Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beginners Bass

Options
  • 05-09-2013 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm planning on getting a 4 string bass.I want to play rock and some jazz but don't know whether to get a p or j bass.I'v never played before or any instrument to that fact. I have two in mind from waltons ones a set and ones a bass and amp separate. If you have any other basses and amps you would recommend I would gladly appreciate it. My price range is around 200
    Heres the sets : SX-BG1K Electric P-Bass or Sx-BG2K Electric J-Bass
    The separate bass and am : Sx SPB57 and Artec B35S Powered Bass Combo Amplifier

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Personally, I'd recommend buying a bass secondhand as you would get a far superior quality of bass for that money. Is that something that you would consider or are you adamant to buy new? The basses that you have listed are grand for a beginner as you get all the things that you need in the pack, but once you improve and become more discerning you'll immediately want to buy a better Bass. If you have your heart set on those two packages, I would recommend that you demo them in the shop and see which one feels the best to you.

As for the amp, again I would say buying a quality secondhand amp would be the way to go as Artec doesn't exactly personify quality bass amplification. You can buy a Roland Cube or Marshall on Adverts for €175.

If you buy quality in the beginning you won't have to upgrade as quickly to better equipment when you improve as a musician. Even if you have to spend a few quid more now, it'll stand to you in the long term. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

"Passenger's" advice above is right on the button. Try out as many basses as you can. The one that feels right in your hands, and sounds right to your ears is "your" bass. The type of strings you use can play a big part in the tone.

The precision basses have a wider chunkier neck than the jazz basses. This is often a deciding factor.

www.adverts.ie often has great bargains if you decide to go the second hand route.

Best of luck with it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

yup, used is the place to be.

I got an encore lefty for my son for £5 on ebay a couple of weeks ago. it needed a respray and some frets, but all well within my skillset.

there are thousands of starter basses out there from guys who decided to start bass because they want to be in a band v=but don't want the effort of learning guitar.....

and then quit when they realise that bass is actually more than being able to jerk your neck like a pigeon!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Logic15

Yeah I might take a look online for second hand ones. But I have to like the feel and sound of the bass I know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Mar Mar Marmalade

I'd recommend you to get a Jazz Bass as a starter. Nothing against the P Bass, it's a lovely bass but a Jazz Bass is much more versatile than a P Bass since you don't yet know what style fits you (E.g Finger, Pick, Slap) and Jazz basses being the more versatile in the different styles of playing. If you had another 200 I'd tell you to go for a Vintage Modified Jazz by Squier but since your budget is 200 I'd recommend getting that SX Jazz Bass Set http://www.waltons.ie/Product/View.aspx?id=9993&cid=286.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Logic15

I'd recommend you to get a Jazz Bass as a starter. Nothing against the P Bass, it's a lovely bass but a Jazz Bass is much more versatile than a P Bass since you don't yet know what style fits you (E.g Finger, Pick, Slap) and Jazz basses being the more versatile in the different styles of playing. If you had another 200 I'd tell you to go for a Vintage Modified Jazz by Squier but since your budget is 200 I'd recommend getting that SX Jazz Bass Set http://www.waltons.ie/Product/View.aspx?id=9993&cid=286.
    Good luck!
    Thanks this is exactly the answer i was looking for. I'm going in next weekend to try the basses. I will let you guys know

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Mar Mar Marmalade

Logic15 wrote: »
    Thanks this is exactly the answer i was looking for. I'm going in next weekend to try the basses. I will let you guys know

No problem! Would love to hear what you thought.

Good luck! :P

Advertisement