Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powdered Alcohol

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Never heard of making it at home but that seems easy enough from what those instructions are saying.

Could make for a very cheap night out as it'd be easy as hell to smuggle a few sachets into a nightclub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

It'll probably be taxed ho high heaven here, and then there will be concerns cos some idiots will snort it, or put it in food.

wonder what it will taste like (mixed with a liquid)

Anyway, where would the enjoyment be ?
    Drinking to get drunk, or actually drinking and appreciating a nice spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

pa990 wrote: »
    It'll probably be taxed ho high heaven here, and then there will be concerns cos some idiots will snort it, or put it in food.

wonder what it will taste like (mixed with a liquid)

Anyway, where would the enjoyment be ?
    Drinking to get drunk, or actually drinking and appreciating a nice spirit.

Well, putting it on food is one recommended way of using it, dont tell me you've never cooked with alcohol, that is if your over 18 ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

shanered wrote: »
    Well, putting it on food is one recommended way of using it, dont tell me you've never cooked with alcohol, that is if your over 18 ;-)

cooking with alcohol... the alcohol quickly evaporates off, leaving the flavour of the liquid.

so adding wine to a dish that you are cooking will have no alcohol in it by the time it comes to consuming it.

anyway, i'd put wine in my bolognese , not vodka.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I believe they only go approval for the label for the product, not the product its self. So we will have to wait and see if the US actually allowed it to be sold

• Advertisement

Vodka actually goes well in tomato sauce for pasta. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

cooking with alcohol... the alcohol quickly evaporates off, leaving the flavour of the liquid.

so adding wine to a dish that you are cooking will have no alcohol in it by the time it comes to consuming it.

That's a myth, there's still plenty left by the time you've come to serve it.

enda1 wrote: »
    That's a myth, there's still plenty left by the time you've come to serve it.

Depends how long you cook it for really.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

A 2003 study by the USDA’s Nutrient Data Laboratory shows that the amount of alcohol retained in food can range from 5 to 85 percent, depending on the preparation method.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

There's definitely a few desserts i could see powdered!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,742 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Eat alcohol responsibly. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

irish_goat wrote: »
    Could make for a very cheap night out as it'd be easy as hell to smuggle a few sachets into a nightclub.
    A south african guy was telling me there were sachets of liquid alcohol spirits he got there which were easy to smuggle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_powder
    The cyclodextrins can absorb an estimated 60 percent of their own weight in alcohol
    So you will need to smuggle in more volume & weight than before. Some people are reading about this powdered alcohol and going on like its some magical new drug, like you would need very little of it, as though its like popping a few pills, but its still just alcohol.

A 2003 study by the USDA’s Nutrient Data Laboratory shows that the amount of alcohol retained in food can range from 5 to 85 percent
    yes, it takes a long time, the misconception many have is that if you heat a mixture past around 78C that all the alcohol will evaporate/boil off, but distillation doesn't work like that.

Advertisement