Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coins & Banknotes Valuation Sticky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

signostic wrote: »
    Morocco falus

Thanks for that! My poor dad was sure it was worth a fortune. Unfortunately not. Only worth €10-20

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I found behind a wardrobe a bag of about 1000 old Irish coins from the 70's and early 80's. Mostly coppers, 5ps and 10ps, all fairly well worn.
    Would they be worth anything above face value? And is there anywhere besides ebay that I could sell them?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Blisterman wrote: »
    I found behind a wardrobe a bag of about 1000 old Irish coins from the 70's and early 80's. Mostly coppers, 5ps and 10ps, all fairly well worn.
    Would they be worth anything above face value? And is there anywhere besides ebay that I could sell them?

You're probably at nothing as condition is everything and millions of each coin were produced. Adverts.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

There was a charity box in the Central Bank for old coins. Don't know what the current arrangement is.

https://www.centralbank.ie/consumer-hub/notes-and-coins/faqs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Good Morning,

A long shot but would someone know if that attached notes are fake. Someone has told me they are,thanks

• Advertisement

bullvine wrote: »
    Good Morning,

A long shot but would someone know if that attached notes are fake. Someone has told me they are,thanks

They look legit to me. Why would there be fakes in such a damaged state ?

The Isle of Man issued it own notes which included a 50 pence note which I have in my collection.:cool:

They look legit to me. Why would there be fakes in such a damaged state ?

The Isle of Man issued it own notes which included a 50 pence note which I have in my collection.:cool:

Thanks. I know nothing about bank notes, I found some old money in my mothers house and had sold it online. I sold those two notes and when the buyer received them. He replied saying "the paper quality is incorrect and covered with a film, water Mark is missing and the ink runs"

I am no expert but they looked real to me, especially considering they are meant to be 45 years old. I have had them for at least 20 years. Surely if you are gonna make fake notes you wouldnt be making one pound notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Thanks. I know nothing about bank notes, I found some old money in my mothers house and had sold it online. I sold those two notes and when the buyer received them. He replied saying "the paper quality is incorrect and covered with a film, water Mark is missing and the ink runs"

I am no expert but they looked real to me, especially considering they are meant to be 45 years old. I have had them for at least 20 years. Surely if you are gonna make fake notes you wouldnt be making one pound notes.

Surely he didn't pay much for them as they are in rank order. In fact, if they are fakes they might be more valuable than the genuine article.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Surely he didn't pay much for them as they are in rank order. In fact, if they are fakes they might be more valuable than the genuine article.

Not too much, i refunded him what he paid, he says he sent them back but they never arrived. He ignored my messages. I am not bothered really getting them back as I didnt pay anything for them but it was irritating me that he said they were fake and then accused me of being a fraud :o

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Not too much, i refunded him what he paid, he says he sent them back but they never arrived. He ignored my messages. I am not bothered really getting them back as I didnt pay anything for them but it was irritating me that he said they were fake and then accused me of being a fraud :o

Sounds like he's the liar and the fraud.

• Advertisement

Blade wrote: »
    Sounds like he's the liar and the fraud.

Yep, thats my thinking. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mikehn

My Daughter wants me to sell 3 consecutively numbered £1 notes for her. I havent a clue how much to advertise them for,so I'm hoping someone might guide me on this. They are dated 9/7/85. They were among a bundle of notes that her Uncle gave her. These do not appear to have been in circulation but she folded them when she got them, they are not sharply creased see photo. Thanks in advanceKyn0zA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Would there be fakes of the older Irish coins knocking around? Picked up a coin, supposedly from 1775 but it's in surprisingly good condition. I'm guessing it's just some sort of replica?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Treepole wrote: »
    Would there be fakes of the older Irish coins knocking around? Picked up a coin, supposedly from 1775 but it's in surprisingly good condition. I'm guessing it's just some sort of replica?

Yes there are obvious replicas of that and other years. You can tell them a mile off, if you send me a pic I'll tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭sceach16

Treepole wrote: »

There are very good forgeries of Irish coins from 1985 20p to 1700s woods coinage. Also some very bad ones ! Do not buy unless U are confident of the source.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Cheers for both replies. Good to know. Only collect coins on a very fleeting basis, mostly just adding to a small collection my grandfather had. I'll stick with the old adage "if it looks too good to be true...."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Does anyone know how I'd tell if this coin is real or a replica?

It's, I believe, a Henry VIII Groat.

Coin looks genuine but one can only ever tell by having it to hand.

https://oldcurrencyexchange.com/2016/05/05/obrien-rare-coin-review-posthumous-irish-coinage-of-henry-viii/

it's real but is it genuine....btw where does one acquire such a thing 6 centuries on...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭zimmermania

Anyone know if these have any value

• Advertisement

Anyone know if these have any value

I think the first one might be a British gaming token and the second is hard to tell as it's way too blurry! But looks like maybe a coin weight?

Thank you and perhaps you might advise on two more .

Thank you and perhaps you might advise on two more .

Sure, the first one is a James II Gunmoney shilling, probably 1690. These typically had the month on them, in your case April as per the Julian calendar used at the time. Interesting history on these, you should read up on them:

https://oldcurrencyexchange.com/2014/06/15/james-ii-gunmoney-a-photo-blog-of-the-known-variations/

The second is just a common British Royal Medallete.

Sure, the first one is a James II Gunmoney shilling, probably 1690. These typically had the month on them, in your case April as per the Julian calendar used at the time. Interesting history on these, you should read up on them:

https://oldcurrencyexchange.com/2014/06/15/james-ii-gunmoney-a-photo-blog-of-the-known-variations/

The second is just a common British Royal Medallete.

Thanks a lot a most interesting history and my worn shilling is probably from the Limerick mint if i have read the article correctly as it has the initials j r on it.

It is well worn and probably not worth much but of interest as i am from Limerick,thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

I have a 1986 20p piece in a key ring so little or no handling apart from its assembly into it.
    Also have a 1985 20p piece.
    1988 Viking commemoration 50p
    And a number of £1 coins from the millennium with a different emblem from the deer on them.

Far as I'm aware the 1985 coin might hold the most value ?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

I have a 1986 20p piece in a key ring so little or no handling apart from its assembly into it.
    Also have a 1985 20p piece.
    1988 Viking commemoration 50p
    And a number of £1 coins from the millennium with a different emblem from the deer on them.

Far as I'm aware the 1985 coin might hold the most value ?

How long have you had the 1985 20p

How long have you had the 1985 20p

I found it in a box of stuff about 5 years ago. I imagine it's there since it was turfed in there in change before euro changeover

I found it in a box of stuff about 5 years ago. I imagine it's there since it was turfed in there in change before euro changeover

The Irish 1985 20p is quite valuable, but be aware there are fakes. Post a photo if you can please.

The Irish 1985 20p is quite valuable, but be aware there are fakes. Post a photo if you can please.

Will do I'll dig it out at the weekend.

• Advertisement

Will do I'll dig it out at the weekend.

buried then?

Ahem, just wondering if this is one of those replicas that seems to be going around?

hope not, but beware.....:eek:

Advertisement