Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repair house roof felt

• 04-02-2013 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm hoping I can get some advice on this and should apoligies first that I really have no expierence with building/DIY but am only happy to try!

We bought a house last year and the attic has always been very cold and the house can be draugthy enough. While looking at how best to insulate the attic I noticed that the felt in places has been damaged. What I mean by damaged is that it looks like it might have been slit sometime back and now they are just some hole where the felt is drapping or flapping down (there was an extension built so maybe when this was done). In some places this means I can see through to some kind of white polythene sheet and in others I can put a finger through to tile (although this is very minor and only one place)... It's worth noting that (thankfully) there is no leaks and no dampness at all.

What I was wondering was, can I just puy some roof felt and "patch-up" the gaps? I dont want to have to take off the tiles and do a big job (trying to watch the cash). I'm not going to mess with the overlaps at all. If this is a goer, how would you stick the felt to the existing felt?

Hope this is clear.

Thanks,
    Niall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 les01

well this is a tricky one....
    after 21 years in the roofing trade i cant think of a way your going to stick felt to felt from the in side...
    by what your saying you have tiles on the roof..?? and if your not getting water in i wouldn`t worry to much...
    as it go`s to the draughths try looking at the loft hatch...
    dose it fit rite..
    is there daught seal around it....so..on...and...so...on

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭SargentDuck

Hey, yep there are tiles on the roof. Ok I might leave well enough alone for now so. There is a chance we might be building a small extension in the coming year - so can get the work done then. I think you might be onto something about the loft hatch, no draught seel and a little loose in places. I'll concentrate ont he insulation and draught seel for now.

Thanks Again,
    N

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Hey, yep there are tiles on the roof. Ok I might leave well enough alone for now so. There is a chance we might be building a small extension in the coming year - so can get the work done then. I think you might be onto something about the loft hatch, no draught seel and a little loose in places. I'll concentrate ont he insulation and draught seel for now.

Thanks Again,
    N

Patch the holes from the inside.

A small amout of black feltroof felt,and a tin of Rito waterstop.

Brush on the Rito Waterstop around the existing felt and hole and then place the patch over this.

Then get the entire attic spray foamed with bio foam 800 open cell.

Job done.:)

Advertisement