Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed - kittens spayed today, now growling at each other

• 23-10-2008 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi - I have 2 six-month-old female kittens that were spayed today. Got home with them about 3 hours ago and since then they have been in seperate rooms, they seem to be terrified of each other, perhaps it's the buster collars and they are not recognising each other - they do look freaky with them on it has to be said. When they met earlier on in the Living Room ,they literally ran for their lives [which I'm sure is not good for their stitches!] I tried showing them to each other but no luck.

Anyway I was in the bedroom with one a few minutes ago and the other one sauntered in and onto the bed and they both started growling at each other and now they're back in seperate rooms again. I hate this, they are normally the best of pals and I feel guilty enough about what they are going through without this as well.

So what can i do?? I tried to book them in for tomorrow so that I'd have 3 days with them but the vet could only take them today. So I have to go to work tomorrow [half day though] I only have 2 rooms anyway, should I lock each of them in a seperate room? Should I leave them to sort it out between themselves??? Any quick-fix that I could try before 7:30am in the morning?!?!?

There's a lot of good cat advice floating around here usually so I hope someone can advise me!!! Thanks a million!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Aw poor babies, they're probably a bit groggy from the op. Maybe in a bit of pain too. The buster collars wont be helping. All I can say is don't leave them alone together without supervision until you're sure they are back to normal.

They had a very tiring and confusing day today, and are probably taking it out on each other. :)

I'm sure someone will come along with some better advice. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

If you are only working a half day, then I'd keep them separated. They're probably just freaked out with the collar and feeling a bit tender too. I don't think keeping them apart for a few hours would do any harm, they'll probably just sleep anway. Worst case, if they got into a fight when you weren't there, then they could damage their stitches or something (ouch!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I'm not a cat person but I have heard of this before. It's something to do with them not smelling like themselves, i.e. they both smell (and look, thanks to the collars) different to eachother hence the behaviour.

Not sure what people advised though, hopefully someone with experience of this will be along soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

They both smell like vet, they both look freaky to each other and they're sore and cranky.

Start rubbing each of them and then rubbing the other to transfer scent. Use a warm, barely damp facecloth if you like, and rub against the fur, transferring facecloth from cat to cat. This will pass in a couple of days. The smell of a vet's is very, very strong and can take a little while to wear off. It'll also be better when their collars come off and they can wash each other again.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭GeturGun

wow thanks a mil for the quick replies!!
    i just reread what i wrote there and i hope "let them sort it out between themselves" didn't sound like i meant fight, i more meant coming around to each other eventually without me forcing them together!!!!
    I was only thinking earlier that they smell all medical like the vets!! There could be something in that!!! I have one purring on the pillow now and the other sprawled across my chest! but i don't think they've actually noticed each other yet!!!! I think i'll definitely seperate them tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Minesajackdaniels, my post was crossed with yours. I'll try the facecloth idea, thanks a mil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Hate to ask but why have they collars on ? they are mainly only used with cats/dogs that are showing signs of pulling out the stitches, if their not doing that call the vet and ask if you can remove them, hundreds of neuters later and I've never had to use a collar. I don't understand why so many are being sent home with them.

The best why to transfare the smell is to use your night gown (as you'll probably only get this in the morning )and rub them down with it, they know your smell best and should relax better, try doing it while it's still warm.

Just give them space after you come home from work to settle don't lock them away from one another or they'll think something is wrong,it takes about 48 hrs for it to leave there system and be as right as rain again, they are also given hefty pain killers that will wear of in a couple of days thats when they'll get cranky and not want to be lifted or fused over just go with the flow for now, plenty of love should do the rest.

The best why to transfare the smell is to use your night gown (as you'll probably only get this in the morning )and rub them down with it, they know your smell best and should relax better, try doing it while it's still warm.

That's a great idea - I'll try that.
    There's a bit of a stand-off going on at the moment, one's on the bed and one on the floor eyeing each other up, but no growling for the last while AS SOON AS I TYPED THOSE WORDS:rolleyes: They've been growling at each other on and off all night.

They are both purring like mad when around me, so seem to be ok in themselves at least!!
    Hate to ask but why have they collars on ? they are mainly only used with cats/dogs that are showing signs of pulling out the stitches, if their not doing that call the vet and ask if you can remove them, hundreds of neuters later and I've never had to use a collar. I don't understand why so many are being sent home with them.

They had the collars on when I picked them up - she took great trouble to tell me "We will take off the collars when they come back in 10 days for stitches" I was so tempted to take them off last night and keep an eye on whether they went near the stitches, but apart from not being here to watch them every second, I would also be afraid I wouldn't get them back on if needed. They seem to be ok with them TBH, apart from trying to reverse out of them - poor things!!!

Thanks guys for the replies. I knew I'd get some great advice if I posted here :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 kitten_bar

GeturGun wrote: »

They had the collars on when I picked them up - she took great trouble to tell me "We will take off the collars when they come back in 10 days for stitches" I was so tempted to take them off last night and keep an eye on whether they went near the stitches, but apart from not being here to watch them every second, I would also be afraid I wouldn't get them back on if needed. They seem to be ok with them TBH, apart from trying to reverse out of them - poor things!!!

Thanks guys for the replies. I knew I'd get some great advice if I posted here :):)

As with other posters I've been though numberous neuters and never used a collar any of the moggies! I would imagine that the limited mobilty and visability is upsetting enough... our last patient Charlie, when she came home she was running around and lepping on stuff within a couple hours - but then I've had cats who've sulked for days because you've ruined their 'do' (haircut ;-) )

my advice would be to take the collars off while you're supervising. They will sniff and probably groom a little around the stiching but the collars should be fine to leave off *unless* they really go at the stitches. Make sure you're around the first time to monitor it.

Oh and as they went in together they're probably associating each other the the bad thing that's happened. If you are giving them treats make sure it's at the same time and together so they don't have any reason to feel jealous.

Give them a day or two and they'll be grand.

As for the 10 day stitches - we've been through it so often now - if everything looks healthy we generally take them out ourselves after 10 days. But that's not for the first timer (or the squemish!)

Good luck with them, they sound wonderful and you're obviously looking after them very well!

xxx Kate

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

+1 on removing the collars. Mine didn't get collar and although she did lick her stitches the first afternoon, she forgot about them then, no harm done.

I think 10 days in a collar is verging on cruel.

The growling will gradually decrease. Its not just the smell of the vets, their hormone balance is changing now - so they probably smell completely unrecognisable to each other. Its as if you have two new cats now to get to know each other. Let them be in the same room and they'll learn to adjust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Hate to ask but why have they collars on ? I don't understand why so many are being sent home with them.
    The vets are just protecting themselves. Theyd rather have the cat wear the collar albeit a bit uncomfortable for a week or so rather than have the cat pull at the stitches (theres always one) to come back to their surgery with a raging infection and a narky owner.

But if you feel confident, yeh this is what id do. A small blade and nick one of the loops of the stitches and they come right out. Easy enough if youve got someone holding the cat for you.
    kitten_bar wrote: »
    take the collars off while you're supervising. They will sniff and probably groom a little around the stiching but the collars should be fine to leave off *unless* they really go at the stitches. Make sure you're around the first time to monitor it.

Give them a day or two and they'll be grand.

As for the 10 day stitches - we've been through it so often now - if everything looks healthy we generally take them out ourselves after 10 days. But that's not for the first timer (or the squemish!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

They will calm down, it might be an idea to leave the collars on when you aren't there because if they open up stitches while you are not there it could be a disaster. I find in general cats are very good though so it depends on the cat and how much you would think they would pick at the stitches.

It's only for 10 days so if you have to keep them seperate for now then no harm, I find cats tend to climb on each other and hurt each others wounds.
    Happened with a deaf kitten we had and she couldn't hear the other cat crying out luckily I was there and lifted her off poor thing, she was grand though just sore.

They will pick up yours and the house scent again soon they should be fine, when introducing them again mabey bring both down stairs, make sure they have been fed and give them lots of toys to play with so they will start playing with each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

I would leave the stitches to the vet, they not only take them out but will check for infection as well as have a good feel round them to see that every thing is in it's place.

I would give a ring and have a word about the collors though, they could do more damage reversing into something, than pulling them out, an animal licking it's own wounds most of the time helps to heal the wounds faster and keep infection at bay.

They'll be feeling sore for a couple of days too, they need to be able to rest with out the stress of figuring out were to put the lamp shade.

Just keep rubbing them down, even try their own bedding, or your bedding if they sleep there that should help them ajust.

Looking at an alien through your lamp shade can't be helping to be honest.

Stock up for the weekend then take them of, so you'll be there to watch them, it usually at the end when the stitches start to get thight and itch with the scab that you need to worry.

You sound to be doing a great job so far and their lucky to have you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Sage'sMama

You could always try Feliway. It's available at the vets and you plug it in and it releases pheromones that relax and calm the cats i'm using it at the minute cos i moved with my kitty sage into a house with two other cats. The first three days were horrible and i hated seeing her stressed so i got the feliway and it's amazing the difference there not best buds but they don't put their ears down and hiss at eachother anymore. I agree that the collar's should go see if they are interested in the stitches and if they are okay leave the collar off. It'll give them an oppurtunity to groom and get rid of the vet smell. Alternatively rub them down with a warm damp cloth to remove the vet smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I spent a fortune on Felliway recently (same situ - moving into a house with existing cats). Didn't notice a single difference - the war continued!

I think they just got used to each other anyway as time went on. Not sure the Felliway had much to do with it. It took about 4 weeks. :rolleyes:

...........for all the replies.
    Well I decided to leave them the run of the place when I was at work. Came home and thankfully they hadn't killed each other. They were both asleep in separate rooms anyway without any intervention from me.
    There's still a good bit of growling and hissing going on - but I think we're all just going to have to ride this one out! Physically they are both fine and are eating and drinking again. So I will just keep a good eye on them over the weekend and hopefully I will have 2 happy again kitties by the end of Monday.
    Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

The collar thing is interesting. In decades of cats, until I came to Ireland one had ever been issued with one.
    And never any problems re stitches.

The first time a cat came home in one, I was told to leave it on until stitches were to come out, but after a few days, the cat was getting very stressed and distressed about it so I took it off.

When we had the two rescue dogs spayed, they came home in collars too, and in this case the collars were simply too big, so again we took them off and kept a close eye on them. And no problems.

And to save the stress of another long journey to the vet, we took the stitches out ourselves. The dogs helped; one rolled over on her back and the other sat up very straight:) There was clearly no infection etc.

As for the growling kittens; time is a great healer.

Blessings

I took the collars off last night to see what happened. Jess went straight for the stitches and started to pull at them so collar was straight back on. Molly on the other hand had a big wash and food and drink (i've put their food and water in flatter bowls anyway but she obviously decided to take advantage of the freedom and have a big snack!!!) I put the collar back on after about 20 minutes. At least I know now I'll be able to take them on and off if needs be. They don't seem hugely bothered by them though. And I noticed there was no growling when they were off, they probably both went; "OH, IT'S YOU"!!!:D

Most of the growling is now just coming from Jess - Molly seems to be back to her sweetheart self, Jess just a bit more stressed when Molly comes near. I am in good favour with both of them so on hand to provide lots of evenly dispensed cuddles :) Ah we'll get there - things are definitely progressing. Thanks again to everyone who took the time to reply x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

if you don't want to use a collar and they seem to be picking at the stitches, you can get ProWrap, a self adhesive bandage available in many vets / chemists. I wrapped one around the abdomen of my kitten when she was biting at them, and just kept it on for a few days till she got used to the feeling of the stitches.

The hissing is normal, it will die down in a few days, mine have done it, just seems like handbags, nothing serious :)

....... just seems like handbags ......

ha ha I love that description!! That is exactly what it seems like at this stage!!! Only the odd growl here and there today - so we're almost fully back to happy house status again!!!
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Sure time's flying at this stage you've only about 6 days till stitches are out they'll be grand.

Advertisement