Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tinnitus, Recording and Mixing

• 13-07-2012 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭GTE

Tinnitus is something I have and probably most of the users of this forum have in varying degrees.

For those who have it bad enough to have on a daily basis, how does it affect your work?

Should it affect mixing? If it does what is the effect it has? Have you noticed problems objectively dealing with your mix at the frequency of your tinnitus?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭peter05

Mine is in the higher freq. 15-16khz. ears tend to go out of phase (it's very weird) Happens more when am over tired so I rest well before a session. I have started looking into treatments for it and taking more care of my ears. Lately it seems to be on the retreat, but when it does happen in a session I just have a 10 min break and grab some air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

peter05 wrote: »
    Mine is in the higher freq. 15-16khz. ears tend to go out of phase (it's very weird) Happens more when am over tired so I rest well before a session. I have started looking into treatments for it and taking more care of my ears. Lately it seems to be on the retreat, but when it does happen in a session I just have a 10 min break and grab some air.

Sounds like you need custom made earplugs. I think any musician or DJ should have them.

I only have the cheap mass produced ones myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭peter05

flyswatter wrote: »
    Sounds like you need custom made earplugs. I think any musician or DJ should have them.

I only have the cheap mass produced ones myself.

What I really need to do is take my ears off when playing a gig. Have them already. Wouldn't recommend for forgetful people like myself. It's not fun been halfway across Europe on tour and reaching for earplugs and only finding one.

That been said the simple mass produced ones work fine for me also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I recently got a set of custom moulds with a -17db filter in them.

I've used them for mixing live bands, playing in live bands and sitting on a really loud bike.

For me it's just like taking the volume of life down, no adverse effects like what you would get with cheap ear plugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

It doesnt bother me that much, I have left side, only bothers me in a quiet room, hence why I try to keep noise around me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

I've been very lucky in as far as after 100 years in the music biz I've not had trouble with tinnitus.

However if I had I'd be taking it as a dire warning.

It's your ears telling you they've had enough and won't be taking it anymore - or at least not for long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭ Braylee Warm Warden

even if you protect them ?

ive taken up bass in a big way , but find the left ear and bass do not get on, i get some nasty resonances in the left side of my head and ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭writhen

I recently got a set of custom moulds with a -17db filter in them.

I've used them for mixing live bands, playing in live bands and sitting on a really loud bike.

For me it's just like taking the volume of life down, no adverse effects like what you would get with cheap ear plugs.

Do you mind saying where you got them? Need to get a set myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

I've miraculously no tinnitus problems after years of DJing and playing in bands but I reckon I've lost quite a bit of high frequency in my right ear from playing drums in a small room (I used to like using the ride as a crash). I usually just mix away regardless though, maybe I should start flipping left and right to see if I'm missing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

DaDumTish wrote: »
    even if you protect them ?

ive taken up bass in a big way , but find the left ear and bass do not get on, i get some nasty resonances in the left side of my head and ear.

Tinnitus is telling you damage is already done.

However I am no expert. From what I've heard if you loose some hearing , it ain't coming back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement