nd , for 75,000 fans. Guns N’ Roses are Axl Rose, DJ Ashba (guitar), Dizzy Reed (keyboards), Tommy Stinson (bass), Richard Fortus (guitar), Ron “Bumblefoot” Thal (guitar), Chris Pitman (keyboards) and Frank Ferrer (drums). GNR spent most of 2010 touring the globe, performing 71 shows in over 30 countries.

The two and a half hour show played to rave reviews everywhere including South America, Canada, Europe and Southeast Asia, playing close to one million fans worldwide.

Axl Rose started Guns N’ Roses over 25 years ago. Since that time, they have become one of the biggest bands in music history, selling over 100 million albums worldwide. GNR’s “Appetite For Destruction” has sold over 28 million albums in the United States alone. The band’s most recent release, Chinese Democracy debuted #1 on the charts in thirteen countries.

Chinese Democracy was released on Black Frog/Geffen Records in November 2008 and reached 3 times Platinum in Canada, Platinum in Czech Republic, Finland, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Norway, Poland, Romania, Switzerland, UK, Argentina, New Zealand and South Africa. The album is Gold in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Greece, Hungary, Holland, Sweden, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, Brazil and Colombia.

In the U.S., the album was certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) on February 3, 2009.

The tour is scheduled to hit the following cities:

Oct 28 Orlando, FL @ Amway Center Arena
    Oct 29 Miami, FL @ American Airlines Arena
    Oct 31 Greenville, SC @ Bi-Lo Center Arena
    Nov 2 Atlanta, GA @ Phillips Arena
    Houston, TX
    Nov 5 Dallas, TX @ Gexa Energy Pavillion
    Omaha, NE
    Tulsa, OK
    Nov 12 Kansas City, MO @ Sprint Center Arena
    Nov 13 Minneapolis, MN @ Target Center Arena
    Chicago, IL @ All State Arena
    East Rutherford, NJ
    Hartford, CT
    Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Worcester, MA
    Camden, NJ
    Detroit, MI
    Cincinnati, OH
    Nashville, TN
    Indianapolis, IN
    Denver, CO

More dates, cities and venue information to be announced very soon.

www.gunsnroses.com

When they bothered to come on stage and play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RayCon

uh oh ... I fear for this thread's longevity ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

RayCon wrote: »
    uh oh ... I fear for this thread's longevity ...

Ah now, come on, GNR are touring the US - that's why the thread is here.

It's not here to discuss last year or anything about Guns N Roses in general other than this announcement.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1671133/guns-n-roses-us-tour.jhtml
    The latest incarnation of GN'R features (of course) mastermind Axl Rose, plus guitarists DJ Ashba, Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal and Richard Fortus, bassist Tommy Stinson, longtime keyboardist Dizzy Reed (and another keyboardist, Chris Pitman) and drummer Frank Ferrer. The band hasn't played a show since a December 2010 date in Dubai, but will warm up for their U.S. run as only they can: with a series of massive dates in South America and Mexico.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Axl Rose started Guns N’ Roses over 25 years ago.

Lost all credibility after that line,He was a co-founder of GN'R.

That's quite an intensive schedule by Axls standards,gonna be fun to see how it pans out!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

The word "confirmed" never quite washs with me when Guns 'N' Roses are involved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

2 and a Half Hour WAIT confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

surprised there's still an audience for this fraud of an act

this act is not Guns And Roses

• Registered Users Posts: 10,631 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

LH Pathe wrote: »

Is that all??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Is that all??

I take it you were one of the many crying "we want more!" when they'd not even taken the stage yet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Didn't know they haven't toured the US in 5 years. You'd think considering they live in the US, that they would tour it often. I mean that's where their biggest fan base is, I think.

• Advertisement

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Didn't know they haven't toured the US in 5 years. You'd think considering they live in the US, that they would tour it often. I mean that's where their biggest fan base is, I think.

