Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Two types of Fada??

• 09-04-2014 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

I have the understanding that the fada is an acute accent: á é í ó ú leaning towards the right.

However I have a friend with children named Càitlin and Àoife with a grave accent. I wasn't aware this accent was part of the Irish language.

Is there anyone who could clear this up for me??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

PLL wrote: »
    I have the understanding that the fada is an acute accent: á é í ó ú leaning towards the right.

However I have a friend with children named Càitlin and Àoife with a grave accent. I wasn't aware this accent was part of the Irish language.

The fada is forward facing and changes the sound of a vowel.

A (Ah) becomes Aww
    E (Eh) becomes aodh or aye or é (same sound as in neigh or sleigh)
    I (ih) becomes eeeeeeeeeeeee (like weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee)
    O (oh) becomes the sound like in blow
    U (uh) becomes the sound like in 'you'.

If you can think of A, like in saying a, but á like in when your doctor asks you to open your mouth and say A?

Fada means long.

It's a long accent on the letter.

Instead of a short version, you drag out the letter.

If you think of Aha! and that sound, as opposed to Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Same letter, different sounds.

Aoife wouldn't have a fada in spelling (I think????)

The Caitlin one is just eh............. nonsensical in terms of the Irish language.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

To answer your question - there's only one diacritic in the Irish language - the síneadh fada. As has been described above, it's used to lengthen the vowel sounds.

As for the names - I'd love to see what's on their birth certificates?! First off, the Àà diacritics are nonsensical - thy don't exist in irish, and even if they were standard fada's, there's no fada on the a in Aoife, and if there was to be a fada in Caitlín, it would be on the i, not the a.....

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭GaelMise

mike_ie wrote: »
    To answer your question - there's only one diacritic in the Irish language - the síneadh fada. As has been described above, it's used to lengthen the vowel sounds.

As for the names - I'd love to see what's on their birth certificates?! First off, the Àà diacritics are nonsensical - thy don't exist in irish, and even if they were standard fada's, there's no fada on the a in Aoife, and if there was to be a fada in Caitlín, it would be on the i, not the a.....

Àà 'Backwards fada' might be comming from a Scottish Gaelic Spelling?

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

GaelMise wrote: »
    Àà 'Backwards fada' might be comming from a Scottish Gaelic Spelling?

Very good point - one I didn't think of. Though the positioning on the name still wouldn't make sense in terms of pronunciation, no? Trying to say the names out loud to myself here using the accents as written, don't exactly sound pleasant :)

• Advertisement

Neither names are Scottish Gaelic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

PLL wrote: »

As the others have said there is no grave accent in the Irish language.
    There is in Scots Gaelic but it seems like 'Caitlin' in Scots Gaelic doesn't get any type of fada anywhere in any case.

But 'Aoife' might be pronounced differently in Scots Gaelic so maybe your friend has deliberately put the grave accents on the names to aid pronunciation?
    Even if it's not correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

I read somewhere that the original primitive Irish language from centuries ago used both types of fada-and as the language spread to Scotland,and as the language evolved,the acute fada became the one accent used in Irish,and the grave fada was adopted by Scottish Gaelic.
    Mar shampla:

Gaeilge / Gàilig

Fáilte / Fàilte
    Éire / Èirinn
    Dún Éideann / Dùn Èideann

I have never seen Aoife written with a fada-but I have seen Cáitlín and Caitlín written in Irish.
    The Scottish Gaelic equivalent may or may not use the fada.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Seasan wrote: »
    I read somewhere that the original primitive Irish language from centuries ago used both types of fada-and as the language spread to Scotland,and as the language evolved,the acute fada became the one accent used in Irish,and the grave fada was adopted by Scottish Gaelic.
    Mar shampla:

Gaeilge / Gàilig

Fáilte / Fàilte
    Éire / Èirinn
    Dún Éideann / Dùn Èideann

I have never seen Aoife written with a fada-but I have seen Cáitlín and Caitlín written in Irish.
    The Scottish Gaelic equivalent may or may not use the fada.

The name Cáitlín should always have two fadas. Otherwise it ends up being confused with Katelyn etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

ezra_pound wrote: »
    The name Cáitlín should always have two fadas. Otherwise it ends up being confused with Katelyn etc.

That can't be right. Cáitlín would sound like Kawtleen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Absoluvely wrote: »
    That can't be right. Cáitlín would sound like Kawtleen.

Well more like kawitleen. But yea. Exactly.

That is the name. Other wise it would sound like Katelyn.

Caitlin would look like Katelin in English pronunciation.
    But if said in Irish,it would be Kattchlin-because the pronunciation of "ai" in Irish is not the same as the pronunciation in English.

An English boss of mine called his child Caitlín, but pronounces it Katelyn. No amount of telling him could change his mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Sounds like a case of the Vanity Fada rearing its head OP! And a Scottish fada at that.

Aard wrote: »
    Sounds like a case of the Vanity Fada rearing its head OP! And a Scottish fada at that.

BUT MY CHILDREN ARE SPECIAL!!!!!!!! :pac:

Worst children's names... sounds like the making of a new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Gàidhlig used two diacritical marks 'till about 20 year ago when they decided to cease with the Irish type 'stràc' (síneadh fada to us) and retain the 'stràc' that they use now.
    Either way, they don't use any on Caitlín or Aoife.
    In Ireland we do have Cáit and Cáitín for Kate and Katie....and shouldn't have to change our Caitlín for any Katelyn.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I'm not someone who regularly listens to Gàidhlig - what is the effect of the ` in Gàidhlig?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

I'm not someone who regularly listens to Gàidhlig - what is the effect of the ` in Gàidhlig?

The ì, è and ù are the same as Irish Gaelic.
    The ì is found in saying the English word bee.
    The è in dare and
    the ù in pool.

à is similar to how we say Navan...stretching the a rather than emphasising it.
    The ò is said as in aught.

That's how I hear it anyway.

We're discussing Gaeilge here, non?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

sopretty wrote: »
    We're discussing Gaeilge here, non?

Gaeilge and Gàidhlig are very close relatives (and were pretty much one and the same language up til about 200 years ago). The inclination of the accent on the words in the OP suggests the latter, rather than the former, hence the direction of the discussion.

• Advertisement

Perhaps the OP should just tell her friend that her children's names are from Scots Gaelic then?

Or, keep her nose well out lol.

An File wrote: »
    Gaeilge and Gàidhlig are very close relatives (and were pretty much one and the same language up til about 200 years ago). The inclination of the accent on the words in the OP suggests the latter, rather than the former, hence the direction of the discussion.

Our language is ours.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Perhaps the OP should just tell her friend that her children's names are from Scots Gaelic then?

Or, keep her nose well out lol.

Judging from your replies here, I reckon that's advice you'd do well to heed yourself. If you're not interested, stop posting.
    Our language is ours.

And that doesn't even make sense.

An File wrote: »

I always believed that too-that in the 4th or 5th century the Gaels(or Scotis,as called by ancient romans) from ancient Ireland who travelled to ancient Scotland spread the Gaelic language throughout Scotland.In other words,Gaeilge is really the parent language of Gàilig.
    I'd still often hear people saying jokingly that the Scottish speak the same language as we do,but with a very different accent.

Apologies for going off topic,b.t.w.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

mike_ie wrote: »

Since the adaption of "Cló Romanach" yes, but obviously we use to have the "ponc séimhithe / ponc buailte" before then. Thankfully with Unicode it's easy to use it now adays, particulary if you are using a keymapping like "Cló Gaelach" on the likes of Mac OSX.

ċ,ḋ,ḟ,ġ,ṁ,ṗ,ṡ,ṫ

Personally I think we should go back to using the punc.

-Duḃṫaċ ;)

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

dubhthach wrote: »

-Duḃṫaċ ;)

I agree and I also think we should adopt something to denote eclipsed consonants as well. :)

dubhthach wrote: »
    Since the adaption of "Cló Romanach" yes, but obviously we use to have the "ponc séimhithe / ponc buailte" before then. Thankfully with Unicode it's easy to use it now adays, particulary if you are using a keymapping like "Cló Gaelach" on the likes of Mac OSX.

ċ,ḋ,ḟ,ġ,ṁ,ṗ,ṡ,ṫ

-Duḃṫaċ ;)

Please tell me if you know of any way of doing that on a smartphone?

That was way before my time but I'd love to be able to do it.If I was to text my Ma as Gaeilge using the old séimhiú she'd be pleasantly surprised!

Seasan wrote: »
    Please tell me if you know of any way of doing that on a smartphone?

That was way before my time but I'd love to be able to do it.If I was to text my Ma as Gaeilge using the old séimhiú she'd be pleasantly surprised!

Well it's not included on keymapping's supported on iPhone (if i pressed won on C for example I only see three diacritics on that, none of them the ponc).

Given that it's supported in Linux with "Cló Gaelach" keymap I would imagine it wouldn't be too hard to have keymapping added to Android (Android = patched Linux kernel + custom userland + mutant-Java)

The slow way of doing it of course would be to use copy/paste in a smartphone. So for example prepare the text, send it in email, copy/paste out of email client into SMS etc.

I'm not sure though if standard SMS would support it, it probably doesn't use unicode for encoding.

I agree and I also think we should adopt something to denote eclipsed consonants as well. :)

ɲ / ŋ for ng (slender/broad) as an example perhaps?

For other cases, where there are several different diacritics available for g, d, b, n etc.

Awh well I doubt any such change would ever be brought in, but it's a nice academic exercise that's for sure! At least with bringing back the ponc there's actual precedence of it's usage in the language, likewise for encouraging the use of ⁊ instead of & (on my Mac: alt+& = ⁊)

• Advertisement
Advertisement