Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higg's Boson. Almost there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭SpaceRocket

Peter Higgs crying, more applause. What a day for science.

EDIT : Standing ovation and more tears from key audiance members

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

New Scientist ‏@newscientist
    In #CERN auditorium, #Higgs (and #ATLAS and #CMS) receive standing ovation, applause won't stop.

wow...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Feel so priviledged to be alive to witness this monumental day. Wow wow wow indeed!

Peter Higgs himself is about to speak....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Just got on and saw clapping and everyone stand up! Damn!

Just got on and saw clapping and everyone stand up! Damn!

I'm sure CERN will have it on their website soon :)
    Amazing. What a day. The applause just kept going. Would have given anything to have been in that room.

Press conference starting right now on
    http://webcast.web.cern.ch/webcast/play_higgs.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Announcement of THE Higgs Boson coming tomorrow from CERN, I'm surprised there's not more mention on here of it, its all over my twitter at the moment, i'm actually getting really really really buzzed.... This could be it!!!!!! :eek: :D

Peter Higgs is gonna be there ffs so this must be it!!
    Anyone else gonna be following the live feed?

Link - http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn22010-birth-of-a-boson-the-higgs-has-more-than-one-daddy.html

Damn - I missed the live feed, does anyone know if the conference (the one with Higgs) is online anywhere to look back on??

Damn - I missed the live feed, does anyone know if the conference (the one with Higgs) is online anywhere to look back on??

Afraid i can't find it up yet. http://webcast.web.cern.ch/webcast/play_higgs.html is now showing a re cap of some moments from earlier, worth the watch till they get around to uploading the entire talk :)

EDIT : one small video up so far http://youtu.be/9qLwDV0HWmw
    Not the best quality, I hope CERN uploads some good footage soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I feel stupid even asking this question but does anyone have a link that would explain the Higgs Boson in a more simplified way? I did Physics for the Leaving and, while it wasn't my strong point, I did find it very interesting and I'd like to learn a bit more about all of this.

I feel stupid even asking this question but does anyone have a link that would explain the Higgs Boson in a more simplified way? I did Physics for the Leaving and, while it wasn't my strong point, I did find it very interesting and I'd like to learn a bit more about all of this.

Don't feel stupid, wasn't it Richard Feynman that said "If you think you understand quantum physics, then you probably don't at all", or something along the lines... :)

http://youtu.be/sU9Q1A6Y1a0 is quite good.
    The book "An Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene is also great

UPDATE

CERN has literally just posted the talk in its entirety online here -
    http://cdsweb.cern.ch/record/1459604
    Enjoy! :)

Don't feel stupid, wasn't it Richard Feynman that said "If you think you understand quantum physics, then you probably don't at all", or something along the lines... :)

http://youtu.be/sU9Q1A6Y1a0 is quite good.
    The book "An Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene is also great

Thanks for that. I kind of have a better idea about it now. I encountered some old friends from school, namely the neutrino and the quarks.

I'll have a look into that book. I enjoyed learning about physics. I hated learning the definitions but the rest was very interesting. I'd like to know a bit more about how the world works. It could come in useful some day.

Thanks for that. I kind of have a better idea about it now. I encountered some old friends from school, namely the neutrino and the quarks.

I'll have a look into that book. I enjoyed learning about physics. I hated learning the definitions but the rest was very interesting. I'd like to know a bit more about how the world works. It could come in useful some day.

Glad I could help!

That really is an excellent book, I would highly recommend it and it is very accessible. Delves into a lot of interesting stuff that isn't covered in very much detail in leaving cert science, and way more. Mindblowing stuff.
    Physics is fascinating isn't it :)

Glad I could help!

That really is an excellent book, I would highly recommend it and it is very accessible. Delves into a lot of interesting stuff that isn't covered in very much detail in leaving cert science, and way more. Mindblowing stuff.
    Physics is fascinating isn't it :)

Yea it's pretty fascinating alright. I'll be up in Dublin on Saturday so I'll have a look around for it. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

What does the Higgs bosom mean in terms of future technology? Too early to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

It may be a stupid idea based on my own ignorance but is there any possibility that we may one day be able to manipulate particles level of interaction with the Higgs field i.e. change their mass? It would be extremely cool and useful. I suppose the only two answers I'm likely to get are that it is impossible or no one knows yet.

