Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to start reading comics?

• 08-04-2014 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

Hope this is the right place to put this :) the recent marvel movies have made me interested in reading the comics of that universe, is there a particularly good place to start? I understand they recently rebooted the whole thing, so is that a good jumping in point?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Ridley

cloud493 wrote: »
    Hope this is the right place to put this smile.png the recent marvel movies have made me interested in reading the comics of that universe, is there a particularly good place to start? I understand they recently rebooted the whole thing, so is that a good jumping in point?

Well there's Marvel NOW! which wasn't a reboot as much as it was a relaunch to make the books more friendly to newbies.

There's also the approach of seeking out the books that were mined for the films. For example, Winter Soldier took its cue from Brubaker's storyline of the same name, and Iron Man: Extremis played a part in Iron Mans 1 and 3.

Or you could just search for the name of a character/team you like along with "volume 1" and look up the books closest to this year. Marvel likes putting out books with jumping on points around their films releases. That's when older stories like Winter Soldier and Extremis get rereleased, and Hawkeye and Black Widow get their own series. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

What characters interest you most?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Captain america and iron man, I think. Course thats all together in the avengers no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Captain america and iron man, I think. Course thats all together in the avengers no?

It is, but they also have their own comics with adventures away from the Avengers team.

Is there cross over in those stories? Like in the movies, its all one big world.

• Advertisement

Yup there sure is, Hulk is a personal favourite of mine, he has some great story's.

For individual stories, as Ridley said, Iron Man: Extremis is great, Captain America: The Winter Soldier will be familiar, as will Man Out of Time. Maybe start there. For other heroes that you'd be familiar with from the Marvel Cinematic Universe, I can't recommend current runs of Hawkeye and Black Widow highly enough. Hawkeye is nearly 20 issues in but you could pick up the first two trade paperbacks ("My Life As A Weapon" and "Little Hits") and they'll take you up to #11. Black Widow is only up to #5 at the moment. First 4 issues were great, 5 wasn't the best, but it's a good series so far.

Other recommendations in the Marvel world, off the top of my head:

Mark Waid's "Daredevil" (currently only 1 issue in to the relaunch).
    Planet Hulk
    Amazing Spider-man is relaunching with issue #1 coming out this month
    Ant Man Season One was also great.

Also, check out Civil War for a good crossover of lots of heroes.

I think I'l start with spiderman then, assuming I'l get it in forbidden planet, then move onto captain america. This might sound like a stupid question, but is spiderman in the same universe as the avengers?

I think I'l start with spiderman then, assuming I'l get it in forbidden planet, then move onto captain america. This might sound like a stupid question, but is spiderman in the same universe as the avengers?

He is an Avenger. ;)

Sure is, as are the X-men. Marvel sold film rights to different studio's so they can't be seen together in live action.

Also as already mentioned there is a good civil war story line between Avengers vs X-men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I think your best bet is to pop into a comic shop and just let your eyes guide you. Pick up individual copies, back issues, anything that is cheap, anything that catches your eye, just take a chance! It's a great way to discover what you like/don't like.

Then you can start looking around online and end up spending all your money!

Seriously though, don't be afraid to try something different or unusual - I personally find most of the 'big name' Marvel/DC stuff to bore me to tears although that is only my taste. Everyone will have different things they look for in a book.

Don't get too caught up in 'Universes' and 'Cross-overs' etc. just yet.

Most smaller publishing companies also have samplers where you can get a few pages of their product lines, that can be a great way to explore for very little money too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 P.L

Marvel is putting tons of #1 and .1 issues (Amazing Spider-Man is next week if i'm not mistaken) , it's a good starting point

Think I'm gonna go for something today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Can I suggest you try your local library first? Most of them have good graphic novel sections now, and you can get up to 10 at a time and decide which you enjoy before slapping down what is likely to be a lot of cash.

Avoid. Those kind of things are very Disneyish.

Cheers :) I'm gonna pick up the new amazing spiderman as well, what day are they published?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭Tefral

OP might I suggest reading Guardians of the Galaxy? There is going to be a Movie about it in August of this year and most people don't know the characters at all.

Be good to get a head start on the movie.

Oh yeah, thats a good idea, thanks :)

Cheers :) I'm gonna pick up the new amazing spiderman as well, what day are they published?

ASM #1 is out in 2 weeks (30th, I believe). Keep in mind though, it's already the fastest selling comic of all time. Pre-orders worldwide are over 500,000 so far. Might be worth giving a shout to your comic book shop of choice to see if they'll preorder it for you. The Big Bang in Dundrum do postal orders; they're my store of choice!

• Advertisement

Forbidden planet it'll have to be for me :)
    I was kinda tempted by this captain america comic in easons today, but it was vol 34 so I didn't know if I could catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

I was collecting http://www.graphicnovelcollection.com/collection.html and found it great as I have not been reading comics for ~13 years. A lot of main story arcs as well as history on the series in each book. Think this is finished/finishing up but have over half of them and it really got me into comics again. Extrmis & Winter Soldier were part of the collection and were made into movies, even the new spidey movie is referenced greatly in Unlimited Spider-Man. http://www.mightiestcollection.com/ has taken the same format and is currently several issues in (only have the first).

i will soon be able to recommence my collection of these and have really been enjoying them!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭noisenotmusic

Forbidden planet it'll have to be for me :)
    I was kinda tempted by this captain america comic in easons today, but it was vol 34 so I didn't know if I could catch up.

For a casual reader like yourself those collections in Easons are probably the best way to read the monthly books. They're a bit behind (an issue out this week might not be in one of the reprints for a few months) but you get three issues for the price of one and it's not too hard to keep track of. The titles and number of US comics can be completely incomprehensible to newcomers sometimes.

Titan do these collections from DC:
    Batman
    Batman/Superman
    DC Universe Presents (Generally Justice League)

and Panini do these collections from Marvel:

Astonishing Spider-Man
    Essential X-Men
    Might World Of Marvel (Generally the best of the rest of Marvel, currently doing Daredevil)
    Wolverine & Deadpool

Advertisement