Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CEX on Upper Liffey Street (Dublin) - Now Open

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

I was in there yesterday for the first time after being told for a long time that it's a great shop from someone I talk to who lives in Northern Ireland. I've been looking for a place like this for ages now and I gotta say, it's great! Some of the stuff is really cheap! Like €1.50 cheap. My biggest disappointment was that there was absolutely no Gamecube/SNES/GBA games there. There were also no Dreamcast or PS1 games there. They are supposed to be there aren't they? Although I don't see where they would put them as it's such a small shop. I guess I just have to get lucky and end up there on the right day, do I?
    According to the website, they do sell Gamecube games (but not PS1, Dreamcast, GBA or SNES). I thought they did have a Gamecube section at first, perhaps the stock ran low and they closed it? Or, as you said, it's quite a small shop, so maybe they never had a section

You could always buy the Gamecube games off them online, although I've heard that the online store is hit-and-miss. Maybe you could ask the store to order in certain games for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

There's a few, very few, Gamecube titles in there today, on the top left corner of the Wii shelf. There's a controller and a memory card in the window too.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jazzkamiden

I'm not able to buy online by the way, which is why I was excited to see the shop.
    Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    There's a few, very few, Gamecube titles in there today, on the top left corner of the Wii shelf. There's a controller and a memory card in the window too.
    Didn't see them even though I was looking at the wii section. Any worth noting? Mario, Zelda, Metroid?

Also did you see the price of the controller? Because I need one so bad. My controller broke as I was just about to defeat Gannondorf in The Wind Waker

Didn't see them even though I was looking at the wii section. Any worth noting? Mario, Zelda, Metroid?

Also did you see the price of the controller? Because I need one so bad. My controller broke as I was just about to defeat Gannondorf in The Wind Waker

The controller is 75 cents. Yes, 75 cents, it's 3rd party. The GCN selection isn't that great, there's a Sonic Mega Collection, some Sonic Heroes, Mario Tennis and Day of Reckoning 2, which is a good series of games, regardless
    of one's fondness of wrestling. I think there's more, but they escape me now. Say, about a selection of 10-15, if that.

Jesus Christ, 75c? That's amazing, I'm really sorry I didn't see it in the window yesterday...Doubt it will be there the next time I get to town as it will probably be a while before I do...

Did you see the price of the games? :)

• Advertisement

Not especially good. The first party and the retro Sonic comps fetch over a tenner. The rest is pretty manageable, 4-8 euro. On par with a decent PS2 used title.

Ah okay, thanks for the info :D

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Haha so funny you guys mention that 75c controller... I bought it, just for in case, cause I have a wavebird meself; then went to the cinema and left it behind by accident :D So if any y'all are passing through Cineworld, check out screen 4, middle of fourth aisle maybe? Free GC controller :D

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

Andy!! wrote: »
    Haha so funny you guys mention that 75c controller... I bought it, just for in case, cause I have a wavebird meself; then went to the cinema and left it behind by accident :D So if any y'all are passing through Cineworld, check out screen 4, middle of fourth aisle maybe? Free GC controller :D

What a coincidence I was just about to put a GC controller on adverts that I acquired by chance:D

I'm starting a job with one of their UK branches. Much bigger than the Dublin store, and even that isn't a massively big store compared to some of the other UK ones.

Fun :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭md23040

Some of the stuff is really cheap! Like €1.50 cheap.

Cheap possibly by Irish standards. But this is a franchise from the UK coming here, and as usual doing the ripping-off Irish thing.

Was going to buy the Wire Season 1 eventhough the box was dreadful condition for €15.

But as all Cex stores give free WiFi, checked UK price at £9 or €10.40 - 31% more.

Wiill buy in the UK as only in Dublin until Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

Any contact number?

None here ie.webuy.com/stores/store_details.php?id=1500 If it's like our store, they don't give out the number and just use it for CeXy management purposes and calling customers when their requested item comes in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Haha, search for cex, telephone and dublin and you get a load of sex websites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'm in two minds about this. I'm from liverpool, and I've been within distance of 3 Cex's (two in liverpool, one in birkenhead) for years and years, and they were better, better prices, better staff, blah blah. And the Irish store is a bit rubbish by comparison. On the other hand, at least they have one. I find the staff to be very hit and miss. Some are super helpful, some are like, sullen. Not to make comparisons(again) but maybe just because I was shopping at the ones in Liverpool for so long, they were quite friendly, better stock, etc. I think they should open another store, see how that goes.

Apparently they don't even give a cursory glance at DVDs that they take for trade in. Bought one today, got home and found it to be covered in what I'll presume is food and a load of scratches.

Not a big deal. I work on Abbey St anyway so can return it easily. Interesting though. Handy to be able to offload a load of scratched/fscked DVDs though. :rolleyes:

I think they've got worse as times gone by. Ive been there a few times this week, half the stocks gone off the shelves, and the staff are... some are good, say, 2 of them. The rest of them are rude and abrasive. I'm just gonna start trading in at HMV again.

Nevore wrote: »
    Apparently they don't even give a cursory glance at DVDs that they take for trade in. Bought one today, got home and found it to be covered in what I'll presume is food and a load of scratches.

Not a big deal. I work on Abbey St anyway so can return it easily. Interesting though. Handy to be able to offload a load of scratched/fscked DVDs though. :rolleyes:
    I guess it depends from store to store, and person to person, but I'm a hard-ass when I get trade-ins. If it's got a few scratches, we knock £1 off the value to get it cleaned - not sure if it's the same situation in the Dublin store. I'm also baffled at how often I get DVDs with food on them. WHY.
    cloud493 wrote: »
    I think they've got worse as times gone by. Ive been there a few times this week, half the stocks gone off the shelves, and the staff are... some are good, say, 2 of them. The rest of them are rude and abrasive. I'm just gonna start trading in at HMV again.
    In terms of stock, most stores are barren after Christmas, and only building up stock now. Supply and demand. Lots of people beginning to trade in unwanted gifts, though. In terms of staff, don't be afraid to mention it to the manager, dude. He seems like a cool guy. In the store I work in, we've had people both compliment our staff, and say "Everyone here is usually very helpful, but the sales assistant didn't feel very interested/helpful/whatever today". Normally it's just someone having a bad day (sometimes you can get a lot of flak from customers), but at least if the manager is aware of it, it can be dealt with if it needs to be. Obviously I don't represent CeX in any official manner whatsoever, but we do our best to offer great service, so don't be afraid to let the manager know if you had a less-than-satisfactory experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 aceofwands

I find two members of staff of CEX in particular to be terrible; one is a bulky guy with a goatee who always seems to be in a pisser of a mood about something. The other is the pink-haired troll who can't even manage a smile, or to acknowledge the customer. What a misery guts. If she doesn't like her job, then she needs to go. She's awful, she really is. She knows nothing about anything except trying desperately to come across as youthful and hip, which she is anything BUT.

Two staff members stand out as being the best; one is a guy with long hair in a ponytail, and the other is a guy with glasses. At least they care about doing a good job, and aren't pre-occupied with looking like some candy-flossed pensioner. I'm sorry, but she needs to go back to the CEX in Southampton, and put someone else in there who doesn't act like a total cow.

aceofwands wrote: »
    I find two members of staff of CEX in particular to be terrible; one is a bulky guy with a goatee who always seems to be in a pisser of a mood about something. The other is the pink-haired troll who can't even manage a smile, or to acknowledge the customer. What a misery guts. If she doesn't like her job, then she needs to go. She's awful, she really is. She knows nothing about anything except trying desperately to come across as youthful and hip, which she is anything BUT.

Two staff members stand out as being the best; one is a guy with long hair in a ponytail, and the other is a guy with glasses. At least they care about doing a good job, and aren't pre-occupied with looking like some candy-flossed pensioner. I'm sorry, but she needs to go back to the CEX in Southampton, and put someone else in there who doesn't act like a total cow.

I know exactly who you mean? Girl with American accent?

• Advertisement

She was actually chirpy and sh1t to begin with. Maybe you fúcks are the one getting her down? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Nevore wrote: »
    She was actually chirpy and sh1t to begin with. Maybe you fúcks are the one getting her down? :P

Was just thinking the same thing. First few times I went in she was all happy and smiley, now she just scowls.

I don't think it's got anything to do with the customers as to why she's as horrible as she is (her name is <SNIP> btw). She's just got a ****ty work ethic, and a bad attitude towards customers. For a short period she was okay, but now she's sour enough to turn anyone away. She sold a DVD box set to a friend of mine, who later wanted to trade it. She told him they don't accept Region 1 DVDs, even though their price tag was still on the cover, and when he pointed this out, she got stroppy about it. Unbelievable.

I know exactly who you mean? Girl with American accent?

Yes and no. She's American, but not a girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

aceofwands wrote: »
    I don't think it's got anything to do with the customers as to why she's as horrible as she is (her name is XXXXX btw). She's just got a ****ty work ethic, and a bad attitude towards customers. For a short period she was okay, but now she's sour enough to turn anyone away. She sold a DVD box set to a friend of mine, who later wanted to trade it. She told him they don't accept Region 1 DVDs, even though their price tag was still on the cover, and when he pointed this out, she got stroppy about it. Unbelievable.

does she really need her name published?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,794 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Please don't go naming staff. Next person that does it is getting banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I've had a number of problems in the shop, went to buy Grand Theft Auto: Episodes From Liberty City, he wouldn't sell it to me because by their mistake it had the price tag for the standard Grand Theft Auto IV, i tried my best to convince him that i was entitled to that price, but to no avail.

I also had a few incidents of staff standing behind the counters chatting away and ignoring customers, customer service is very important, especially in such a competitive area like Dublin city.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,392 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    i tried my best to convince him that i was entitled to that price, but to no avail.

A lot of people get this one wrong.

If they price something incorrectly you are not automatically entitled to it. A shop does not have to sell anything to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

o1s1n wrote: »
    A lot of people get this one wrong.

If they price something incorrectly you are not automatically entitled to it. A shop does not have to sell anything to you.

I understand that, i work in retail myself, we usually give it to customers for the incorrect price to keep them happy, was worth chancing my arm in the same circumstances.

• Advertisement

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    I understand that, i work in retail myself, we usually give it to customers for the incorrect price to keep them happy, was worth chancing my arm in the same circumstances.

I have to say that in circumstances like this, it's the customer I feel bad for. It's not their fault that the staff members messed up. I worked in retail for more than 10 years and I know I'd rather give the sale to the customer for that price and have them come back again and again, as opposed to losing a sale (and reputation). But it's par for the course for game stores (especially CEX and GAME) to cop an attitude about things that really don't dip into their wages. Some counter staff are horribly rude to the public.

Advertisement