Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things I've noticed/ Needed explaining/ Need explaining

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Why do people guarding stash houses not have guns when Omar arrives? There is one time in Season 1 Omar just walks up with a shotgun to a Barksdale stash house, tells them to drop the stash and they just do it. They could have easily just stuck a gun out the window and shot him. In Season 5, episode 8, after he gets police to arrest two of the guys protecting the corner, he simply walks up to a stash house, tells them to hand the stash out the door; they do so. They could have easily just stuck a gun out the door instead and shot him. Another time he walks up to a crew while limping, shoots one of them in the legs and the rest run away. If this is anyone else they would stand their ground and shoot him, but when it's Omar they just run away. Omar just seems too invincible sometimes in the show. Is it just because of his reputation? That everyone is scared of him more than anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Maybe sentencing?

Wiki tells me if you're found with a concealed weapon in the drug trade it's a mandatory five years for a first offence

First time drug offence you might get away with probation

Maybe they are worried the soliders would flip and tell all if they were ever raided and caught and facing mandatory sentances?

Just a theory

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

As Omar says in series one - "You come at the King, you best not miss".

I think it's simply that Omar had built up such a reputation because of his deeds and the fact that most who had gone up against him came off second best that he simply scared them sh*tless.
    There was the time he went to the shop in his jammies to get Honey Nut and some hoppers gave up their stash at the sight of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,487 ✭✭✭✭briany

DeepBlue wrote: »
    As Omar says in series one - "You come at the King, you best not miss".

I think it's simply that Omar had built up such a reputation because of his deeds and the fact that most who had gone up against him came off second best that he simply scared them sh*tless.
    There was the time he went to the shop in his jammies to get Honey Nut and some hoppers gave up their stash at the sight of him.
    Omar's funeral eulogy : "He looooved him some Honey Nut, he looooooved robbin' drug dealers (cut to Prop Joe looking vaguely annoyed) and he looooved gay sex."

Omar's granny : "He worked at the airport!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I asked the same question about Omar, I think it stretches credulity TBH. But it
    kept him alive for longer
    so I don't really mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Season 4:
    Just watching the episode where Chris kills Michael/Bug's dad. What's with Chris going so crazy over it and beating him to death? Is there an implication there that Chris had been raped before? Either that or it's just that he really doesn't like child molesters; but Snoop presumably doesn't like them either, yet she manages to keep her cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Squarewave

Dave! wrote: »
    Season 4:
    Just watching the episode where Chris kills Michael/Bug's dad. What's with Chris going so crazy over it and beating him to death? Is there an implication there that Chris had been raped before? Either that or it's just that he really doesn't like child molesters; but Snoop presumably doesn't like them either, yet she manages to keep her cool.

It's implied, although never revealed outright.
    Michael never actually says he was abused but Chris seems to understand immediately why he wants Bug's dad dead - Snoop doesn't pick up on it at all and is surprised when Chris kills him so violently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Season 4:
    Presumably Chris's sociopathic tendencies can be attributed to some sort of neglect in his past which may have been abuse as a child. On the otherhand he may have been born sociopathic but that seen seems to reveal that he had a personal grudge against child molesters. He lost his cool, something which doesn't happen again when hes on a "job".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

Penn wrote: »
    From Wikipedia:
    Koutris is an agent in the FBI's counter-terrorism unit who feeds information on the bureau’s activity to The Greek. He is responsible for telling the Greek about an investigation by Baltimore police and the local FBI, and gives The Greek warning enough to temporarily shut down his smuggling operation. He is rewarded with information on a large shipment of drugs that he seizes on the FBI’s behalf. Koutris is also responsible for telling The Greek that his contact in the Baltimore port, Frank Sobotka, has agreed to give evidence against him. This information leads to Sobotka’s death. FBI Agent Fitzhugh realizes Koutris is a leak, but is unable to do anything because Koutris is well-regarded because of the drug arrest. It is implied (and has subsequently been confirmed by creator David Simon) that Koutris is protecting The Greek as a confidential informant for information about potential acts of terrorism; rather than being "corrupt" per se, Koutris is actually following standard FBI policy.
    sorry I know it's an old post but just to confirm this, in an earlier episode Vondas and Eton are talking about the Colombians, 'They take our chemicals and they do not pay. They are thinking that this is all profit for us.' Eton says the Greek will be angry and Vondas says 'The Greek? He will be smart.' Next thing you know, the Colombians crack/coke shipment is busted... took me watching it three of four times to cop that. Tricksy producers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Just wondering if anyone knows....
    Are Randy and Cheese related?...when his real name is up on the case board he has the same surname as Randy but I don't remember anything being mentioned about any connection.

Yes. They are father and son

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Ahh but who could resist Daniels' infective personality, his warm sense of humour, his disarming charm, and his ...... deceptively well-defined abs...??? If wanting to shag Daniels makes you gay, then gay me up! :D
    Reckon the cameraman might have fancied him too such was the amount of topless shots of him!
    Just wondering if anyone knows....
    Are Randy and Cheese related?...when his real name is up on the case board he has the same surname as Randy but I don't remember anything being mentioned about any connection.

It has been confirmed by Simon and with his wheeling-dealing nature it really fits that he's related to Prop Joe.
    mloc wrote: »
    I can't remember if they highlighted this elsewhere, but if they didn't it's even cooler because it's so subtle.
    I like the way Omar, after robbing the co-ops drug shipment asks for 20 on the dollar from Prop Joe. Prop Joe then says 30 on the dollar to Marlow, clearly seeing an opportunity to make cash himself.

Yeah, cheeky Joe. Guy didn't get to the top of the Baltimore drug trade by being 100% honest. It's exactly the sort of "stroke" I'd imagine Randy pulling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Who did Kima's ex partner have the kid with?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

kima..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭batistuta9

kima..

Kima hardy has a dick :pac:

I don't think the sperm donor is known

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

IVF wasnt it, they were talking about the cost involved at 10 grand a time or something in one episode.

Two things I noticed yesterday.

I'm on my 3rd watch now, so I'm at the stage where small details are sticking out.

One intentional. One unintentional.

The unintentional doesn't need a screenshot.
    When they set up Stinkum with the stash in his car, the young guy bails and they arrest him.
    For some reason they decide to bring the teenager to the basement they are working out of. And they leave out the big board with all of Barksdales crew. Since the kid is affiliated, letting him see their entire set up would compromise the operation.
    Don't think they intended to leave the operation board in the scene(if ye had to bring him there you'd remove the board with the pictures and links) but you can see it behind him a few times.

The intentional.
    In that same episode McNulty is at his desk using the typewriter, though the writing isn't clear, you can tell there's a copy of the Proclamation of the Republic on the wall.
    It's blurry-maybe a HD version makes it easier to see- but if you're familiar with the lay out of the document, it's recognisable.
    Great attention to detail considering it's never used as a prop.

Capture.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭chicken foot

Also noticed in season 5, episode 7 when the reporter is chatting to bubbles in the soup kitchen you can see a picture of the Hunger Strikers on the wall behind bubbles head - amazing attention to detail, a lot of irish imagery used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭ Madilynn Weak Poppycock

In season one, when they take they take the dnr's off the payphones - what exactly are they looking at?

Because they make a point of saying how all the numbers dialled are jibberish and all the numbers received on some pagers are jibberish. Then they figure out that the drug dealers are using a code that Prez figures out...

Here's my problem - Lester finds D'Angelo's number written on the wall - why isn't it written in code?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

The foreshadowing for Bodie at 2:10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

In season one, when they take they take the dnr's off the payphones - what exactly are they looking at?

Because they make a point of saying how all the numbers dialled are jibberish and all the numbers received on some pagers are jibberish. Then they figure out that the drug dealers are using a code that Prez figures out...

Here's my problem - Lester finds D'Angelo's number written on the wall - why isn't it written in code?

I would say that that was just indiscipline by the guys in the stash house. They probably wouldve thought that if it gets raided by omar or police then the 4/5 g-packs they had was bad enough so what difference does it make if there is a mid level dealers number written on the wall.

For all of the genius behind the avon, prop joe and marlo's methods there are always a couple of morons with them who arent careful. Gerrard and sapper(avon),Cheese and drax(the one they didnt promote) for joe and kenard, bernard and little kevin for marlo.

At the end the day if all of their soldiers were as careful as themselves, narcotics wouldnt have been able to get close to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

does Herc cross over to the darkside at the end? he helps his cop friends but then rats them out to his new boss. will he throw them the odd bone in the future or is he now just another corrupt player in the Game?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

does Herc cross over to the darkside at the end? he helps his cop friends but then rats them out to his new boss. will he throw them the odd bone in the future or is he now just another corrupt player in the Game?

Herc is too stupid to know either way. He wouldn't even see it as ratting them out because he lacks the intellect for even that as he would see it as him just doing his job as a private investigator.
    Levy is the man behind it all pulling the stringers and collecting the dough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

From season 5.
    I've never understood why Nick Sobotka stayed at the docks and didn't go into witness protection? And why do Vondas and The Greek return when they are known to police? And why do they not have Nick killed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

YayaBanana wrote: »
    From season 5.
    I've never understood why Nick Sobotka stayed at the docks and didn't go into witness protection? And why do Vondas and The Greek return when they are known to police? And why do they not have Nick killed?

probably wanted to man it out,

the Greek returned after the heat died down, he's a business man and went back to business. higher powers were aware of his activities but the oridinary cops wouldnt be privy to that information and would go after him. I think he might also have been some kind of high level informer re: terrorist activites

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭newbie11

Kima and Cheryl had the kid together, when the kid arrived Kima got bored and moved on. Later she came back but found out Cheryl was with someone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

The stay at home life, being a mom thing, wasnt for her at that point in time.

I call it her "McNulty stage"

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mailliw_11

YayaBanana wrote: »
    From season 5.
    during the finale of season 2 it shows nick looking in on the docks, think it might be part of the montage at the end, a car drives past nick and i really though he was going to be shot by them. nice to include him in season 5, for old times sake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

He's also part of the group that shout abuse at Carcetti at the opening of an apartment block (or something similar, you can see the fat developer guy with him - Andy Crawcheck? [or similar, it's been a while since I last watched it]) on the waterfront which Frank Sobotka was trying to save in Season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Thidp

/watch?v=hDfoWLcGfqo (New user, can't post links. Just put "youtube.com" before)

Anyone else noticed that watching for the first time?

This show is incredible.