Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need a Franco-Irish play on words.

• 11-04-2014 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭

Bit of a long shot, but maybe the combined brains of boards.ie can help. I'm looking for a bilingual play on words as the name of an Irish retail & exhibition space in France. I'm trying to find a phrase in Irish that sounds like the French peu d'Irlande. The first part of the phrase, in French, is Un petit contracted to the colloquial un 'tit which I can make into the Irish An tí ... and that's as far as it goes.

Can any of you gaeilgeoirs see/hear an Irish phrase that would fit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

So your French phrase is - Un 'tit peu d'Irlande", and you want something in Irish that sounds the same and also has meaning in Irish? Tbh I'm afraid it's unlikely to work. "Tí" on its own means a golf tee, but would be more generally understood as the genitive version of "teach", the word for house (doras an tí - the door of the house) - this won't make sense in isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Something with "lán de" at the end of it might work for Irlande.
    "lán go draid" is full to the brim.

Sorry! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Don't be - that's the kind of lateral thinking I'm looking for! My Irish is just a bit too rusty to be able to pick out the syllables that might make for a meaningful play on words. If it has to be turned back to front, that's no problem - we'll make it a talking point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

An tír seo 'is lán de.

Or

A lán den tír seo.

Advertisement