Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Airsoft tips and tricks; Keeping your equipment functioning

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭FunkBlaster87

I know your not meant to dry fire but is ok to do it the odd time. When emptying a mag it's kinda inevitable you might get one or two dry fires, well in my limited experiance. Is this ok? Does dry firing only harm a gun if done in excess amounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I know your not meant to dry fire but is ok to do it the odd time. When emptying a mag it's kinda inevitable you might get one or two dry fires, well in my limited experiance. Is this ok? Does dry firing only harm a gun if done in excess amounts?

It will only wear a gun out quicker, it wont break it instantly ;)

The idea is the bb creates pressure resistance to the piston, so it strikes the cylinder head with less force than if there were no bb.

I built an rpk and when testing the rate of fire, I dry fired in incessantly :D
    It didnt break but I dont recommend you try it for too long :)

Perhaps this should be in newbie questions rather than tips mods?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 James M Keogh

Ok, I am a noob at this, just found the joy of airsoft a few weeks ago.
    But forgive me for sounding like an idiot, but what do you mean "turn off the hop up"?
    How do i do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

depends what aeg you have , the hop up gives the bbs back spin allowing you to increase your range to a degree ,also how straight your bbs travel

most of the time you find it inside the ejection port ,when the charging handle is pulled back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭mackey087

have a jg mp5 and i've noticed that the power in it seems to be dropping from when i first bought it. have it about 9 months now. mostly use it as a back up. regulary clean it and always run out the battery and then charge it up when back home. any ideas. cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

an aeg will slowely loss power as the spring beds in, as this is a back up you more than likely notice it as it has happened over a longer time, how many rounds do you think has been though it do you think?

Other than the normal power drop from beding in you would have to look at more mechanical problems like a problem with the air seal for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭mackey087

Puding wrote: »
    an aeg will slowely loss power as the spring beds in, as this is a back up you more than likely notice it as it has happened over a longer time, how many rounds do you think has been though it do you think?

Other than the normal power drop from beding in you would have to look at more mechanical problems like a problem with the air seal for example.

i;d say between 10.000-12.000 bb's. had a ak spetnaz and it did something the same. at the end of a skirmish it stopped firing. looked up mechbox and opened it up. gun still not going.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭maciek87

Well, I could say, that it is not a spring. There is only one option, that make spring bend together, so it have less power - not doing last shoot, on semi auto (the spring sometimes is getting locked inside, and it is not as long as it houd be), but, to make the effect visible, its taking a lot time, and... Well, its about probably because, the gearbox is not sealed off, so you are losing your fps in a chamber (about 20), another 10 at hop-up - which you did replace at all I presume, another ten becasue of the third gear...

. In JG replicas, it is often a problem. To repair it, youll have to just take silicon oil (like APS7) and take a look inside a gearbox... check the gear, resposible to put spring in to the chamber (the third when, when you`ll count from engine), sometimes is skipping a few ''steps further, and it is not putting spring to the chamber at all. If that will be the reason, you can buy ome bore-up system, r just replace this chamber part resposible for this.

Replace hop-up gum

Replace barrel to 6,02 i.e. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 loneborg

Hi. New in town.

Almost all of my manuals say something like this.

"Remove magazine and dry fire once in semi-auto mode directing muzzle in a safe direction."

This is to clear the chamber of the bb that nearly always gets left in there and to "de-cock" the spring, since auto-fire can leave it partly pulled back and if left under tension it will weaken.

Just something for those new to airsoft, the one time dry-firing will increase the life of your AEG.

(OK, I know if there is a bb in the chamber it is not dry-firing)

Just wanted my first post here to be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,160 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It will only wear a gun out quicker, it wont break it instantly ;)

The idea is the bb creates pressure resistance to the piston, so it strikes the cylinder head with less force than if there were no bb.

I built an rpk and when testing the rate of fire, I dry fired in incessantly :D
    It didnt break but I dont recommend you try it for too long :)

Perhaps this should be in newbie questions rather than tips mods?

IMO I dont see a .2g blob of plastic with a bad seal really causing that much resistance. Maybe on a TM model with a load of plastic parts it might be slightly important but I dry fire my DE UMP all the time, pistons still fine.

I think its just a way to sell more bbs :|

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭johnboysligo

IMO I dont see a .2g blob of plastic with a bad seal really causing that much resistance. Maybe on a TM model with a load of plastic parts it might be slightly important but I dry fire my DE UMP all the time, pistons still fine.

I think its just a way to sell more bbs :|

the piston itself is fairly solid the part your most likely to break from dry firing is the air nozzle if you break that and youll need to open the gearbox to change it out.

besides your aeg has a limited life span before something will break the best way to preserve your aeg in top condition is to use it as little as possible :P kinda stupid to say that but its true your parts will wear out and break after a certain amount of use wouldnt it make more sense to fire bbs when you pull the trigger rather than dry fire your aeg into a early grave / maintenance.
    clearing the chamber is common sense no bb in the chamber means no chance of it firing off and hitting someone not wearing goggles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

Im going down to the eirsoft near the phoenix park tomorrow to buy an afforementioned ak47 for 160, just trying to work out how much i need to take out of the account extra to get ammo, an extra catridge and anytihng else that you guys think would be a good idea to buy, cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Spetzcong

I think that AK comes with a battery and charger, although the chinese chargers are kinda crappy, so maybe enough for one of their decent chargers too, dunno how much they cost but I think it's on their website. Ammo shouldn't cost ya more than about €10 for a few thousand rounds.

IMO a decent charger is an essential piece of kit for your first purchase, it'll save you having to work out how long to charge your battery for and it's safer than just leaving those chinese yokes plugged in for ages, plus you'll be able to use it for every AEG you ever buy.

The only other things to buy then would be a mask or goggles if you're planning on skirmishing, and maybe a spare battery. You shouldn't need a spare battery right away but they're also handy to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

Spetzcong wrote: »
    I think that AK comes with a battery and charger, although the chinese chargers are kinda crappy, so maybe enough for one of their decent chargers too, dunno how much they cost but I think it's on their website. Ammo shouldn't cost ya more than about €10 for a few thousand rounds.

IMO a decent charger is an essential piece of kit for your first purchase, it'll save you having to work out how long to charge your battery for and it's safer than just leaving those chinese yokes plugged in for ages, plus you'll be able to use it for every AEG you ever buy.

The only other things to buy then would be a mask or goggles if you're planning on skirmishing, and maybe a spare battery. You shouldn't need a spare battery right away but they're also handy to have.

would this come with a chinese charger?
    http://www.eirsoft.ie/store/product_info.php?cPath=22_30&products_id=214

I should bring ID just incase yeah? only 16 more hours woo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Spetzcong

dizzywizlw wrote: »
    would this come with a chinese charger?
    http://www.eirsoft.ie/store/product_info.php?cPath=22_30&products_id=214

I should bring ID just incase yeah? only 16 more hours woo!

Yep. Chinese clone, so it'll be a clone style charger, they work, but a decent charger will be a good investment. I'd definately bring ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭.22 Lover

If I get silicone spray in my mag and my BB get covered in silicone how do i clean them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Just wondering what everyone thinks of using assault rifles in the rain? Does it damage the gun/battery or is it ok as long as it's not dropped into a bucket of water? I've heard different responses before but wanna make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Just wondering what everyone thinks of using assault rifles in the rain? Does it damage the gun/battery or is it ok as long as it's not dropped into a bucket of water? I've heard different responses before but wanna make sure.

If it does it hasn't happened to me yet, all you need to do is dry off your gun and gives it a good clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I've never had a problem, depends on the gun and how easy it is for the rain to reach the battery etc. I've used an M4 in Drogheda(battery is stored in the ventilated grip, water can access easily) in an absolute torrent of rain and the gun was fine, I on the other hand was soaked:)

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Airsoft_Invent

ive used WD40 for oiling my pistols slide, havent had a problem. but i wouldnt go near the internals with it..

• Advertisement

No no no no no no no no stop!! Use silicone oil....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Private Snafu

ive used WD40 for oiling my pistols slide, havent had a problem. but i wouldnt go near the internals with it..
    Leftyflip wrote: »
    No no no no no no no no stop!! Use silicone oil....

Listen to Lefty on this one.... WD40 isn't a great lubricant (it dries up and gums things up), it'll strip your aeg/gbb of all the decent lubricants already on it and if you're unlucky enough to get it on a hop up rubber it'll be wrecked.

The only reason I'll ever touch wd40 is to remove water from the outside of an aeg (after dropping kit in a puddle etc...), and even then I'll I'll wipe it clean and apply silicon oil.

Silicon spray is cheaper than WD40 when you look around, so there's really no excuse :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Crazyciano

This forum seems to be just turning into an advertisement for Silicone spray :)

next thing you know someone will be saying to use Silicone on your marriage to stop it falling apart :p

so just a quick question, so i have been using Mag midcaps for about a year now (about every two weeks) and i decided they needed a polish so i took out the spring and siliconed up all of them and now most of them aren't working..could that have anything to do with the silicone or is it that the mids are just past their use by date? :) its as if the springs have got significantly weaker and the wont feed at all anymore.. i let then dry out and everything and some are still mis feeding ..
    Thanks..

See that cap on the bottom of the mag? Take that off and remove the spring, clean any dirt and grime off then run a pipe cleaner with some silicone oil on it through the mag several times, then use a dry one to remove what's left, that should fix them. If the mags aren't feeding properly after that, stretch the springs slightly, then they should be ok.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

If I tell you I've swum accross a river, climbed out, and shot someone with an aeg, does that answer your question?

Crazyciano wrote: »
    next thing you know someone will be saying to use Silicone on your marriage to stop it falling apart :p
    Only if you have a rubber fettish.
    lperrozzi wrote: »
    Listen to Lefty on this one.... WD40 isn't a great lubricant (it dries up and gums things up), it'll strip your aeg/gbb of all the decent lubricants already on it and if you're unlucky enough to get it on a hop up rubber it'll be wrecked.

The only reason I'll ever touch wd40 is to remove water from the outside of an aeg (after dropping kit in a puddle etc...), and even then I'll I'll wipe it clean and apply silicon oil.

Silicon spray is cheaper than WD40 when you look around, so there's really no excuse :)
    Never use wd40 on airsoft guns. Wd40 eats rubber seals. Guny no worky magy venty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Crazyciano

Leftyflip wrote: »
    See that cap on the bottom of the mag? Take that off and remove the spring, clean any dirt and grime off then run a pipe cleaner with some silicone oil on it through the mag several times, then use a dry one to remove what's left, that should fix them. If the mags aren't feeding properly after that, stretch the springs slightly, then they should be ok.
    Hope this helps.

ok thanks, will do ..i have taken out the springs and siliconed them before but i never cleaned the inside of the actual mid cap..*fingers crossed* :)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Mando Commando

I used to use small amounts of silicone oil when cleaning mags, but got sick of the residue getting on the bbs and playing hell with hop-up for the first fill or two. Now I just take out the spring, rinse the mags out with hot, slightly soapy water, rinse well with plain water, and leave to dry in the hotpress. Bang the spring back in and viola - mags that feed perfectly, don't collect dirt and don't over lube up your hop-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Mando Commando

Gotta be sure they're dry though...

• Advertisement

nah, soapsoft is where its at.... its the only bath some airsofters will get that week.

Advertisement