Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Police salary?

• 14-05-2015 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

Small thing that bugged me a bit and now I cant even remember if I have it right but how much money does McNulty earn (or police in America in general , real or fictional)? I'm nearly sure I have it right but might be remembering wrong, when Jimmy is talking about maintenance and alimony with the ex she wants more money each month. He' spaying 2k at the minute and she wants it bumped to 3k. So realistically, he'd have to be earning another 2k a month just to live, no? So all in all, he's on upwards of $250,000 a year. I'd have thought they'd use fairly realistic figures for these things? Surely that cant be right?

Having failed to get started a few times on the wire I'm finally working through it now for the first time. On S03 E07.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

$60K No?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Small thing that bugged me a bit and now I cant even remember if I have it right but how much money does McNulty earn (or police in America in general , real or fictional)? I'm nearly sure I have it right but might be remembering wrong, when Jimmy is talking about maintenance and alimony with the ex she wants more money each month. He' spaying 2k at the minute and she wants it bumped to 3k. So realistically, he'd have to be earning another 2k a month just to live, no? So all in all, he's on upwards of $250,000 a year. I'd have thought they'd use fairly realistic figures for these things? Surely that cant be right?
    Who taught you math?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭blueskys

have a look at this,

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Police_Officer/Salary

more like around 60k, 250k is crazy. its not a well paid job in the US relatively speaking

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Actually, just realised I had the whole thing arseways in my head. Was thinking week, wrote month , then thought I had it wrong. Must have been month. Disregard so :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

McNulty didn't care, he thought they would sort the marriage out and not have to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Having failed to get started a few times on the wire I'm finally working through it now for the first time. On S03 E07.
    5k per month * 12 months is 60k per year.
    As of April 2011, an NYPD detective with 10 or more years of experience earns an annual base salary of $87,278. The total compensation package, excluding benefits but including longevity pay, holiday pay and uniform allowance, for an NYPD detective, third grade, with 10 years of seniority is $97,735.

http://work.chron.com/job-description-responsibilities-nypd-detective-17977.html

I'm pretty sure a new officer in the NYPD is on upwards of 50k. Not bad going and I'm sure they earn it!! Makes a mockery of our Gardai anyway. I considered applying to the Guards as a teenager, until I saw how much they're paid. Joke shop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I'm pretty sure a new officer in the NYPD is on upwards of 50k. Not bad going and I'm sure they earn it!! Makes a mockery of our Gardai anyway. I considered applying to the Guards as a teenager, until I saw how much they're paid. Joke shop.
    Less likely to be killed or maimed on the job though I would have thought. Also the cost of living in New York can be pretty high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭RZoran

Former friend is first year cop and earns around 60K. in the more liberal states/cities/counties/etc it can be like winning the lottery. The majority of people who earn over 100k in my city are cops or firefighters. $250k is a bit far fetched but 150-180k with overtime and senority is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭RZoran

blueskys wrote: »
    have a look at this,

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Police_Officer/Salary

more like around 60k, 250k is crazy. its not a well paid job in the US relatively speaking

http://www.cityofboston.gov/images_documents/CY2013_BPD_Annual_EarningsFINAL_tcm3-43231.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭.red.

The crowd i work for have a job going in payroll. Pm me your cv and ill pass it on abd put in a good word for ya!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement