Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

micro atx vs atx

• 29-01-2008 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

now live in germany and have slight problem,

my mainboard has packed in, however still got an ok cpu, agp card and ram.

guy in shop told me that the only 478 socket mainboard with agp slot they had was a micro atx. i understand this is for the micro computers, but i had a look at it and it looks like it has all i need, however can i somehow graft it on to the standard atx case i have ?

from memory there was lots of holes and got some adjustable pins on back of inside of case. also micro atx has 20 pins for power.

am i missing something ? i think it would just slot in.

otherwise i got to spend a fortune upgrading and really not that keen !

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

You shouldn't have any trouble fitting the MicroATX board to an ATX case. Micro just means it's a small version of the ATX form factor but it would have all the holes it needs in the same spot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroATX

The real problem you might have is expansion, if you have a few PCI/ISA cards in your current PC case you might not have enough room for them on the MircoATX case. Also check the memory will fit. Other than that it should be much of a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Mantel wrote: »
    You shouldn't have any trouble fitting the MicroATX board to an ATX case. Micro just means it's a small version of the ATX form factor but it would have all the holes it needs in the same spot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroATX

The real problem you might have is expansion, if you have a few PCI/ISA cards in your current PC case you might not have enough room for them on the MircoATX case. Also check the memory will fit. Other than that it should be much of a problem.

QFT.

You should have no problems at all really. Apart from lack of expansion as said above. Dont worry, the guy in the shop isnt trying to do you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭action jackson

i cracked and decided to upgrade.

just bought asus job P5N32 E sli + msi 8600gt + 2gb ram + + dual 2,33 cpus +530 psu.

should be ok for a while, can get dual gfx cards and go to 8mbs on ram. not bad !

only live once !

Advertisement