Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motorbike Helmet Noise

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Get some wide tape and tape over little holes and features one at a time.
    Its possible to work out exactly which parts cause the most noise this way and you can leave the tape on to quiet it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,855 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The screen on your scooter is deflecting the air towards your helmet and under it. Do something with your screen, or wear a balaclava under the helmet.

Try taking the screen off. Your helmet will be in clean air and probably a lot quieter. If this works, a lower screen might give a better balance between weather protection and noise.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 coolmangg

Cheers for the replies, I've added a spoiler to the screen (see Link) and she seems to be much quieter now.

Might try remove the screen altogether as some have mentioned and see if that works also.

Meanwhile saving for a C3. :)

http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/MRA_Spares.html#aCOL56095

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

As said before, if you are going to spend time on the bike you really need ear plugs not matter how good the helment. Once your hearing is damaged there is no means of repair.

I use these and they cost €150. They are custom fitted and widely available. Expensive you may think but when compared (as with most bits of safety equipment) to the damage you may get without using them, they are cheap.

Because they are custom fitted, they are very comfortable, they simply filter out the wind noise so you can still hear what is going on around you.

Spend a little more and you can have speakers put in them so you could wire up to your phone etc. Mind you that is one of the great things about the bike, you can get away from the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭positron

Good suggestions all around.

I have been commuting on M1 for little over a year now, and my pre-existing mild tinnitus (from tropical forest - critters) has become much more obvious and annoying now, and I am absolutely certain that was because I was riding with ill-fitting headphones under the helmet, which didn't cut out as much noise I was hoping it would.

A few things I have noticed over the year:

* Race helmets are setup for weight-saving, not for noise-isolation or long commutes. If you are motorway commuter, look into commuting style helmets.

* Each helmet has an optimum angle / lean that will give you the least amount of noise. The cheep and cheerful Nitro Akido that I have been using is pretty noisy if you hold your head straight with the visor 90 degrees against the wind. If you tilt your head a bit forward, pointing the temple of the helmet to the wind, it's much less noisier.

* Experiment with the airflow that your fairing is producing. Try standing up a little bit and see if the airflow is clearer there than your sitting position - may be you need taller fairing, but sometimes you are better off with less fairing for a cleaner airflow - depending your size, position, bike etc.

* Always use earplugs. El cheapo (20 pairs for £5, amazon) foam earplugs are dead easy to put on (roll between two fingers, insert, and keep it in place with your index finger for about 3-5 seconds), and they really make a huge difference - it's so much nicer to ride with them on because your brain is not overloaded with the constant wind buffeting noise, and you are much more relaxed and you can focus and enjoy riding more.

* Read good reviews about Nexx XR1R - good looking and it's supposed to be pretty good with noise isolation with it's adjustable inner padding. Anyone here has one of them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Papa_Bear

I have a honda deauville with a high screen which offers alot of protection from wind noise. In fact when I was commuting regularly up and down the M7 to shannon at 120kph id say the wind noise was twice as bad if i straightened by back up and poped my head above the screen.

I also wore a pair of earphones with the flexible rubber pluges on my journey and while riding at speed and with the protection of the screen i didn't really hear the wind. All I would hear is the music i was listening to and the sound of the engine in the background and I have a flip helmet. This is the litmus test for me. If i can hear the engine first instead of the wind then I know ive got enough protection. This only applies because of the large screen i have. Most probably wont have one large enough to sit behind.

Actally it worked so well i couldn't hear the operator at the toll booth whenever they spoke to me. I think they were commenting on the weather or some such:).

Just my two cent....

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

I found the majority of the noise I experience is due to wind getting in around the neck. Or just generally creating air movement due to that gap in the seal around my head.

I use a neck sock in the winter and I'm tempted to use it more regularly as it probably halves the noise I experience. Did a Dublin to Cork run and was kicking myself for not bringing it.

My lid is the Shoei XR-1100. It comes with a chin guard but the full neck sock is needed to complete the seal and cut down on the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

I use these ear plugs all the time now and find them the best, having tried every type i could find.
    They're reusable just wash them in hot water, easy to insert properly unlike the foam ones which i have terrible problems with.
    GbEF3.jpg

Advertisement