• sink wrote: »
    It may be a stupid idea based on my own ignorance but is there any possibility that we may one day be able to manipulate particles level of interaction with the Higgs field i.e. change their mass? It would be extremely cool and useful. I suppose the only two answers I'm likely to get are that it is impossible or no one knows yet.

My first instinct is no. Compare the relation of mass and the Higgs Boson to charge and photons. Just because we know photons exist doesn't mean we can change the charge of the electron say.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

As a completely non scientific student, can I try to compare this whole theory experiment to toast?

I.e. a slice of white bread has 25 calories, but the mechanism of heating it through toasting increases it to approx. 80 calories.

So the energy transferred creates additional mass in terms of calories, as a result of the transference of energy?

However the sheer amount of energy the toaster needs to generate (in my example) to generate that amount of additional mass has not yet been quantified due to the amount of effort needed to reliably statistically compute it, and so the Hadron collider has replicated toasting the bread/colliding atoms millions of time to establish that?

I've a mild interest in this, but am no physics student :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Why dont I believe this?
    The faster than light particle they discovered.
    The need to justify the expense of the machine.
    The Pons and Fleischman psychology.

I'd give it a couple of weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Why dont I believe this?

Do you know the statistical method they're using to make the claim?

I've heard they've only had a handful of "positives" out of zillions of collisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Originally Posted by FarmerGreen
    Why dont I believe this?

krd wrote: »

I've heard they've only had a handful of "positives" out of zillions of collisions.

Oh dear sweet Jesus, no!
    Not another conspiracy theory ...please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

Why dont I believe this?

"They", where "they" are an Italian experimental physics team (scientists are not some nebulous "they") did not find a faster than light particle. They found some evidence that perhaps a signal had been transmitted faster than light, but the systematic errors (errors related to the equipment to be taken into account before statistical errors) meant they could say nothing and turns out it wasn't a faster-than-light particle.

This is not remotely the same as CERN's five sigma result.

The rest of your reasons are just paranoia, it isn't even clear what the third means. As always, people such as yourself don't say anything about the actual results (five sigma deviation in all five channels combined), but just give some vague accusations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

a Positive result is a positive result, if I go prospecting for gold I dont expect every shovel I throw into the sluice to be 100% 24 Carat gold, But at the end of the day a handful of positives in those shovelfulls are enough to reward me with gold.

Fact is they have found this thing they were looking for, and found it more than once so they sem to be saying with the maximum level of certainty they will allow themselves
    Thars Bosons in dem thar hills

Oh dear sweet Jesus, no!
    Not another conspiracy theory ...please?

It's not a conspiracy theory.

I don't know the statistical method they're using or precisely how they're determining their event.

A few months back I was watching another boring tour of the LHC. And it was mentioned they'd only seen 3 positive results so far - that's out of zillions of collisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

I don't know the statistical method they're using or precisely how they're determining their event.

Then why not find out before forming an opinion?

Morbert wrote: »
    Then why not find out before forming an opinion?

Why don't you explain it to me - I am an ignorant person of low scientific knowledge.

Sorry for my suspicion. That I'm not jumping in the air with joy, that they've found the God particle down at the large hadron cathedral.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Why don't you explain it to me - I am an ignorant person of low scientific knowledge.

Sorry for my suspicion. That I'm not jumping in the air with joy, that they've found the God particle down at the large hadron cathedral.

Why wouldn't you be happy? You seem to have a great interest in science, Isn't any achievement in this field (pardon the pun) not a cause for joy, whether or not it helps a theory you don't adhere to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

Well before I say anything more, there is problem number one. It is not the God particle. It is the "Goddamned" particle. The God particle was a misnomer.

Advertisement