Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Torrent users beware

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually, when I say "the days of pirate digital information are coming to an end", I mean mainstream. Twon't be long before people see it the same as strolling into HMV and sticking a few CDs in their pocket.

It will always exist, but it'll become underground and basically the domain of real criminals soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Granted it's good for all you P2P & BT users, but why Xactly are they bothering suing just 20 ppl.
    What makes them different to the rest of y'all. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I presume it is "a message" to the evil profit stealers. Trying to send a message to the axis of evil. Break copyright and suffer the wrath of the law.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Has anyone actually tried Freenet? How about the likes of allofmp3.com. I think it's illegal to buy MP3s off them if your outside Russia (and maybe even if you're not!) but who's to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

seamus wrote:
    Actually, when I say "the days of pirate digital information are coming to an end", I mean mainstream. Twon't be long before people see it the same as strolling into HMV and sticking a few CDs in their pocket.

It will always exist, but it'll become underground and basically the domain of real criminals soon enough.

I see. TBH if they're gonna start suing people they should send cease and desist orders first before actually taking people to court. That incident with the little 12-year old girl in New York 2 years ago is what pisses me off whenever I hear of these cases.

• Advertisement

Infini wrote:
    I see. TBH if they're gonna start suing people they should send cease and desist orders first before actually taking people to court. That incident with the little 12-year old girl in New York 2 years ago is what pisses me off whenever I hear of these cases.
    Yeah, but nobody's gonna think of the record companies as "ruthless bastards that you don't want to mess with, and you'd better stop downloading" if they sent a C & D order to a 12-year-old girl, would they? :)

There's not a chance in hell they'd have the time or resources to take everyone to court, their aim is some high-profile cases so that the ignorant will stop, and more importantly, parents will take control for fear of what their kids are doing.

seamus wrote:
    There's not a chance in hell they'd have the time or resources to take everyone to court, their aim is some high-profile cases so that the ignorant will stop, and more importantly, parents will take control for fear of what their kids are doing.

They've been doing that in the US for 2 years but after the initial drop in p2p users when they first started suing people it just recovered stronger than before. On the issue of high profile cases the MGM vs Grokster in the US, and the kazaa case in Australia are the ones to watch out for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

seamus wrote:
    Shouldn't that read "Music uploaders face hefty fines in piracy crackdown".

I wouldn't worry too much, particularly if you've been using Bittorrent.

Though it is time to put your hands up and accept that the days of pirate digital information are coming to an end. It was nice while it lasted, but we all knew it was wrong deep down.

Don't be stupid, everyone who has the internet has downloaded something illegal, how can anyone stop this :confused:

There is always gonna be a way to get music/video illegally from the net

Don't be stupid, everyone who has the internet has downloaded something illegal, how can anyone stop this :confused:

Napster -> RIAA sue napster-> Napster shut down->Rise of Kazaa, Morpheus, etc,-> Rise of BT-> 50% of internet has pirate material->Lawsuits->iTunes-> ?.

Wonder how it'll end?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

GavinJCD wrote:
    It's been proven many times that the record labels don't lose nearly as much money as they say they do to downloading. Here is one such article...
    Here's another on the Canadian Industry, by Michel Geist.

http://firstmonday.org/issues/issue10_4/geist/

I think you're being a bit harsh on the matter of downloading vs. uploading btw. "Independent" reporters have enough trouble without bringing technology and modern social issues into the fray. The poor man's head could have exploded with the strain!

adam

• Advertisement

That's like saying "There's always going to be a way of getting music illegally from shops".

Of course there will be the ability to get music illegally online, but even now, the attitudes are changing. As the legal world and companies slowly catch up on the power of the net, and people see being online as more and more of a necessity rather than a pastime, the lines between just downloading stuff because you can, and illegal activity are slowly unblurring.

Soon enough, with DRM and probable legislation forcing ISPs to record traffic, people won't draw a distinction between stealing online and stealing in real life. In ten years' time, every 20-year-old won't know what the world was like before the Internet. The Internet for them will in fact be real-life, there will be no distinction.

In much the same way that we copied CDs to tape when we were younger, but then instead went and bought the CDs when we started earning money, file-sharing will slowly die out, and people find it's less hassle to buy online, and it doesn't twang their moral fibres quite so much.

Pity Irish laws can't be more like Canada's. :(

seamus wrote:
    In much the same way that we copied CDs to tape when we were younger, but then instead went and bought the CDs when we started earning money, file-sharing will slowly die out, and people find it's less hassle to buy online, and it doesn't twang their moral fibres quite so much.

I doubt it. Anyone who's used filesharing networks like BT will find how easy and convenient it is to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

seamus wrote:
    Shouldn't that read "Music uploaders face hefty fines in piracy crackdown".

I wouldn't worry too much, particularly if you've been using Bittorrent.

Though it is time to put your hands up and accept that the days of pirate digital information are coming to an end. It was nice while it lasted, but we all knew it was wrong deep down.
    Bit Torrent users are hardly the pirates running the show.

DannyD wrote:
    Bit Torrent users are hardly the pirates running the show.

But afink a 1/3 of all traffic on the net is now on BT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

there just getting p'ed off that its become so mainstream,
    as has been pointed out, its easier to download an album than to buy it.

theyll push it underground and itll go back to the way it was before 'nova and napster.

seeing as how bt traffic is taking up more and more of the web theyve got to stop it before it becomes too much,
    cant say i blame them,
    but i cant say i like it either ;)

Chalk wrote:
    there just getting p'ed off that its become so mainstream,
    as has been pointed out, its easier to download an album than to buy it.

And the DRM is a pain if you get a legal download and wanna put it on an mp3 player or minidisk. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

with bittorrent would they have to catch u in the act or would the isp's have any logs of usage, can they even force the isp's to release such info..if it exists......a friend of mine was wondering?? ;)

I'm wondering myself if they can do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Look at it this way, Don mind what the IRMA are ranting on about
    Id love to see them bring every1 to court over downloading music
    from the net there can not be one law for one person and another
    law for someone else.
    This is just to scare people off doing it in the first place no way
    would any of the cases ever go to court not in this country there
    just cant be any judge that will fine say a 20year old €5000
    for downloading mp3`s or movies from the net .
    So for me il never stop downloading if i get caught then screw
    em il just have to live wit it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

It would not be profitable for the record industry to sue everyone. In short term costs, the riaa, mpaa etc. lost money in the first few rounds of suing that they made. It's just a scare tactic.

Filesharing is not a new thing. Anyone remember BBS from the 80s? or computer conventions, where people met up and copied disks in the 80s? It's just more popular now, as every tom dick and harry has an internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ronan001

well, i hope here is the first place we will hear it if anyone did get one of these letters!!

I would imagine eircom or any other isp would be concerned about loss of customers to other untargetted isp, if the courts make them give up names!!!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

digitaldr wrote:
    How about the likes of allofmp3.com. I think it's illegal to buy MP3s off them if your outside Russia (and maybe even if you're not!) but who's to know?
    What makes you think it's illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Nermal

seamus wrote:
    file-sharing will slowly die out, and people find it's less hassle to buy online, and it doesn't twang their moral fibres quite so much.

ahahaha not going to happen. they can shut down public trackers, we'll move to private. they can block ports, we'll tunnel. they can inspect packets, and we'll wrap it in ssh.

my moral fibres are untwanged. this is what my computer was made to do, replicate digital information at zero cost. it's invention was the beginning of the end of copyright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Nermal: bit of an anarchist, are we!

I would have no problem buying CD's/movies if the artists / crew got >75% of the money I pay. But as it stands, most of the money spent on cds etc goes to Record company execs and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Terra

download all your files in a virtual machine and have it encrypted

The more the persue the better filesharing gets and the more people will use advanced technologies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

I trust i'm not the only one that remembers the old days?

hometaping2.jpg

And surprise surprise, it didn't.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Is%20copy%20protection%20constitutional%20riaa%20watching%20you.jpg

Allowing newspapers to give out free CD's isn't exactly helping to justify the high price of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

ronan001 wrote:
    I would imagine eircom or any other isp would be concerned about loss of customers to other untargetted isp, if the courts make them give up names!!!

could the courts force them to give up info...under irish law??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

There's a press conference in some hotel into Dublin tomorrow where IRMA are launching the "crackdown". It's going to be pretty ineffective, tbh.

Advertisement