Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread MkII

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭flamelily

fionas046 wrote: »
    Down 2lb :p

Only 1.5lb to goal weight. I'm off on hols next Tuesday so was not going to have a WI but I thought better of it. I researched to find a meeting close to the airport at lunchtime and when I said this to my leader she said ah no!
    She has been there for me from day 1 and so is coming early next Tuesday so I can have a WI before I go. I am praying for 1.5lb :o

I am so lucky to have such a supportive leader, not to mention all my 'online' support! :D

way to go fionas046 that is brilliant!!! and your leader sounds fantastic as well, what a fab way to start your hols!!! :cool: you have come this far me thinks you will get that last 1.5lbs sorted!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

right i'm off to make some spud soup to have for my lunch tomorrow....if i make it now I'll have to eat it for my lunch tomorrow!!!!!

1st of june tomorrow! 5lbs challenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Rugby Chic26

Hi All! Loving all the threads on this! I joined WW last week & had my weigh in last night & I was down 4lbs! Delighted with it! My first week was much easier than what I thought it would be! I find the whole pro-points system very good! I could really see myself sticking with it! So to the new people who are starting their first week - I would recommend sticking with it for the week & you will definitely see the results next week - good luck! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Well done Fiona. Wouldn't it be fab to be down the 1.5lbs and be at goal for your hols? Best of luck to you.

I am delighted with myself. I had my WI and I was down 2lbs! That's officially 3 stone and 1lb off! I got my 6th silver seven, my 3rd stone and a round of applause etc. :D

Welcome to the newbies - you can do it! If I can lose 3 stone, anyone can! Good luck to all.

bubbaloo wrote: »
    Well done Fiona. Wouldn't it be fab to be down the 1.5lbs and be at goal for your hols? Best of luck to you.

I am delighted with myself. I had my WI and I was down 2lbs! That's officially 3 stone and 1lb off! I got my 6th silver seven, my 3rd stone and a round of applause etc. :D

Welcome to the newbies - you can do it! If I can lose 3 stone, anyone can! Good luck too all.

thats fantastic bubbaloo......congrats on your 3 stone loss......thats amazing!!!

I am heading away to bed now.....my lunch box for work is packed and pointed as is my little 'snack attack pack' so I am ready to face another day......have a fabby evening whatever you are up to :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

some one set a challange a while back, I think it was 7lbs by a certain date ... when was that date and when was the challange set?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭fionas046

flamelily wrote: »
    way to go fionas046 that is brilliant!!! and your leader sounds fantastic as well, what a fab way to start your hols!!! :cool: you have come this far me thinks you will get that last 1.5lbs sorted!!!
    bubbaloo wrote: »

Welcome to the newbies - you can do it! If I can lose 3 stone, anyone can! Good luck too all.

Thanks everyone, sooooo excited. Thats 9st .5lb gone only 1.5lb to go! :D
    Never thought I'd get there but I'm beginning to think maybe just maybe........

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

fionas046 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, sooooo excited. Thats 9st .5lb gone only 1.5lb to go! :D
    Never thought I'd get there but I'm beginning to think maybe just maybe........

OMG that is amazing Fiona, well done!!!! Any tips for those of us starting out?

Made the cauliflower & fennel soup yesterday, it's fabby, even nicer the second day.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Layla0509

This is prob a stupid ? But how do you measure your intensity I've been doing Zumba since jan and I feel I'm putting more into it now than before like I'm sweating straight away
    What's the rule for gauging your intensity with WW?

Layla0509 wrote: »
    This is prob a stupid ? But how do you measure your intensity I've been doing Zumba since jan and I feel I'm putting more into it now than before like I'm sweating straight away
    What's the rule for gauging your intensity with WW?

Intensity is the amount of physical power, expressed as a percentage of maximum, the body uses in performing an activity. For example, it defines how hard the body has to work to walk a mile in 20 minutes or to play a game of tag

Measuring Intensity
    There are several ways to measure exercise intensity One common method measures the amount of oxygen consumed by the body as an activity is performed. This method is expressed in studies as the percentage of maximum oxygen consumption, or %-VO2 max. The oxygen consumption method is used most often in a research setting.

Another method of measurement works with the increased heart rate that occurs with exercise. The greater the intensity of the activity being performed, the higher the heart rate. This method is expressed as a percentage of maximum heart rate or %-MHR.

