Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Cycling Books Thread - Discussion, Reviews, Recommendations Etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭rckfld

ROK ON wrote: »
    I bought Domestique yesterday and finished just five minutes ago.

Also bought this for €9.99 at the weekend loving it.

Anybody have Hunger by Sean Kelly?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Next on my list is Hunger..
    I thought it was a fairly disappointing read given the hype about it coming out.

(Perhaps it was intentional but there appears to be little attempt at editing the basic grammar and syntax errors.)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Hunger is a terrible book

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

I really enjoyed Domestique, but didn't really like the total ignoring of doping that must have been going on around him in the peleton at that time. Some great accounts in it though.

I was a bit conflicted about this. It was, in light of the recent spate of, refreshing to read a book thats major selling point is not doping. By ignoring doping it allows wegelius to portray the lifestyle and life of an ordinary pro, the suffering, the actual job itself, the lack of job security to which doping is pretty much irrelevant. It also made one of the sections I found most interesting possible, when he talked about Di Luca as an excellent team leader both on and off the road and how he compares him to Evans. If I want to read about Di Lucas doping I'll make a contribution to his pension fund and buy the book.

On the other hand, by ignoring it he ignores a huge part of the period.

Also "Does the Queen have to eat beans in tomato sauce for breakfast?"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

drogdub wrote: »
    I was a bit conflicted about this.
    I am myself. It doesn't take away from the book, just seems something overlooked, especially given it effected him as someone with a naturally high hematocrit level more on the face of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

I am myself. It doesn't take away from the book, just seems something overlooked, especially given it effected him as someone with a naturally high hematocrit level more on the face of it.

Domestique
    is actually like the Boards Cycling forum, how can you have a discussion about Professional cycling without discussing something that has proven to be a huge part of the sport and possibly still is:confused: Will probably get a warning now:rolleyes:.

I think that the book show's that once you turn Pro, it becomes much like any other job. It is not like these guys are footballers and getting paid huge sums of money to be a pro cyclist.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Domestique
    is actually like the Boards Cycling forum, how can you have a discussion about Professional cycling without discussing something that has proven to be a huge part of the sport and possibly still is:confused: Will probably get a warning now:rolleyes:.

Have a read of this thread if you haven't already, it's a feedback thread about exactly what you're saying. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85526383

Now back on topic.

Hunger was fairly disappointing for me too. Dull enough read, nothing revealing at all really. A lot like some soccer biographies I've read, Pele's in particular. Don't think I could bring myself to read Rough Ride, a whole book of Paul Kimmage isn't my idea of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dura Ace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Green&Red wrote: »
    Hunger is a terrible book

i wouldn't call it terrible, disappointing perhaps. i thought Stephen roches book was better than hunger. well worth a read.

Dura Ace wrote: »

id be interested in giving that a read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

I'm about one third of the way through Michael Barry's book.
    It's ok so far, the first couple of chapters are about Sky, then he jumps back to his teenage years, then moves on to the start of the Postal era.
    The language is a bit flowery at times, he sometimes uses 50 words when 15 would do.
    There's an irritating theme of "I'd heard stories about doping in the peloton but wasn't sure what to believe" running through it so far.
    Trying to portray himself as a wide eyed innocent etc.
    Only read about a third of the book though so we'll see how it progresses.

CPL 593H

Finished the Michael Barry book last night and it didn't improve at all, in fact it got worse.
    He goes into great detail about his training, injuries, crashes and recovery.
    His time with Postal, Sky and Columbia?
    Less so, hardly a decent anecdote or story in the entire book.
    If you're thinking of buying, don't bother.

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

Any good books on racing tactics newbie racer should check out?

Just published a week or two ago I think.

9781408846001.jpg

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

furiousox wrote: »
    Finished the Michael Barry book last night and it didn't improve at all, in fact it got worse.
    He goes into great detail about his training, injuries, crashes and recovery.
    His time with Postal, Sky and Columbia?
    Less so, hardly a decent anecdote or story in the entire book.
    If you're thinking of buying, don't bother.

Any interest in selling on your copy?

It's on kindle, sorry.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Diggabot

Read Fallen Angel and Sex Lies & Handlebar Tape on hols last week... two great reads about two legends. Downloaded the Ocaña book as well but haven't gotten around to starting it yet.

It's on kindle, sorry.

No problem..Maybe not one for the library, so!

Is it even worth the download?

51E9dly8U%2BL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg
    Reading this one at the moment on Kindle-Very well written and riveting so far-the history of the genocide at the outset is chilling.

The book is unputdownable so far.

Just finished the Juliet Macur book on LA, "Cycle of Lies" and is one of the better books on the affair-far superior to Wheelmen.

ckeego wrote: »
    No problem..Maybe not one for the library, so!
    Is it even worth the download?

I wouldn't bother, lots of very general stories and anecdotes but no real specifics.
    Very disappointing.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

inc21 wrote: »
    Any good books on racing tactics newbie racer should check out?

I found "Reading the Race: Bike Racing from Inside the Peloton" quite a good read. Maybe focused more on the US Crit scene than the Irish road scene but has a few good anecdotes from Chris Horner.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,303 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Mountain High: Europe's 50 Greatest Cycle Climbs - Daniel Friebe and Pete Goding

I just keep this on my bookshelf or coffee table and it's great to just flick open and read about the history of a particular climb. Amazing photos, and nice climb profiles and maps. You can get it in a big hardback version or a small 'saddlebag' version. The authors have published another book based on the same theme: Mountain Higher: Europe's Extreme, Undiscovered and Unforgettable Cycle Climbs.

9780857386243.jpg

Another one due for release shortly (June 5th), anything by Richard Moore is always worth a read.

Etape_96dpi_400x600p_str.jpg

CPL 593H

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I took out Slaying the Badger and Fallen Angel: The Passion of Fausto Coppi from the library today. Quite a decent selection of cycling books in Wexford Library.

currently reading Robert Millars biography. bit hard to get into buy otherwise a decent read so far

I'm getting towards the end of Hincapie's autobiography.
    Pretty good read.

CPL 593H

Finished Hincapie's book.
    Good read overall, he addresses the doping issue but although he's not proud of "what he had to do" he's not completely ashamed either.
    He certainly seems to become a bit judgemental of other riders post 2006 when he says he stopped doping.
    One interesting story was that the peloton wanted him to lead them out on the Champs D'Elysee on his last tour as a goodwill gesture.
    Chris Horner veteod it and said he would chase Hincapie down if it happened.
    Hincapie asked him why and Horner said "you don't deserve to do it".
    So Hincapie did the lead out and Horner chased and passed him.
    Hincapie says it was the angriest he's ever been on a bike, even more than when Garmin chased him down and prevented him getting yellow.

Starting 'Etape' by Richard Moore today.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Finished Hincapie's book.
    Good read overall, he addresses the doping issue but although he's not proud of "what he had to do" he's not completely ashamed either.
    He certainly seems to become a bit judgemental of other riders post 2006 when he says he stopped doping.
    One interesting story was that the peloton wanted him to lead them out on the Champs D'Elysee on his last tour as a goodwill gesture.
    Chris Horner veteod it and said he would chase Hincapie down if it happened.
    Hincapie asked him why and Horner said "you don't deserve to do it".
    So Hincapie did the lead out and Horner chased and passed him.
    Hincapie says it was the angriest he's ever been on a bike, even more than when Garmin chased him down and prevented him getting yellow.

Quite a strong review of Hincapie's book here in Velonews. http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/06/news/road/commentary-hincapies-loyal-lieutenant-rationalizes-doping-choices_330866

On the Champs Elysee incident, the take is very much that Horner chased him down 'as some sort of payback for testifying to USADA. Hincapie says he had never been so mad, and then laments this was “a clear indication of how [expletive]-up our sport was — I was ostracized less for doping than for being honest.”' So to emphasise, chasing him down as punishment for testifying about doping to USADA, and puts further into perspective Horner's ridiculously pro-Armstrong interview months after he'd been stripped of his titles by USADA and the UCI.
    My estimation of Horner has gone even further in a certain direction, not upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Got a 1st edition (is there any other?!?) copy of David Walsh's 1986 biography of Sean Kelly today. Delighted with myself!

• Advertisement

Out this week.
    You'll never guess who's written the foreword...:D

9780593074077.jpg

CPL 593H

Advertisement