Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Invisalign Clear Braces

• 28-03-2011 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭JajaD

I got quoted for 1200 for a top row of clear braces. Has anyone had invisalign in and if so what did you think of them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭day dreamer

Hi there

1200 seems very cheap for clear braces, is this in Ireland or with an orthodontist?

Invisalign doesnt suit everyone so the cases needs to be chosen carefully. It can work well in the right cases however, it takes longer and costs a lot more than normal braces

hope this helps

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

Keep us up to date Jaja on how you get on, im interested in getting invisalign also.
    Wana get a few prices around the blanchardstown area.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 RayMers

Were did u get this quote? If you wouldnt mind pm'ing me as Im on the look for something like this thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Hi guys, also interested in invisalign, JajaD would you mind pm me also with where you got your quote. cheers

What a day: I'm also near blanch let me know if you get a good price in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭cb123

Wow €1200 is very cheap, was that just for the front teeth? Cause I know Invisalign offer treatment just for the front few teeth and it's cheaper.

Anyways lads thought I would post, just started my Invisalign treatment on Saturday gone. It's a really weird sensation, feels like I have a mouth feel of plastic, well I guess I kinda do.

So just a few quick details in regards to the process, Free consult, then impressions about a week later, then about 6 weeks after impressions the trays are fitted. Seems really long but it flies thankfully. Fingers crossed the treatment does too :)

I have quite a severe case, very overcrowded, and I have an underbite. The treatment in total is costing me €3200 for top and bottom, seems pricey but when you break it down it's not too bad.

Every time I visit I get a clean (around every 6 weeks), when January comes I can claim back 20% so around €640 and also included in that price is a professional whiting and I know they can be hundreds. So I figure I'm paying just under €2000 to get my all my teeth perfectly straight. Which isn't too bad, traditional braces would have been alot more.

By the way I know this seems like I'm advertising them, I swear I'm not, I'm just a little enthusiastic :) Ask me in a few months how I feel about them and the dent in my pocket I might not be so jolly....

• Advertisement

Cb123 Keep us posted on how you get on. Can ya see the Invisalign on your teeth at all?

I'm gona wait till after xmas to go for a consultation. Id be happy just to get the top arch done so hopefully its cheaper.

Hey Ant11, Yeh I'll do my best to keep ya posted on my little Invisalign Journey :)

Yeh you can see them, obviously they're not as noticeable as traditional braces, but with the attachments and my teeth being extra shiney, you know something is different, if ya get me... Most people don't notice it, there are of course the few who look at your mouth strangely when you talk and then the fearless few who have no problem asking whats up with your mouth.... I think as well for me I'm trying not to make them noticeable so I'm covering my teeth more when I talk, which people then notice... oh and I must say, the worse your teeth are the less "invisible" they are. I'd say they were considered invisible when no one knew what they were, but most people know about it now so the secrets out!

I'm pretty sure it's a little bit cheaper when you get just one arch, but I'll warn ya now. I went in just wanting my top arch done and ended up are both. The main reason I was roped into paying more to get both was that they explained that if you straighten one part of your mouth, the rest seems worse compared to the newly straightened teeth. I have a little bit of a under bite and they can cosmetically change that and can bring out my back teeth so they are not so sunken. Honestly, I know money is a huge factor, but make sure you are going to be completely 100% happy at the end of treatment because it's a lot to go through to fix one part of your smile and be in the exact same position in a few years not liking your smile because it's not perfect.

When I get a chance I'll chuck my ClinCheck up online and post a link here, it's animation of my teeth now and what they will look like at the end of treatment....

Oh and just incase I don't get to say it to you for what ever reason, good luck at your consult, and don't be afraid to ask questions and as my mother always says..... You can't put a price on confidence :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

Great posts CB123, keep us all informed on how you get on. Your quote seems pretty resonable can you post were you got them done? or PM me where you got them done. Im in dublin my self.

Best of luck!!

For any one interested here's my Clin Check

http://tinypic.com/r/9iajc1/5

Good post CB and great advice too. cheers for the link

• Advertisement

Have any of you <snip> Their website say the Invisalign start from 1950 but that could be just for minor cases.<br />
    <br />
    I haven't seen many other places advertising them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

no names allowed

My apologies Helimachoptor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

That's a great price. Pre-recession I paid almost 6k for ceramic braces and invisalign were the same price, but I wasn't eligible for that treatment.. would have loved them

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭day dreamer

Hi there

the clincheck looks great but you should remember the disclaimer in the video that says the final result may not be as in the video.

the aligners sometimes cannot give the same outcome as the traintracks for a complex case, but in more straightforward cases it can work very well.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sophiekearns

Cb123,

Just wondering how you are getting on with our treatment. Giving serious thought to Invisalign myself. Been quoted 3500 including retainers in Cork so even with the tax back it's not going to be far of 3k.. I need to hear a few good news stories before I part with that kind of very hard earned cash!!

Nearly at the four month mark now, and being honest the braces have become a habit but still can be annoying as hell.... Still finding it hard not to be able to drink tea and coffee throughout the day, seems small but until it's taken away you don't realise how much you miss it!

I had an appointment there Saturday morning to get an attachment reattached. It's the first of the to fall off, so not doing too badly except hours after being reattached it fell off again. It's not a huge deal, and I have been told that it will not slow down my progress or anything but it's a bit of a pain because I don't live in the same county as my dentist so I have to travel back down at the weekend, I know seems backwards, but worth it due to the savings I made and my parents live in there so it's not too bad.

Other than that the braces have been pretty much uneventful, loads of wanting to snack but unable too, lots of brushing and flossing but I have to admit my teeth look lovely and white. I really don't know what to say cause they're so normal now, it would be weird now if my teeth weren't covered in plastic. They feel lovely and safe all wrapped up, I think I'm going to find it hard not to wear them when it gets to the end, but sure that's a long way off, so ask me nearer the time.... ;)

Oh yeh progress... you probably want to know how my teeth are doing. Well there's a big different not straight yet and I am a long way off in regards to my top teeth... Bottoms though are looking very good... I am on set 8 of 17 for the bottoms so nearly half way there, when I was in the dentist Saturday she showed me my first set and I was able to compare them. Honestly I don't think I have ever been so happy. It was really nice to see a huge difference between the sets. My top teeth are on set 8 of 36 so a good bit to go there but already I can feel the difference, I can not feel the back of my canine tooth which I couldn't before. Other than that not much to report on the progress side.

If anyone has any questions I'll be happy to answer, just finding to hard to report things off the top of my head....

Bottom line though, definitely recommend I am seeing wonderful results already and am chuffed. Alot of money I know but can you really put a price on a beautiful smile... well I guess orthos do!

cb123 wrote: »
    Nearly at the four month mark now, and being honest the braces have become a habit but still can be annoying as hell.... Still finding it hard not to be able to drink tea and coffee throughout the day, seems small but until it's taken away you don't realise how much you miss it!

I had an appointment there Saturday morning to get an attachment reattached. It's the first of the to fall off, so not doing too badly except hours after being reattached it fell off again. It's not a huge deal, and I have been told that it will not slow down my progress or anything but it's a bit of a pain because I don't live in the same county as my dentist so I have to travel back down at the weekend, I know seems backwards, but worth it due to the savings I made and my parents live in there so it's not too bad.

Other than that the braces have been pretty much uneventful, loads of wanting to snack but unable too, lots of brushing and flossing but I have to admit my teeth look lovely and white. I really don't know what to say cause they're so normal now, it would be weird now if my teeth weren't covered in plastic. They feel lovely and safe all wrapped up, I think I'm going to find it hard not to wear them when it gets to the end, but sure that's a long way off, so ask me nearer the time.... ;)

Oh yeh progress... you probably want to know how my teeth are doing. Well there's a big different not straight yet and I am a long way off in regards to my top teeth... Bottoms though are looking very good... I am on set 8 of 17 for the bottoms so nearly half way there, when I was in the dentist Saturday she showed me my first set and I was able to compare them. Honestly I don't think I have ever been so happy. It was really nice to see a huge difference between the sets. My top teeth are on set 8 of 36 so a good bit to go there but already I can feel the difference, I can not feel the back of my canine tooth which I couldn't before. Other than that not much to report on the progress side.

If anyone has any questions I'll be happy to answer, just finding to hard to report things off the top of my head....

Bottom line though, definitely recommend I am seeing wonderful results already and am chuffed. Alot of money I know but can you really put a price on a beautiful smile... well I guess orthos do!

Great feedback CB:D

Why can't you drink tea?

When you say an attachment fell off and you had to get it replaced what do you mean? I thought the brace was a solid piece of plastic or am I wrong?

Cheers for your advise, I still havn't taken the plunge yet am trying to sort the financial side out first.

Well you can, but you need to take out the braces to drink hot drinks, otherwise you could warp them and it's alot of hassle to take them out just for one drink and remember you only have 2-3 hours a day of having them out and I guess I am a bit of a teaholic and found it really hard not to drink a cup every hour on the hour, but it's too much effort so I gave up on it.

No you're right the brace is a solid piece of plastic that is shaped to your teeth but depending on your case you will have a number of attachments stuck to your teeth, these are little white squareish pieces of cement that give the brace a little more pull/push with certain teeth. Here's an example http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-oK_qErD9n6k/TbeAsX7OIyI/AAAAAAAAAFI/SYucV_LE2CE/s1600/attachment.jpg They feel a little funny at the start but you get used to them, and they are not very noticable. I must say though, because of these attachments the braces look less invisible as you notice the bubble on the plastic where the attachment fits. Another example http://myinvisalignblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/side+view+trays+in.jpg

Anyways hope that answers that, if I can be anymore help let me know.

Good luck, hope you get it sorted soon! Quicker you get the on the quicker they will be off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Hi All, Just finished my invisalign treatment there 1 week ago, over all had 19 aligners, over the space of 9 months for both top and bottom, cost me around about 4k. I'm really happy with the result though my teeth are pretty much picture perfect except for a crown which I'm having replaced with an implant as soon as I can.....bah more expense :rolleyes:. Anyways just wanted to say my experience with them was really positive as was my results, if you can afford them and if they're suitable for your needs they are a good way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Msfc

Viper_JB, good to hear your treatment was a success. Would you mind posting before and after pics?

Msfc wrote: »
    Viper_JB, good to hear your treatment was a success. Would you mind posting before and after pics?

I'm actually due to get the first part of the implant done on Wednesday, so will post some pics up after that as I'm a little paranoid over that tooth right now. Will see if I can room some out pre invisalign ones :)

Viper_JB wrote: »
    I'm actually due to get the first part of the implant done on Wednesday, so will post some pics up after that as I'm a little paranoid over that tooth right now. Will see if I can room some out pre invisalign ones :)

Got the implant done, have a denture in place, still meaning to take a pic but my face is a little sensitive since getting the implant, first time I've ever had anything like that done. Not a great experience, but a successful surgery so far so all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭caster

Decided to go for Invisalign myself and just started it now... Day 2 in fact !

Overall, its been a bit easier than I though it would be. Once, they're in, I mostly forget I have them on. Getting them off is the biggest problem - but I'm probably too worried about them breaking and I'm getting the sense that they're pretty resiliant and won't break with some strong pulling (but I could be proved wrong there yet!).

I'll post again in a couple of weeks, once i get used to the routine etc. Right now, is probably not a good indication of things as I'm still need to figure out the best routine when it comes to eating, brushing teeth etc.