I'd say following the riots of 2002 and the several cancelled US appearances in 2003 they would have had to lower their standards (and costs) with promoters dramatically to tour in 2006/7 and 2009 in the US, when they did big touring duties elsewhere, so they wanted to wait a few years until people in the US were begging for GNR to come back in such numbers that they'd be offered more cash.

I think it's been a finance thing with Axl all along. The European touring and South American and Asian touring was all used as a reference tool to help them win back favour with the bigger US promoters who could handle the kind of cost behind a GNR show

I take it you were one of the many crying "we want more!" when they'd not even taken the stage yet

Eh. No. They're has-beens.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

RVD420 wrote: »

Wow, I cannot believe they played Estranged after all this time, I love that song....

Here's the pro shot version

Here's the pro shot version

That's from the Rock in Rio gig last Sunday. It was the first time they played it in around 18 years, it was a good performance of the song, but (imo) the version in Chile was better.

That Rock in Rio gig was a bit of a shambles though, farcical in parts (Axl forgetting lyrics he has sung his entire career, Bumblefoot ruining the Welcome to the Jungle solo cos he was messing around with a Stormtrooper helmet.....).

Its very strange that Axl appeared to use RIR as a warmup gig for the tour, but I guess he knows what he's doing.... :confused:

That's from the Rock in Rio gig last Sunday. It was the first time they played it in around 18 years, it was a good performance of the song, but (imo) the version in Chile was better.

That Rock in Rio gig was a bit of a shambles though, farcical in parts (Axl forgetting lyrics he has sung his entire career, Bumblefoot ruining the Welcome to the Jungle solo cos he was messing around with a Stormtrooper helmet.....).

Its very strange that Axl appeared to use RIR as a warmup gig for the tour, but I guess he knows what he's doing.... :confused:

Slash is the only person who can play that solo(in Estranged), imho.........nobody else gets close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

I don#t see them as Gun 'n' Roses anymore though, they've just lost it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭Riddle101

OakeyDokey wrote: »
    I don#t see them as Gun 'n' Roses anymore though, they've just lost it for me.

They're just Axl and friends now, right;)

Although I do like DJ Ashba and Bumblefoot, and think they're just as good as orginal line up.

As musicians, the current line up is technically superior, no question about it.

But there will always be the element of "its not the same anymore...". It's been done to death on various gnr forums, but I try to enjoy both old and new gnr for what they were/are...

• Advertisement

But there will always be the element of "its not the same anymore...". It's been done to death on various gnr forums, but I try to enjoy both old and new gnr for what they were/are...

I just downloaded the entire show, Rock In Rio, so going to have a look at it. I have to say that I really enjoy the idea of being able to see Axl out there touring.

IMO it doesn't matter whether the original members are there or not, its probably best that they're not because they'd only end up fighting all the time, so Duff makes great music with Loaded, Slash has an OK solo career, Gilby is quite happy doing his thing, Matt is Matt and Axl just keeps producing his music on his own terms - and I'm happy to allow him to make these stupid rules and do that as long as it keeps producing music the quality of Chinese Democracy's best and making performances such as this

I think it was Descartes, while working on Meditations on First Philosophy, once said ... "what the fU.ck was that sh!te" ...

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭First Explorer

After the shambles of a gig in Dublin and with videos like this around I wouldn't be in a hurry to go to another of his gigs, i say his coz it's not the real G' n R anymore and hasn't been for many years.

http://perezhilton.com/2011-10-04-axl-loses-it-during-rock-in-rio-2011-and-guns-n-roses-scheduled-to-tour-at-the-end-of-the-month

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭rednik

rednik wrote: »

He really is a fu.cking spanner ...

RayCon wrote: »
    He really is a fu.cking spanner ...

Spanner's are useful implements. ;)

You want 8 o'clock shows go find F-R-I-E-N-D-S or hit a cinema somewhere...or you wanna be informed go catch the 10-o'clock news.. this is Rock N' Roll! Treat yourself don't cheat yourself thinking you're gonna go to school or work or whatever you 'normally' do the next day.

As harsh as this sounds I agree yet I also disagree

Agreeing it would make sense to take the day off after such a monumental concert, to remember that you should leave the car at home, and either walk or get a taxi from a City Centre location. Time shouldn't be your enemy and if you're going to pay the kind of huge prices people demand for GNR gigs then it should really be important enough to cancel the early morning alarm call.

On the other hand, gigs aren't always held on weekends, and even then they're not always held on Saturday. And most people live in the real world and have real jobs to get too. People have lives outside of music.

A gig starting and finishing at a reasonable time means more people, real people, can turn up and pay for your performance. Most people choose a gig over the cinema or staying in, if a promoter said that doors would open at 9pm for a gig which started at 11pm then you'd know what you're letting yourself in for and you'd be prepared from the outset. But when a gig says doors open at 6pm and you don't see the main act until closer 10pm you know there is a serious problem....when it's not a festival bill

I think if GNR had a tour where you knew the band didn't start playing until 3am or something stupid I'd be prepared to go (where it was written on the ticket that doors didn't open until 2am) - but I'd probably catch up on my sleep and leave the house about 2am to casually stroll into the venue before the band start playing.

I would be fully prepared to accept the late time, cause I paid for the ticket, but the promoter (knowing what Axl is like) can't possibly schedule a performance that late because it breaks license regulations or because it just won't sell as many tickets as it could. So he schedules a time, and makes the crowd wait, and then when the band plays beyond legal limits the promoter blames the crowd for complaining because they were GNR, they expect a late show....

MCD have a lot to answer for

As harsh as this sounds I agree yet I also disagree

Agreeing it would make sense to take the day off after such a monumental concert, to remember that you should leave the car at home, and either walk or get a taxi from a City Centre location. Time shouldn't be your enemy and if you're going to pay the kind of huge prices people demand for GNR gigs then it should really be important enough to cancel the early morning alarm call.

On the other hand, gigs aren't always held on weekends, and even then they're not always held on Saturday. And most people live in the real world and have real jobs to get too. People have lives outside of music.

A gig starting and finishing at a reasonable time means more people, real people, can turn up and pay for your performance. Most people choose a gig over the cinema or staying in, if a promoter said that doors would open at 9pm for a gig which started at 11pm then you'd know what you're letting yourself in for and you'd be prepared from the outset. But when a gig says doors open at 6pm and you don't see the main act until closer 10pm you know there is a serious problem....when it's not a festival bill

I think if GNR had a tour where you knew the band didn't start playing until 3am or something stupid I'd be prepared to go (where it was written on the ticket that doors didn't open until 2am) - but I'd probably catch up on my sleep and leave the house about 2am to casually stroll into the venue before the band start playing.

I would be fully prepared to accept the late time, cause I paid for the ticket, but the promoter (knowing what Axl is like) can't possibly schedule a performance that late because it breaks license regulations or because it just won't sell as many tickets as it could. So he schedules a time, and makes the crowd wait, and then when the band plays beyond legal limits the promoter blames the crowd for complaining because they were GNR, they expect a late show....

MCD have a lot to answer for

In some ways, yes, they do. But Axl is a f***ing C U Next Tuesday and should not be continually let away with this kinda behaviour. The best way to answer back to the guy is to not go to his concerts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

After the Dublin farce I'm never going to see him again unless it is the original line-up and they have being putting in reliable shows.

Have defended him no-end in the past but I think he is getting worse with every tour in terms of his unprofessional attitude. He is clearly not in shape and you can tell by his voice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I actually think MCD were in a bit of a pickle with that gig. Due to the fact technically Axel and his friends did fulfill their contract (playing a gig on the night) . I no it was a disgrace on the way people were dealt with by staff etc but if Axel had not performed then people would have gotten there money back because MCD could sue him , but i think because he did perform to a half empty arena they cant do anything. However i dont see any promoter MCD/Aiken bringing them back anytime soon

Advertisement