Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Stephen P wrote: »
    Looking for a bit advice on car I'm looking at buying.
    It's a 2011 Nissan Micra. It has 22,000km on the clock. Did a check on mywheels.ie and it says it has had 2 owners. The tax is out in Sept. 12 so I reckon it was registered or sold first in Sept. 11. That amount of kms seems very high. Could the garage have been a registered owner before it was sold on?

Any advice is welcome.

Just noticed on mywheels.ie that the NCT is due in March 2015 so I figure that the car was registered in March 2011, taxed for 6 months to end of August then taxed for 1 year from September.
    I'm still concerned over no. of owners and amount of kms? Is 22k kms reasonable for 10 months?

Jimdagym wrote: »
    It could be just taxed for 3 or 6 months early on. Is the reg number high?

The reg is just above 14500

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

It's high alright, for a micra. It wouldn't have been bought for motorway cruising. Wouldn't run away from it yet though. Get it thoroughly checked, and that mileage could be a huge bargaining chip.

Jimdagym wrote: »
    It's high alright, for a micra. It wouldn't have been bought for motorway cruising. Wouldn't run away from it yet though. Get it thoroughly checked, and that mileage could be a huge bargaining chip.

Someone I know ran it through their Cartell account and attached is the info about previous owners. I don't understand it though

• Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

First registered by garage, then privately. Could it be ex-rental?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    First registered by garage, then privately. Could it be ex-rental?

That's what I'm thinking. That would mean a lot of use by different styles of driving I suppose. Damn...what to do? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

What's the reg on it?

Any link?

Wouldn't be an ex rental (or shouldn't) it's too knew.

Assuming since the reg is 14500 that it's a D reg, simply ring your local Nissan dealer and ask them do they have any history on that reg, and was it registered as a demo to them.

What's the reg on it?

Any link?

Wouldn't be an ex rental (or shouldn't) it's too knew.

Assuming since the reg is 14500 that it's a D reg, simply ring your local Nissan dealer and ask them do they have any history on that reg, and was it registered as a demo to them.

Here's the link: http://www.belgard-nissan.com/used_car/used_car_detail.aspx?id=93096

Stephen P wrote: »

Ring them and ask them was it a demo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 feelingwoof

Just wondering could i get some advice on this please...

http://www.carzone.ie/search/SEAT/Cordoba/1.4-TDI-/613269092741980/advert?channel=CARS

• Advertisement

Seems expensive. Somewhere around the €3 grand, even less, mark would be more fitting.

Keep looking :)

Seems expensive. Somewhere around the €3 grand, even less, mark would be more fitting.

Keep looking :)

Fair enough thanks.

I'll bend your ear on these if i can please?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/SEAT/Cordoba/1.4-TDI-/1013274856147880/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Skoda/Fabia/1.4-tdi/413240267630140/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Peugeot/407/**1.6Die/213227444236240/advert?channel=CARS

Sorry, i finding it tough to choose a car. Have to travel around 850kms a week so i'm looking for a reliable diesel for under or around the 5k mark. I'll pay up to 1k for tax and insurance.

i can't see any of those links for some reason?

That's a tough enough one. Are you looking for a hatch/saloon/estate?

Does year/badge matter?

i can't see any of those links for some reason?

That's a tough enough one. Are you looking for a hatch/saloon/estate?

Does year/badge matter?

Links should work, ah well.

Hatch or saloon, not too bothered with the year or badge but hopefully something that's comfy, reliable and can save on fuel costs.(i'm not asking much am i!) I was also looking at a few Ford Mondeos, the tax is the killer but if i can keep it all under the 6k for the tax insurance and car mark then i'd be happy.
    Was hoping to avoid buying private because i know nothing about cars and i've heard to many bad stories.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Links work OK for me.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 51,115 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Just found this thread and I find it very useful. Well done OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

If the mileage its too low its clocked or after doing too many short journeys
    If the mileage its too high the engine is on its last legs

If its a petrol you can't sell it
    If its a diesel you can't afford it
    If you already have a diesel its no fun to drive and the DPF+DMF keep going

If its a D reg its been sitting in city traffic for too long
    If it's not a D reg it was driven the **** out of by a bogger on poor quality coastal roads and Dubs won't buy it.

If its an import its worth nothing because dealers convinced everyone imports are inferior cars.
    If its not an import its worth nothing because its been run into the ground by a careless Irish person

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Sonar

If this is the wrong tread to raise this question, apologies in advance.
    I've heard that there is a big VRT case coming up in the courts shortly - anybody know any thing about it - will it affect VRT on imports? and I heard the EU are involved. Any truth?

Okay so i've now changed my mind and have narrowed it down to 2, as you can see i'm not bothered by the look of it.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Hyundai/Getz/1.5-T-DI/201204206751621/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Renault/Scenic/1.5-DIES/813261909543090/advert?channel=CARS

• Advertisement

if that Scenic is a good car i'd go for it, but they're not without their woes AFAik. i drove one about 200 miles last Monday and averaged 62.3mpg.

if that Scenic is a good car i'd go for it, but they're not without their woes AFAik. i drove one about 200 miles last Monday and averaged 62.3mpg.

Thanks
    I've emailed the garage about a timing belt and he said it was done in 2006, sounds a bit odd since the car is 2004?

Thanks
    I've emailed the garage about a timing belt and he said it was done in 2006, sounds a bit odd since the car is 2004?

That's obviously wrong anyway, there's no circumstance that belt belt could of been done in 06. Either way i would consider it due, it's 6 years old with 60,000 miles.

That's obviously wrong anyway, there's no circumstance that belt belt could of been done in 06. Either way i would consider it due, it's 6 years old with 60,000 miles.

This is what he replied with... "The last recorded timing belt was done in 2006 in the service history. That is not to say that its not done more recently. If it needed to be done we could organise a service like this."

There's another one here
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Renault/Scenic/1.5-DCI-/813261096895990/advert?channel=CARS
    and here ..http://www.carzone.ie/search/Renault/Scenic/1.5diese/813262896505000/advert?channel=CARS

That silver one is the pic of that crop for me anyway, nice clean looking car. The NCT can be done next month too, so you'd have a full two year test if they would guarantee it!

That silver one is the pic of that crop for me anyway, nice clean looking car. The NCT can be done next month too, so you'd have a full two year test if they would guarantee it!

NCT is due in June, tax was March. How can i get them to guarantee it would pass the NCT?

NCT is due in June, tax was March. How can i get them to guarantee it would pass the NCT?

Well, you can do an NCT 3 months early.

So March, April, May, June.

March is next month. i'm sure when you were negotiating warranty you could factor that in, if there weren't willing to NCT or warranty it, just walk away.

Well, you can do an NCT 3 months early.

So March, April, May, June.

March is next month. i'm sure when you were negotiating warranty you could factor that in, if there weren't willing to NCT or warranty it, just walk away.

Ah right, hopefully i'll get it sorted.
    Thanks a million for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

Hoping to get my first car and it will probably be a 04 1.4l golf. I have been a named driver on my mother's policy since August 2011 and have my full licence since last November. How much would i be expecting to pay on insurance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Hoping to get my first car and it will probably be a 04 1.4l golf. I have been a named driver on my mother's policy since August 2011 and have my full licence since last November. How much would i be expecting to pay on insurance?

No one can tell you that. Try a few of the online quotes, if you get nowhere with them, start phoning insurance companies and brokers. Don't even think about buying a car untill you have found a quote you can live with.
    Best of luck.

Advertisement