Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electronic Engineering Laptop

Options
  • 25-08-2013 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

I'm going into first year of Electronic Engineering in Maynooth and I'm just wondering if a past or present student can tell me if I need any particular specs or software on my laptop? I have seen a lot of people just using tablets and stuff because they're easier to bring to lectures and stuff, but to be honest I'm clueless! Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

Holy shítfúck, another Electronic Engineer! I was beginning to think I'd be the only one in the course :P

Can't really answer your question (yet), but I'd say for Engineering you won't be wanting a Mac for programming and whatnot... so that's a start.

This guy seems to have an idea of what he wants in an Engineering lappy.

The thread that I thought was right on the money (in my uneducated opinion), though, was this one. A new laptop is probably very handy, but maybe not essential. It's an expensive addition, and we'll have good access to campus computers when we need them. If you have an old (anything from the last 3-4 years) one at home, it'll probably do grand. If not, don't go all out on a massive investment, I'd have a budget of €500 max maybe. Probably less.

I will gladly wait to be proven wrong, eat my words and be called an eejit by someone already doing engineering though :D

Cya September 16th ;)

Advertisement