Overall though, pretty positive so far. Looks like there's 20 sets, so I assume that means I'll be done in 40 weeks (even though dentist said 10 months i.e. 44 weeks ?)

Delighted for ya Caster! 20 sets not too bad, so jealous, I started 6 months ago and you'll still be finished before me :( but do remember that with the treatment you should have the option of the refinements to straighten up anything at the end so your treatment might be a little longer, but at least you're getting more for your money!

Getting them off seems to be the biggest complaint at the start, I cried on my first day cause I couldn't get them off, hadn't eaten cause I was nervous and then went to the ortho at the crack of dawn for them to be fitted. Couldn't get them off all day and about 7pm I literally ripped them out of my mouth, I was just so hungry, and to my surprise I didn't break them, even with alot of force. Though I will admit in the 6 months I have had them I have broken a few pairs, just small cracks, nothing too serious thankfully.

Anyways my point, it gets easier and you will get more confident, maybe a little cocky like myself hence the snaps! It's funny actually I hate it now when they are easy to take off, it just seems like they're really loose and not doing their job, love changing them, nice and tight and love the pressure, gives my teeth a real workout :P

Thanks cb! Much easier getting them out this week - either they have loosened up alot or i've got more used to it now .. or both! Looking forward to changing to the 2nd set in a week's time. Will post aftewards.

On my 3rd set now .... and really settling in to the routine now. I think there's been some visible movement on the teeth but its hard to say how much for definite. I wish I had taken a photo right at the start. Popping them on and off is very easy apart from the new set every 2 weeks - the tightness only lasts a day or 2 max though.
    Mostly its been a very positvie experience. Impulse eating has reduced significantly which is good for the weight and the pocket - you find yourself questioning whether that bar of chocolate is really worth the hassle of flossing and brushing afterwards. And I do miss that a bit to be honest but overall, its a good thing that there's less of that !
    Looking forward to set 4 next week and like cb123 said, that feeling of tightness on a new set is a good thing as you know there doing what they're doing their job and moving the teeth a little closer to their final destination!

A sum total of 1 person has noticed them (or at least told me they noticed them) - which is pretty incredible really. I know that I would have felt pretty self conscious with metal braces, so I'm delighted wiht my decision to go with Invisalign for that reason.

Will post again in couple of months, should be noticing some major changes by then (I hope!)

Oh, one other thing about drinking coffee - my dentist said it was ok as long as the drink is not too hot (i.e. you take milk in it etc), so I have been drinking coffee with the braces in and have had no problems (apart from v slight discoloration of the braces which i'm guessing is from the coffee). Note: This is *not* recommended on any sites I've seen or by Invisalign so pls be warned - so just mentioning my experience it in case any coffee/tea drinkers are concerned about that one. I'm due a visit to my dentist soonish and will post if the coffee drinking is causing any probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Anonymous111

Hey guys, I have to get an essix retainer soon. Had braces when I was younger but didn't wear retainer consistently so my front teeth have pivoted slightly. The essix retainer is very similar to the invisalign braces if I'm not mistaken. My ortho told me I'll have to wear it full time for "a couple months." I'm assuming it might be slightly longer than this even though my teeth are pretty straight.

Can anyone with experience distinguish between the two (essix and invisalign)? I know the former is a retainer while the latter is not, but from what I understand they work in the same way?

Also, what are peoples experiences with speech since getting invisalign fitted? Any lisps, trouble pronouncing certain sounds etc.?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭kimberworth

Had invisilign braces Nov 2010-June2011, top and bottom teeth 3,200 euro. Fantastic result. Wear retainer every night since, due back to orthodontist soon and expect to be told I can reduce this to 5 nights per week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭doc_17

I had the invisalign treatment. Very happy with it. Anyone snooping around the thread trying to make their mind up I'd say go for it.

Great way to cut out all the snacking as well!

Advertisement