Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chartered Engineer 2016

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The people who interviewed you make a recommendation. The MQB ratifys it. In theory the decisions have been made

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Anyone else interviewing next week?

Well on Friday I received a letter which I wasn't looking for. Still unsure what exactly went wrong in the interview as I thought it went well. Will be getting some feedback in the next while which should be interesting and from a personal development point of view should be useful.

But yeah, was quite shocked at the time to find out I didn't get it. Will examine the feedback to see if I can resubmit again in June/January, depending on what they say.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Thats pity Donal.

The letter usually gives feedback as to why you didnt achieve CEng status and a suggested time frame fro another application. Without being specific was your letter a PFO letter?

The letter was vague enough but they said feedback would be coming along later, so I don't know.

Still disappointed but curious where I fell down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

Just wondering If anyone submitted their professional report in June ?
    Any feedback or indication?

When are the interviews scheduled for in the various locations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Has anyone an interview scheduled in Mallow yet?? Been told it will be in october ,just hoping to get a feel for what time in october so i can prepare.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

Ladies/Gents,

Just a word of advice with regard to the CEng interview. I recently attained the CEng title (Jan 2013), however it was my second attempt.

If I could offer you any advice for this interview it would be not to underestimate it. There is a myth out there that if your report is accepted then it's 'in the bag'. Not true.

1. Prepare well for the initial 10 min presentation
    2. Know your report inside out.

I failed to prepare adequately for my first interview and paid the price. I was extremely disappointed. The feedback I received from the interview recommended that I wait 2 more years before applying again and get advice from a mentor.

I obtained advice from a mentor who was excellent. He helped me to improve my report and knew exactly what the IEI panel are looking for in a report. I reapplied 6 months later and was successful.

If you are or have been unsuccessful I would really advise you to get help from a mentor, even if it is not recommended in the feedback letter. Their knowledge, advice and experience is invaluable.

I hope this advice helps someone

Ladies/Gents,

Just a word of advice with regard to the CEng interview. I recently attained the CEng title (Jan 2013), however it was my second attempt.

If I could offer you any advice for this interview it would be not to underestimate it. There is a myth out there that if your report is accepted then it's 'in the bag'. Not true.

1. Prepare well for the initial 10 min presentation
    2. Know your report inside out.

I failed to prepare adequately for my first interview and paid the price. I was extremely disappointed. The feedback I received from the interview recommended that I wait 2 more years before applying again and get advice from a mentor.

I obtained advice from a mentor who was excellent. He helped me to improve my report and knew exactly what the IEI panel are looking for in a report. I reapplied 6 months later and was successful.

If you are or have been unsuccessful I would really advise you to get help from a mentor, even if it is not recommended in the feedback letter. Their knowledge, advice and experience is invaluable.

I hope this advice helps someone

Thanks for the advice. I have heard that the report is the big thing and the interview is easier but great to hear this perspective. You said that you had better mentoring for the report 2nd time round. If the report was sent forward for interview the first time what was wrong? It must have attained the standards to go forward for interview or was it your interview that just went wrong? Did you think you didnt know the report well enough? How technical are the questions ? Are they surface or probing into technical detail? A few example questions would be appreciated. Also, In relation to the initial 10 minute presentation. Any tips ?

Im still waiting on an interview date.

of course if you dont prepare you arent going to get it. That goes with out saying. And I dont think any one here has suggested that if they accept your report your a sure thing. What has been suggested is that by accepting your report they acknowledge the fact that you are at the standard on paper and at interview you have to prove it

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    of course if you dont prepare you arent going to get it. That goes with out saying. And I dont think any one here has suggested that if they accept your report your a sure thing. What has been suggested is that by accepting your report they acknowledge the fact that you are at the standard on paper and at interview you have to prove it

Yeah, I guess thats the big thing- Paper does not refuse ink and all that... The concern Id have is that there is so much technical content in a report and if they focused on one or two elements and went on tangents from there you could become unstuck. Also, if they push hard on a section of your report from a few years back and you aint in that section of engineering anymore it could become tricky to remember it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

poteen wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. I have heard that the report is the big thing and the interview is easier but great to hear this perspective. You said that you had better mentoring for the report 2nd time round. If the report was sent forward for interview the first time what was wrong? It must have attained the standards to go forward for interview or was it your interview that just went wrong? Did you think you didnt know the report well enough? How technical are the questions ? Are they surface or probing into technical detail? A few example questions would be appreciated. Also, In relation to the initial 10 minute presentation. Any tips ?

Im still waiting on an interview date.

At the time I submitted my first report I thought it was very good. I had two chartered engineering colleagues proof read it before I submitted and their feedback was also very good. The report did get me to the interview phase so it must have been ok.

However when I began preparing for my second submission and working with the new mentor that was assigned to me, he asked to read the report that I had submitted the first time. He recommended that I make changes here and there. Now while these changes were very slight they really made a big difference to the report. The biggest thing he noticed was that I did not take enough credit for my past achievements. One example that I can remember off the top of my head:

With regard to one particular project I stated that I was 'heavily involved' with certain aspects of it. He was not happy with this phrasing and recommended that I state that I was 'responsible' for this and 'responsible' for that, etc. Claim responsibility for everything in the report and don't be shy about it.

For each project in my report I had a list of responsibilities in bullet point format. At the end of each bullet point I had listed the competences covered by this responsibility. My mentor recommended not to have more than 3 competences for each responsibility.

He also recommended that I complete a competence matrix on a spreadsheet for myself, listing the competences covered by each project. This matrix will help highlight to the user if there are any competences or sub-competences missing from the report. This was also very useful.

In terms of the interview I would really recommend practicing the 10 minute presentation in front of somebody. 10 minutes sounds like a long time but it isn't really. My interview was on a Monday so I basically spent the whole of sunday afternoon & evening practicing in front of the wife (my biggest critic!!). Her feedback was invaluable. When I first began to practice I was ranting for about 15 mins and by the end of the night I had everything I wanted to say squeezed into 9.5 minutes.

The questions in the interview can get technical but they are all based on what you have in your report. They might quiz you on a decision you made on one of your projects and ask why you made that decision. I was asked about why I decided to use a particular element of equipment (in a system design) in one particular project. Why didn't I use another???

One last piece of advice is not to try and bullsh*t any of your answers. For instance I was asked a question relating to the acronym 'MTBF' (Mean Time Between Failures). I didn't understand what it meant but I was on the verge of bullsh*tting an answer. I decided against it though (just about!!) and queried what it meant. Once I knew what it meant, I was able to answer the question.

I hope this helps

poteen wrote: »
    Yeah, I guess thats the big thing- Paper does not refuse ink and all that... The concern Id have is that there is so much technical content in a report and if they focused on one or two elements and went on tangents from there you could become unstuck. Also, if they push hard on a section of your report from a few years back and you aint in that section of engineering anymore it could become tricky to remember it all.

Your report is meant to focus on the last 3-5 years. Older stuff can be mentioned but is generally not questioned in detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭davyd07

Hello. I am considering going for chartership next year but it seems that the process is changing. Has anybody got any thoughts on how things are going to change or if the process is going to be more difficult? Thanks.

It's staying the same for the January submissions, but June will be different.

http://www.engineersireland.ie/membership/registered-titles/chartered.aspx

Yes. I think I would be cutting it fairly fine going for a January submission at this stage though. Out of interest, what would you say is the average amount of time required to prepare a submission?

This post from earlier in the thread gives a rough timeline. I was unsuccessful in the January run this year, so will be reapplying in January.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83825643&postcount=32

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭budhabob

davyd07 wrote: »
    Yes. I think I would be cutting it fairly fine going for a January submission at this stage though. Out of interest, what would you say is the average amount of time required to prepare a submission?

I plan to submit for the January deadline, and although I will be under a bit of pressure to put my submission together I believe it should be achievable.

Saying that I have my template in place, my training calendar in place etc so that is a bit of a start.

davyd07 wrote: »

you have more than enough time to get it done

Starting from scratch though is a big undertaking. From what I have read, it is unclear if you apply for the January submission but are unsuccessful, do you then need to reapply in June through the new system, or do those unsuccessful in January remain under the old system. I presume it is a full reapplication through the new system.

• Advertisement

Have you rang engineers ireland and spoken to them?

It should take you no more than a week to complete a final draft and another week or two to get the signatories. Its the last friday in Jan that you are aiming for.

Yeah I spoke to EI and should you be unsuccessful this time you will need to apply through the new system in June.

Report is complete anyway and is with the supporters for signatures at the moment so the process is well under way!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

Hi all I have just put together the application ready for this evenings post. Does anyone know where do I send the soft copy of the scanned document?

I was told that they don't need the soft copy and that it is just to be kept for your own records. I hand delivered mine to Clyde Road last week and they didn't look for the soft copy.

Chapter 5.1.8, part (e) of the chartered engineer regulations state that one electronic copy of the full report should be sent to engineers ireland.

I know. That's why I asked them. They said it was just to be kept for my records and that they didn't need it.

If you have any doubts, it is best to call them yourself 01 665 1334

That's grand, if you have already asked them, I'm happy with that. Cheers!
    I'm a little nervous of the whole procedure now, I hope I get the interview!

I must have checked mine 100 times! I'd say send it and than call them Thursday to make sure they have it. You can double check the electronic copy issue and anything else at that point.

Best of luck!

Every one get their reports in?

• Advertisement

Yep! Couldn't get out early so sent my parents in with it at around three. They said there was a queue of 10 people when they got there, and a queue of the same number when they left.

Advertisement