Measuring heart rate is the method most often used to evaluate intensity in everyday life or to set the level of exercise in physical training.

Low, moderate and high levels of exercise intensity, as measured by heart rate, are defined as follows:
    Low (or Light) is about 40-54% MHR.
    Moderate is 55-69% MHR.
    High (or Vigorous) is equal to or greater than 70% MHR.

An individual's maximum heart rate can be estimated by using the formula: 220 &150 age in years = MHR. Pulse rate can then be monitored while an exercise is being done and the % MHR calculated to assess intensity.

So, for example, the estimated MHR for a 50-year-old individual would be 220 - 50, or 170. Let's say that an individual's heart rate measured 100 beats per minute performing a certain activity. Since 100 is approximately 59% of the MHR (170), that would be considered a moderate level of exercise. The overall levels of intensity for a 50-year-old would be as follows:

Low Intensity: heart rate is 68-to-92 beats per minute.
    Moderate Intensity: heart rate is 93-to-118 beats per minute.
    High Intensity: heart rate is more than 119 beats per minute.

Rating of Perceived Exertion
    A simpler method than monitoring heart rate, which also corresponds with measured MHR, is the Rating of Perceived Exertion (or RPE).2 RPE is measured by having a person rate how they feel (psychological perception) when performing an activity. This kind of a survey, in which a person rates their perceptions, attitudes or feelings on a scale, is known as a Likert scale.

The ratings of physical effort and feelings correspond with heart rate, and people can learn to exercise at a desired level of intensity based on their subjective feelings of exertion. It should be noted, however, that people who have been previously inactive tend to overestimate their intensity level, especially for moderate activity.

Level of Intensity RPE Physical Cues
    Light Easy Does not induce sweating unless it's a hot, humid day. There is no noticeable change in breathing patterns.

Moderate Somewhat hard Will break a sweat after performing the activity for about 10 minutes. Breathing becomes deeper and more frequent. You can carry on a conversation but not sing.

High Hard Will break a sweat after 3-5 minutes. Breathing is deep and rapid. You can only talk in short phrases.

All activity – whether done at a light, moderate, or high level of intensity – expends energy, and therefore is helpful for weight loss. The more intense the exercise and/or the longer the duration of exercise, the greater the energy expended per minute and the greater the impact on weight loss.

• Advertisement

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    some one set a challange a while back, I think it was 7lbs by a certain date ... when was that date and when was the challange set?:confused:
    Found it(in the old thread):
    numbernerd wrote:
    on 07-05-2011, 08:31: The June bank hol is one month away..-7lbs anyone??!

c'mon all, fess up, who accepted the challange and how close are you to hitting it?

I'm @6.5lbs with tomorrows WI still to add to itcool.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Layla0509

c'mon all, fess up, who accepted the challange and how close are you to hitting it?

Think I did and I'm already down 8lbs next WI is on Sunday morning so hoping for another 2 by then fingers crossed

Took the challenge, since 7 May I'm down 2 1/2 pounds only :( but a weigh in due on Thursday evening so hopefully that will up it a bit before the bank holiday!

Right, garlic and potato soup made for tomorrow for lunch! Think i'll have it with a grilled chicken breast. With a skimmed milk banana smoothie :)

Soup 6pp
    Chicken Breast 4pp
    Smoothie 2pp

Will do an hour on treadmill about hour or two after lunch :) I'm also trying to cut back on the skinny mocha....slight week point! From now on...only going to let my self have coffee....after I've had at least my 3 pints of water.

Dinner I think I'll make the Quorn Lasagne, and that'll do me for dinner tomorrow, and lunch and dinner tomorrow.....

What can i have with the lasagne...tho ? I dont really do salad...does nothing for me...doesn't fill me up....and feels like a punishment... and i've been eating way too many potatos lately so dont want to make the wedges....

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fofany

Great results on here tonight. Congratulations to Fiona046 & bubbaloo & welcome to everyone starting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭LinK3

I had the sweet potato wedges this evening, I think I saw the recipe on here but it was a largish one so I'm not sure how many points... Can anyone help, just pointing the potato! I also had a tblsp of bramwells extra light Mayo (1 pp for 3 tblsp) so I counted 0 and the aldi chilli ketchup! Not sure about points for that either so if anyone could let me know, I'd appreciate it.. I will also be compiling my little notebook so I won't always have to bug people;) thanks for the support.... And I'm up for the 5lbs challenge Lainy.. Count me in...

LinK3 wrote: »
    I had the sweet potato wedges this evening, I think I saw the recipe on here but it was a largish one so I'm not sure how many points... Can anyone help, just pointing the potato! I also had a tblsp of bramwells extra light Mayo (1 pp for 3 tblsp) so I counted 0 and the aldi chilli ketchup! Not sure about points for that either so if anyone could let me know, I'd appreciate it.. I will also be compiling my little notebook so I won't always have to bug people;) thanks for the support.... And I'm up for the 5lbs challenge Lainy.. Count me in...

i <3 that mayo! waaaaay nicer than helmens lighter than light!

100g of sweet potato is 3pp

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

Wondering how many ppts would be in a regular fairy cake? My ma made some today and I couldnt not have one!

Another thing, is a bottle of Coors Light considered 'light' lager?

My second weigh in tomorrow night and Im terrified I havent lost anything! Have been very good all week, except for Sunday night! Lots of Coors light...

think i'm going to use a ww bagel to make tomatoey cheesy garlic bread....

cut a bagel,
    spread with tomato concentrate, mush in some herbs/garlic
    sprinkle with ww grated cheese
    Grill

Lasagne (10pp)
    bagel (4pp)
    ww cheese 45g (2pp)

DINNER!

Wondering how many ppts would be in a regular fairy cake? My ma made some today and I couldnt not have one!

My second weigh in tomorrow night and Im terrified I havent lost anything! Have been very good all week, except for Sunday night! Lots of Coors light...

Alcohol pp attached (Thank Skinnydoll)

LOL love the screen name :P my new puppy is called Rua haha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lorimc

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    Intensity is the amount of physical power, expressed as a percentage of maximum, the body uses in performing an activity. For example, it defines how hard the body has to work to walk a mile in 20 minutes or to play a game of tag

Measuring Intensity
    There are several ways to measure exercise intensity One common method measures the amount of oxygen consumed by the body as an activity is performed. This method is expressed in studies as the percentage of maximum oxygen consumption, or %-VO2 max. The oxygen consumption method is used most often in a research setting.

Another method of measurement works with the increased heart rate that occurs with exercise. The greater the intensity of the activity being performed, the higher the heart rate. This method is expressed as a percentage of maximum heart rate or %-MHR.

Measuring heart rate is the method most often used to evaluate intensity in everyday life or to set the level of exercise in physical training.

Low, moderate and high levels of exercise intensity, as measured by heart rate, are defined as follows:
    Low (or Light) is about 40-54% MHR.
    Moderate is 55-69% MHR.
    High (or Vigorous) is equal to or greater than 70% MHR.

An individual's maximum heart rate can be estimated by using the formula: 220 &150 age in years = MHR. Pulse rate can then be monitored while an exercise is being done and the % MHR calculated to assess intensity.

So, for example, the estimated MHR for a 50-year-old individual would be 220 - 50, or 170. Let's say that an individual's heart rate measured 100 beats per minute performing a certain activity. Since 100 is approximately 59% of the MHR (170), that would be considered a moderate level of exercise. The overall levels of intensity for a 50-year-old would be as follows:

Low Intensity: heart rate is 68-to-92 beats per minute.
    Moderate Intensity: heart rate is 93-to-118 beats per minute.
    High Intensity: heart rate is more than 119 beats per minute.

Thanks for that, it was really useful, I think I'm going to start to use heart beat and my heart rate monitor to judge the intensity of my exercise, I think I may actually be under pointing my exercise!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Right, garlic and potato soup made for tomorrow for lunch! Think i'll have it with a grilled chicken breast. With a skimmed milk banana smoothie :)

Soup 6pp
    Chicken Breast 4pp
    Smoothie 2pp

Will do an hour on treadmill about hour or two after lunch :) I'm also trying to cut back on the skinny mocha....slight week point! From now on...only going to let my self have coffee....after I've had at least my 3 pints of water.

Dinner I think I'll make the Quorn Lasagne, and that'll do me for dinner tomorrow, and lunch and dinner tomorrow.....

What can i have with the lasagne...tho ? I dont really do salad...does nothing for me...doesn't fill me up....and feels like a punishment... and i've been eating way too many potatos lately so dont want to make the wedges....

You beat me to it with your great idea of making garlic bread. Was going to say you could have some WW or lowfat garlic bread but your idea sounds waaay nicer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

I have a couple of things pointed and printed in a little binder now

Baking ingredients,
    Cheese/Dairy/Creams,
    Eating out - Eddie Rockets, Subway, Dominos, 4 Star Pizza, Nandos,
    Chocolate Bars
    Alcohol (nights out...which are rare)
    Desserts/Ice Creams
    Dressings/Sauces/gravys
    Coffees ie starbucks, costa coffee, gloria jeans, M&S

Hey Lainy, could I get the Eddie Rockets pp off you? Going to Shannon on Friday for an exam and we are staying in a Travelodge that has Eddie Rockets next door so am assuming that that is where we will eat on Friday night. Want to make the best decisions! :D Will be bringing a load of bananas and bran muffins with me though cos the exam starts at 8am and goes on till 12 so we wont have time for breakfast in the morning and I cannot go without my brekkie so will have the bran muffins with me for that :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Mother Teresa

Wow! Some fantastic results!
    Well done to the joiners, this thread is invaluable for tips and support, best of luck in the coming weeks.
    Finally lost 2lbs after my exercise/water plateau. SO thanks everyone for your help and letting me rant.
    I'm hoping its kick started things again! Onwards and down wards!
    On the plus side, my daily walk has become something I look forward to after only 3 weeks!
    Never thought I'd see the day I'd be put out if I couldn't get out for a walk :eek::pac:
    Hope everyone has a good week!

Down 0.75LBS today, I hit the magic 7LBS before the bank holiday:rolleyes:

Little dissapointed, but this was my 4th week without excersise, so it was probably unrealistic to keep expecting 2/2.5LBS again. I cant wait to get my bike, at least yesterday was the closure day for the bike scheme in work so the ball should start rolling now!

on a brighter note: got told a few times this week 'jeeeeessas, you're waisitng away' or 'the weight is just falling of ya, we'll have to send out a search party for ya soon':cool: .... That was nice to hear, but I'm still 14st11.5, which is probably 1.4/2st over where I need to be:rolleyes:

think i'm going to use a ww bagel to make tomatoey cheesy garlic bread....

cut a bagel,
    spread with tomato concentrate, mush in some herbs/garlic
    sprinkle with ww grated cheese
    Grill

Lasagne (10pp)
    bagel (4pp)
    ww cheese 45g (2pp)

DINNER!

I want your dinner :D the Garlic bread thingie sounds YUMMO (as my two year old likes to say :cool:)!!! I don't really like salad either......well I like cucumber and tomato but don't do lettuce etc so somehow my plate looks empty when I do the salad thing!!!

Going to do the maggi thing tonite with some chicken and I keep seeing people mention wedges.....does anyone have a nice, pp friendly recipe for wedges??? Cause me thinks chicken, veggies and some wedges will hit the spot tonite!!!

sign me up for the challenge as well lainy.....need a mini goal to work towards for June!!!

Congrats on the latest weight loss GT and it is great when people start noticing your weight loss :cool:

hmmm suppose I had best start doing some work :rolleyes: be good all

I pointed my basic fairy cake recipe (the rachel allen one I think) which makes 12 and it works out at around 6 pp per fairy cake.....thats plain with no icing etc but it really depends on what recipe your mam used. you can point each ingredient and that will help you work out the pro-points in the cakes. Hope that helps

Sign me up for the 5lb challenge Lainy!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Dublin25

Morning All & well done on the losses!

My 2nd WI this eve and am still bricking it! Even though i've been good all week, pointed everything, got to the gym and did a walk (ok not fantastic!) and drank so much more water than i would have but I am still nervous. At this rate i think i always will be!

Count me in for the June challenge! Would like to have a little goal for myself, think i'll just keep this to me and this group - outside friends and family don't need to know.

With the supposed "heat wave" coming, I found a 1 pp Ice pop the other day doing my shopping. Its on the style of fruit pastelle ice pop but has a small topping on it. The topping has the popping candy stuff on it. Bit of a throw back to my childhood but at 1 pp it is good for a treat. They called X-Pops by HB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 dubliin_ali

i made some a few weeks ago - pretty standard receipe, maybe very slighly smaller that a regular bun but with no icing etc and it worked out at 3pps.

On another note - can anyone tell me the pps in a mini mars bar - I was thinking 3 but I didn't have the bag to get the nutritional info from.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement