Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Question about the show

• 03-01-2009 6:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

i never watched it before, started watching it 3 days ago its better than i expected, but what order do i watch things in? im already at season 2 episode 17 and im not sure where the movies fit in with the series. Do any movies have to be watched in between seasons?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

In the Beginning should obviously be watched at the start as it gives a lot of backstory and hints at things to come etc.

Besides that I don't remember any of the movies being particularly vital to storyline, and they're not really great either so I wouldn't worry much.

Great show btw...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

keane2097 wrote: »
    In the Beginning should obviously be watched at the start as it gives a lot of backstory and hints at things to come etc.
    NO! WRONG! It should certainly not be watched at the start because it contains key revelations that only appear in later seasons in the main show. It's best watched sometime when you've watched the first five seasons.

Instead watch "The Gathering" first (which maybe what was meant above) and watch the movies afterwards, although you could conceivably watch "River of Souls" and "Thirdspace" after S4. Oh and 2 of the 4 movies are good ("In the Beginning" and "Call to Arms"), one decent ("Thirdspace") and only one somewhat poor ("River of Souls"). Don't ever watch "Legend of the Rangers" however.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

thanks for the help, i watched the gathering first (was that not the pilot?) just woken upp, hope to clear the rest of season 2 and season 3 today

basically i want to make sure i wont be missing parts of the story by not watching the movies

its interesting that even though it came out the same time as DS9 i feel as a show its aged as badly as TNG but i would still choose tOS over this or TNG so its not that the effects arnt great, i dont care about that i find the stories more predictible than i would like but i am really enjoying it and im told season 3 is great by the mate who lent it to me so im looking forward to that

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

ixoy wrote: »
    NO! WRONG! It should certainly not be watched at the start because it contains key revelations that only appear in later seasons in the main show. It's best watched sometime when you've watched the first five seasons.

Instead watch "The Gathering" first (which maybe what was meant above) and watch the movies afterwards, although you could conceivably watch "River of Souls" and "Thirdspace" after S4. Oh and 2 of the 4 movies are good ("In the Beginning" and "Call to Arms"), one decent ("Thirdspace") and only one somewhat poor ("River of Souls"). Don't ever watch "Legend of the Rangers" however.

Wouldn't agree with that at all.

I found watching it gave me hints of what was to come, suggested things. Whetted my appetite greatly and then when things got explained fully it all came together superbly. The satisfaction of finally understanding what I'd been puzzling over since I'd seen ITB was massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

And no matter what anyone says, don't get your hopes up for Crusade, it was quite awful.

• Advertisement

2 of the 4 movies are good ("In the Beginning" and "Call to Arms"), one decent ("Thirdspace") and only one somewhat poor ("River of Souls"). Don't ever watch "Legend of the Rangers" however.

Well im finished, it took me longer than i thought to watch the 5 seasons because of the ol 9-5 but they where really good!. I finished up season 5 last night around 1.00 and i found myself watching In the beginning - Twas a very enjoyable watch glad i stayed up to watch it instead of going to sleap i was in just the right mood for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

9 days to watch about 74 hours of B5 isn't too badd when working a 9 to 5 :)
    Watched it all in 4 days one summer, was rather fatigued after that one, but what a show, planning on lap 6 this summer, but not in 4 days this time.

Here about to watch call to arms

Whats this (it was given to me as a download - not on DVD box)

"B5 The Lost tales voices in the dark"?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Its basically 2 episodes back to back set between 'Sleeping in Light' and the rest of season 5 (sleeping in light being the final episode). The first story in it isn't great, but the second one is definately worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Don't ever watch "Legend of the Rangers" however.

:-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement