Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What event shocked you most or hit you hardest? May contain spoilers, obviously

• 17-08-2010 5:12pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Was rewatching Season 4 last night, and rewatched
    Bubbles trying to hang himself in the interview room
    . I was reminded of the shock and sadness at first seeing this.

The other event that saddened me dreadfully was
    seeing Dukie injecting heroin in, I think, the last episode

What shocked or saddened you?

Mods - do we need spoiler tags in this one? I've put them in just in case on this post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I guess when Greggs was shot was the first time I felt a real sense of shock on the show.
    Bodie and Poot shooting Wallace should have been another time but I was spoiled for that so knew it was coming at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Both of the moments that really got me have already kinda been mentioned.
    Wallace getting shot was the first one that really gave me a lump in my throat.

I think Dookie is written specifically to get at you. From the moment you see him he is playing on his own and being mocked by the other kids. The more you find out about him the more you actually feel for him ( His parents selling his clothes, Prez having to bring him lunch) and you actually feel he might do ok when he takes on the housewife role in the family dynamic with Micheal and Bug. But I think the real moment that got to me with him was when he goes to the school and looks for money from Prez, you know he is not going to use it to go to school but you are really pulling for him and hoping that he is going to.

Another thing that shocked me was when looking through youtube before watching season 5 I seen a video on youtube entitled "McNultys Wake". Spent the whole fifth season wondering how he was going to die before settling on him going completely off the rails and staging a suicide to look like a victim of the Serial Killer , and a martyr to get police funding. Reading that now makes me realise how ridiculous and out of character with the rest of the show it would have been.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I was a bit unprepared for
    Marlo having the security guard who talked back to him killed.
    I guess I just underestimated the depths of his sociopathy, and thought that
    his earlier show of respect for Michael who had just stood up to him
    might indicate some sort of code that would prevent him from doing that, but obviously I was wrong.

Also, the torture-killing of
    Butchie
    . Not really a surprise, but really, really sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

TrueDub wrote: »
    Was rewatching Season 4 last night, and rewatched
    Bubbles trying to hang himself in the interview room
    . I was reminded of the shock and sadness at first seeing this.

The other event that saddened me dreadfully was
    seeing Dukie injecting heroin in, I think, the last episode

What shocked or saddened you?

Mods - do we need spoiler tags in this one? I've put them in just in case on this post.

I have to agree with you on the second because
    Dukie
    was one of the most tragic characters in the wire and seeing him do that solidified this.

Also in season 1 when
    Poot and Bodie shot Wallace

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Jay Ru

For me the Wallace thing was heart breaking, same with Dukie. The Butchie thing really got to me though. I was a huge fan of Chris and Snoop but after that i was really hoping Omar wud get some revenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

It's not my choice, but I'm amazed that nobody mentioned
    Stringer being killed
    in series 3. I would have imagined that that would have been the biggest shock to most fans.

The biggest shock I got was
    Kima getting shot
    in series one. Not as sad as
    Wallace being shot
    in the same series, but it did surprise the hell out of me.

Another big one from series 5, I really thought that
    Omar would survive
    . The sheer randomness of the way it happened was pretty disturbing but brilliant within the context of the show.

Another notable mention to
    Prez blinding that poor 14year old
    in series 1. That was before that character was established as a good and decent person, but it was still shocking to see a police officer do something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Gax

Had to be the way
    bodie and Poot were the ultimate killers of poor Wally.
    Jeepers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

The way Dookie turned out

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Another big one from series 5, I really thought that
    Omar would survive
    . The sheer randomness of the way it happened was pretty disturbing but brilliant within the context of the show.

+1 on
    Omar's demise. He lived a very precarious life and probably knew he wasn't going to die in his sleep but the way it happened was such a shock

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

There were shocking moments, most of which are mentioned above, but the thing that hit me hardest was - Season 5
    McNulty's regression back into a losing battle with his alcoholism and the terrible decision-making that came with it. My abiding memory of The Wire is that it is quite an angry show on the whole. I read that opinion somewhere before and I agree with it 100%. There's very little sense that, after everything, any progress is being made.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Two for me:
    Bubbles trying to hang himself
    and
    the way Omar was killed. It was a real WTF moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Finished rewatching the boxset about 2 weeks ago. Even though it's my favourite season, Season 4 is really hard to watch. Nearly every episode had something shocking or difficult to watch.
    Herc abandoning Bubbles when Bubbles was being attacked, Bubbles trying to hang himself, the girl slicing the other girls face in the classroom, Randy's house being set on fire and Carver trying to help him, Chris beating Bugs father, probably more that I've forgotten happened that season.

One of the most shocking however happened at the end of season 5, when
    Dukie asked Michael if he remembered what they did the previous summer. Michael just pauses and says he doesn't. A small enough moment, but really showed the type of person Michael had become. When he first appeared he was always a bit distant, but he just became so cold. I know the end montage showed him as the new Omar, but I still think he became more like Chris. Omar had a code, but I'd doubt Michael would have any problems doing the sort of things Chris did. Just a tragic ending for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

First season, spoiler:
    Poor Wallace getting shot, horrible to watch.

Fifth season, spoiler:
    Omar obviously and Prop Joe, thought he was a great character. But to watch Dukie sink further and further until that terrible last scene, that was tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,002 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I won't repeat what anyone else says, the one scene that kills me which has not been named is in the second last episode of season 2, the final scene where
    Frank goes to meet the Greeks, he is a broken man who knows this is his only chance to save his son (in his mind) but just as is their the Greek finds out about his "betrayal". Its heartbreaking watching Frank someone who we rooted for the whole series who has no idea how doomed he is marching to what we know will be a gruesome death.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭DonOcelot

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I won't repeat what anyone else says, the one scene that kills me which has not been named is in the second last episode of season 2, the final scene where
    Frank goes to meet the Greeks, he is a broken man who knows this is his only chance to save his son (in his mind) but just as is their the Greek finds out about his "betrayal". Its heartbreaking watching Frank someone who we rooted for the whole series who has no idea how doomed he is marching to what we know will be a gruesome death.:(

I was just gonna post this, very sad moment.

You guys covered most of them.
    Stringer Bells Death really got me, i just though "Man, no Bell anymore"

And as paddyirishman said:
    Dukie asked Michael if he remembered what they did the previous summer. Michael just pauses and says he doesn't.
    . That really got me.

Also
    Omars
    death, like people already said, it was such a shock, never seen it coming. Also the fact that it wasnt anyone significant who did it, or that he didnt go down in a big glorious shootout, it just added to the realism of the show.
    Bodies Death
    was very sad, he just got sick of it all and you could really see where he was coming from.

Theres tons really, the show can hit you on the deepest level. Thats why its simply the greatest show ever.

What really got me though was when
    McNulty
    reflected back on Baltimore/The Show at the every end of the series and you just know, thats it, the show is over. I was devastated then. Nothing comes close to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

All the ones that got to me most have already been mentioned. Wallace's death shocked me cos it was quite graphic, which I just wasn't expecting. And as they showed his lifeless body, eyes open, slung in the corner, I was just beggin for em to cut to a new scene.

And Dookie at the end, it just left me with my head in my hands...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Series 2
    Frank Sobotka walking blindly to his death in the final episode, really shocked me

Series 5
    This is probably an odd one but the death of Prop Joe shook me more than anything else for some reason. The betrayal at the hands of his nephew whom he's protected for years followed by the way Marlow tells him to close his eyes and breath easy. It's just so callous and final. It sums up the sheer brutality of the world of drug dealing in a way no other event did for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Series 5
    the way Marlow tells him to close his eyes and breath easy. It's just so callous and final.
    Yeah I found that really creepy and uncomfortable, pretty much every time they did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

One of the big moments that stood out for me was
    when Cheese was shot point blank at the meet up with the other heads. It made me jump it really came out of nowhere. He was hardly a likeable character to begin with, but I certainly wasn't expecting it to happen like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Bodies Death
    was very sad, he just got sick of it all and you could really see where he was coming from.

Yeah I agree just watched that scene again last night and felt sorry for him.I got the boxset couple weeks back and rewatched it from the start.Just finished season 4. Hope to start 5 later tonight.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

For me it's definitely when
    Butchie gets killed.
    You just keep hoping it's going to cut away but it goes on and on. Poor guy. Also,
    Frank Sopotka's death.
    Just awful. He was a brilliant character. Did all the wrong things for all the right reasons and ended up completely screwed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭johnnycnandy

Boadie's death for me. I think he's such a good character. Smart, loyal, hard working. As David Simon said, if Boadie had been born anywhere else, he could have been anything, done anything with his life. But because he was born in the ghettos of Baltimore, he had no chance at anything but getting caught up in the game. The scene of his death is really moving. He lived like a soldier and died like a soldier. Unwilling to back down or give up his corner to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 jollygreengiant

One of the most shocking moments for me was when
    Prez shot the cop.
    I thought then that he was going out of it which would have been a sad moment. it toke a while but started to like him as time went on and towards the end of season 3.
    But when he became a teacher i was happy to see him still in it.

Other shockers were
    wallace being killed, how dookie turned out, snoop being killed <huge shocker>, and omar being killed by the kid. really wasnt expecting that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Wasnt really "shocked" by too much but season 4
    Mr.Prezbos first day as a teacher ending up with a girl getting her face sliced open
    was pretty hard to stomach.

Really felt sorry for Randy & Bubbles as well in the end of that season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Surely the biggest shock of all was
    Lester Freamon ending up with a lap dancer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

When Bodie
    died... Read this on a youtube video of the chess scene...-- You know who died exactly like a Pawn. Bodie. He couldn't turn back and run, he had to stand his ground and fight, he even shoots at Chris and Snoop diagonally from where he's standing, not to mention both of them are attacking like Bishops, and finally O-Dog steps forward out of the doorway, then walks straight to him and kills him, like a Knight's L shape attack. And of course Marlo, the King, is nowhere to be seen, he stays out of the battles. A great callback to season 1's chess scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Theres a clip on youtube about several of the actors speaking about how their respective auditions went and what part they went for.

The actor who plays Jay Landsman had to compete with the real Jay Landsman for that part. Jay Landsman failed the audition to play himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I finished season 5 last night and I'm shocked at the fact that Marlo walked. The most depressing thing for me was when McNulty started doctoring crime scenes. I could just tell it would cause massive problems down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Actually one thing that really shocked me was something that didn't even happen to an established character on the show.

In season 3
    the shoot out between some of Marlo's crew and some of Avon's including Bodie. When you can see the events from the perspective of the mother living in the neighbourhood, and see her dawning realisation that her son got shot by a stray bullet. I find it really tough to watch someone suffer like that on TV.

That really brought home the human tragedy of the situation. I haven't watched the The Wire in about 6 months now but I still remember that scene very vividly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

orourkeda wrote: »
    Theres a clip on youtube about several of the actors speaking about how their respective auditions went and what part they went for.

The actor who plays Jay Landsman had to compete with the real Jay Landsman for that part. Jay Landsman failed the audition to play himself.

He ended up playing a smaller part - another of the dectectives, Ray Something.

Advertisement