Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Favourite family?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I never got the love for the Starks, especially Ned. I was upset for Sansa and Arya that he died but I was glad to see his character go. He was a sanctimonious pain in the arse and was warned by many in King's Landing that it was a dirty game but he thought he was above playing politics. Oh well, a fool and his head are easily parted!

Glad I'm not alone in this. I like the Starks, but I don't honestly get the unadulterated love for them. Catelyn (although a Tully first and foremost, I think) was positively horrible to poor Jon Snow and she came across as sanctimonious as a result.

I honestly cannot pick a favourite between Lannister, Baratheon (STANNIS!!!) and Targaryen. I wish a long and prosperous future to the wonderful House Seaworth and lovely Davos, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I don't get the love for Stannis, tbh. He is one of my least favourite characters, along with the witch woman. The way they go on is just so annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,428 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I don't get the love for Stannis, tbh. He is one of my least favourite characters, along with the witch woman. The way they go on is just so annoying.

I'd say most people are basing it on the book version of Stannis, I know I am anyway.

Definitely book Stannis. He's honestly the only character who believes in truth/justice and is prepared to put his words into action. The only thing is his reliance on Melisandre. But still, I think the amazing Davos is still the key influence on Stannis, despite his hatred of the new religion/R'hllor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

From the book.
    Family are the Greyjoys.
    Character is Arya.

No real favs from the show. We have more to see of the Greyjoys and Martells so it would be one of them I wager.

Lots of favourite characters from the show mainly because of the actors. The hound, Arya, Tyrion, Tywin. Too many to name

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Definitely book Stannis. He's honestly the only character who believes in truth/justice and is prepared to put his words into action. The only thing is his reliance on Melisandre. But still, I think the amazing Davos is still the key influence on Stannis, despite his hatred of the new religion/R'hllor.

Really? Granted, I haven't read the books, but I wouldn't call Stannis burning people alive on the orders of some kind of witch very just. She seems to be using Stannis for her own ends, which makes me wonder about just how clever he is too. Davos comes off as the only real voice of reason in that camp.

I would have thought Ned Stark was the most upstanding anyway. He recognizes Stannis as the rightful king and urges him to take the throne once he finds out what the Lannisters are up to, and tries to stop the murder of Daenerys and her unborn child. He died trying to honour Robert Baratheon's wishes in the end. It was in fact his staunch belief in truth and justice that was his undoing.

Really? Granted, I haven't read the books, but I wouldn't call Stannis burning people alive on the orders of some kind of witch very just. She seems to be using Stannis for her own ends, which makes me wonder about just how clever he is too. Davos comes off as the only real voice of reason in that camp.

I would have thought Ned Stark was the most upstanding anyway. He recognizes Stannis as the rightful king and urges him to take the throne once he finds out what the Lannisters are up to, and tries to stop the murder of Daenerys and her unborn child. He died trying to honour Robert Baratheon's wishes in the end. It was in fact his staunch belief in truth and justice that was his undoing.

Yes, Melisandre is proving to be the ruin of Stannis, but I'm holding out hope. He's not stupid and he's got to, er, see the light soon. If only Davos had even a remote claim to the Iron Throne. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Junior D

Jesus I hated Catelyn Stark, what an outright bitch!
    To me, just came across as a selfish self-serving woman. Sounds mean, but I felt a little bit of happiness when her character (excuse the pun) was cut from the show!

My favourite family is the Tyrell's
    Favourite character was Joffery, even though I thoroughly disliked him at the same time. Just loved every single scene he was in and the tension he was able to build
    New favourite is Arya, love what a complex character she is becoming

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Junior D wrote: »
    Jesus I hated Catelyn Stark, what an outright bitch!
    To me, just came across as a selfish self-serving woman. Sounds mean, but I felt a little bit of happiness when her character (excuse the pun) was cut from the show!

My favourite family is the Tyrell's
    Favourite character was Joffery, even though I thoroughly disliked him at the same time. Just loved every single scene he was in and the tension he was able to build
    New favourite is Arya, love what a complex character she is becoming

In the books nor the show, I just could not warm to her at all. I wouldn't describe her as an outright bitch, but her contempt for Jon Snow ensured that even her positive traits weren't enough for me to like her.
    Maybe is comes from being a "bastard" myself, but I empathised strongly with Jon Snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,428 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Maybe is comes from being a "bastard" myself, but I empathised strongly with Jon Snow.

I'm in the same position myself and feel exactly the same.

I was born when being having a child out of wedlock was becoming more common but was still frowned upon a bit, all my friend's parents were married etc.

Nobody ever said it to me or even alluded to it but I kinda felt it growing up. I had an auntie who had to give up her child for adoption in the late 70's/early 80's because he was born out of wedlock and she never saw him again.

She's dead now but I've always wondered did it hurt her a bit when I was born and it had become more acceptable socially to have an 'illegitimate child' when she had given up hers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

In answering the question from the original post, I really am tied between House Dustin, House Fowler and House Trant.

I think Ser Meryn just tips House Trant for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I don't know if this is a show or book thread so I'll spoiler my opinion.
    Any Targaryen/Blackfyres are pretty cool in my book provided they aren't Dany. If Aegon is real I want him to make it. Assuming R+L=J then I'm a Snow fan. Also very fond of Davos and Doran Martell.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

Favourite character now has to be Oberyn Martell, he is so freaking cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Favourite has to be the starks, but in the last couple of books the one I liked reading about was the Greyjoys, particularly Euron

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Craster. ;)

Favourite has to be The Lanisters. Love Tyrion, great character. Loved King Robert and Renly too though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Favourite family has to be the Martells, mostly for the
    Sand Snakes and Arianne- they are so badass!

Favourite character is Arya.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Family : Baratheon

Character : Stannis

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Tywin marries the Queen of Thorns
    Jaime marries Melisandre
    Margaery marries Oberyn
    Loras marries Varys
    Tyrion marries Daenerys and they adopt Sansa
    Sansa marries Gendry, who has been adopted by Davos
    Tommen marries Arya
    Myrcella marries Pod

Cersei falls off a cliff.

They all meet at the funeral and decide to rename themselves as House Awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

On further reflection... I think the Martells may in some ways be my favourites. Book "World" rather than plot
    As Dornish, they're the most liberal both in terms of gender and sexuality, they seem to recognise that their power comes from the people rather than divine right, they encourage low-born children to play and mix with princes and princessses in the Water Gardens, they're the royal family that was never stupid enough to field an army against Aegon's dragons and bled his armies by guerrilla warfare until he eventually gave up.

Also book
    I love how Oberyn raised his daughters with the idea that they can take any man they choose to their bed but not to ask him to intervene should one hurt them as he's equipped them all with the skills to fight their own corners. Doran is a favourite of mine too, he reminds me of the ancient Chinese war-lords who would wait decades for a trap to be best sprung... "the long grass that hides the viper" and the one who clearly understands that war means innocent children dying.

And Oberyn. What needs to be said about Oberyn beyond how incredible a job Pedro Pascal has done portraying one of the coolest bad-asses in ASOIAF.

EDIT: apologies if I screwed anyone over with the dodgy spoiler tags. There's nothing *too* bad there but still I know how spoiler sensitive some are!

Advertisement