Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Resource List/Old CBS Irish Grammar Book

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I have this book since childhood, I just thought someone might be interested in seeing the sort of schoolbooks kids had around 1960.
    We used one alphabet for English and another for Irish from the day we started school without any great difficulty.

The book is probably out of print and probably out of copyright.
    I've scanned in a the first few pages and the last two with the terms translated.

If anybody is interested I'll put up a few pages a day until the complete book is up.

Anyway here we go.

frontcoverugs.jpg

page1cno.jpg

page3r.jpg

pages45.jpg

pages67.jpg

pages89.jpg

page87a.jpg

page88w.jpg

pages1011.jpg

pages1213.jpg

pages1415.jpg

pages1617.jpg

pages1819.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

FYI, a public domain version of this book is currently being prepared as an e-text for addition to Project Gutenberg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

Kwekubo wrote: »
    FYI, a public domain version of this book is currently being prepared as an e-text for addition to Project Gutenberg.

are you sure? have you any links for that?

• Advertisement

Since the only response has been "someone is doing it better elsewhere" I won't bother wasting my time scanning it in via ms-paint and rotating and saving 87 pages of it so. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

interesting the two different fonts used for irish and english

i wonder if there computer version of that exact font

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

yes you can get that font on computers - i havent seen it but i have deffo heard ya can

The font is called Cló Gaelach by Twomey. It includes made up letters for JQWXYZ.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I have a friend who I think would be very interested in this. I'll email him the link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Jaygon2009

I am the 'friend' mentioned above and I am very interested in old Irish Curriculum books!!Please do scan!

pages2021.jpg

pages2223.jpg

pages2425.jpg

pages2627.jpg

pages2829.jpg

pages3031.jpg

pages3233.jpg

pages3435.jpg

pages3637.jpg

pages3839.jpg

pages4041.jpg

pages4243.jpg

pages4445.jpg

pages4647.jpg

pages4849.jpg

pages5051.jpg

pages5253.jpg

pages5455.jpg

pages5657.jpg

pages5859.jpg

pages6061.jpg

pages6263.jpg

pages6465.jpg

pages6667.jpg

pages6869.jpg

pages7071.jpg

pages7273.jpg

pages7475.jpg

pages7677.jpg

pages7879.jpg

pages8081.jpg

pages8283.jpg

pages8485.jpg

pages8687.jpg

page88w.jpg

*** Complete ***

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Thanks Hagar,

I've downloaded the images, straightened, cropped, etc, and turned this into a PDF -- down to single pages and hopefully in the right order! It should print reasonably -- some day I might try and re-colour the pages back to white, but that's a job for another day.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/183530/CBS_Ulster_Grammar_Book_small.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Thanks Hagar, for all that scanning, and smiles, for all that editing! Very interesting read so many years later!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Keegah

Bard wrote: »
    Gaelic-English dictionary
    3.49Mb DOC file - Comprehensive (141 page) English-Irish & Irish-English dictionary in Microsoft Word Format.
    http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/gaidhlig/wentworth/faclair/dualchainnt/clar-gaidhlig.doc

I see Gaidhlig in the URL, not Gaeilge. Is that not Scottish, rather than Irish? I just want to be sure before I use it as a definitive resource.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Keegah wrote: »
    I see Gaidhlig in the URL, not Gaeilge. Is that not Scottish, rather than Irish? I just want to be sure before I use it as a definitive resource.

A quick perusal of the document would suggest that you are correct. It is a resource for Scots Gaelic, or Gàidhlig, as opposed to Gaeilge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Keegah

Perhaps it should be removed for the list? It might teach Irish-learners, such as myself, incorrect spellings for words.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I think it's an excellent resource. There would be more negatives in removing it than there would be positives. Questions like yours will help highlight the fact that it's not an Irish dictionary for anyone who reads this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

The Teanglann website is now indispensable. In the past week they've added An Foclóir Beag (1991).

However, the part I'm really learning a lot from is the Grammar section. This section here. It's a fantastic resource if you type in words and see the patterns to what happens in the genitive case etc after words that are masculine or feminine in singular, or after strong or weak plurals. It's been there a year or so but I'm only realising how valuable it is now. It takes a lot of studying and repetition but it does pay off if you stick with it. Keep looking for the patterns.

Advertisement