Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Prime Directive Violation?

Options
  • 13-06-2003 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

Did it ever bother anyone that the whole series of star trek voyager seemed to be based on a violation of the prime directive? it looks like a case of interference with the evolution of a culture by blowing up the array above the planet to stop the kazon getting it and stopping them from getting home, however one could argue that the natural evolution of the ocampans (sp?) had stopped due to the accident the care-taker had with the planet resulting in the need for the array in the first place? opinions people? violation or not or did the ends justify the means with section 31 type reasoning?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    Did it ever bother anyone that the whole series of star trek voyager seemed to be based on a violation of the prime directive? it looks like a case of interference with the evolution of a culture by blowing up the array above the planet to stop the kazon getting it and stopping them from getting home, however one could argue that the natural evolution of the ocampans (sp?) had stopped due to the accident the care-taker had with the planet resulting in the need for the array in the first place? opinions people? violation or not or did the ends justify the means with section 31 type reasoning?

Nope, never bothered me at all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

it bothered me that janway got promoted for basicly pissing on as many alien speices she could find............ i totaly agree with dataisgod voyager broke all the major rules of starfleet AND more than likely destroyed Starfleets rep throughout the delta quad

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

By destroying the array they actually returned the natural evolution of the planet back to normal (sorta) but thats not really the point.

They Care taker was going to blow up the array but due to the Voyager crews interference the self destruct was damaged. Which would allow the Kazon to take control of the array and fuk the ocampans over, so voyager being federation goodie-goodie types, decided to step in.

if it was my crew and my ship i would have used the array to get home and to hell with the ocampans.After all they only would have to put up with slavery for 7 year,s then they keel over lol :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Me?

I would have used the array to call in some back up from the alpha quadrant, gain control of the array. Take it apart learn how it works and start using it like the borg use the trans-warp conduits.

Oh, and use the ocampans for slaves cause they only live for 7 years :P

• Advertisement

as long as we all agree on slaver for the ocampans im happy to go along with your plan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i disagree that destroying the array returns them to there natural evolution as they didn't naturally live underground, they are god damn goodie goodies but they could have used a more i don't know legal premise for a whole seven year bloody series.

we got to see seven of nine for 5 years so i was happy :D

BUT i wonder really though what starfleet could do with the tech of that array if voyager had beaten that Carrier class kazion ship and used it to bring some ships to the delta quad so they could "research" the array and use the tech

hmm those carrier class ships the big ass kazon ship also called the torpedo is it due to its pointed front?

nope ............. the carrier class is the massive one

and the torp class one is a small fighter class with a reinforced front end so they could break through the hull of voyager seeming the kazion dont have transporter,s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

i must agree there janeway going around recking everyones head destroying worlds making enemys ................ but i do like vogager

i think i was thinking of the correct ship but had the class wrong i remember those massive kazon ships alright those where the ones i was thinking of and the ones you where talking bout i presume bizmark

aye i checked the www.ditl.com site and the HUGE kazon ship is class the "predator" class

60 million ton :eek: what a **** ship for the weight lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Janeway always manged to find a way to break the Prime Directive in almost every episode (although gave up watching the excuse for Star Trek that is Voyager in the 5th series - so I don't know what mischief she got up to after that - apart the big Prime Direcetive violation in that last ever episode).

And then they promote her - madness!!!

:ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

i wonder why she was never stopped by the "time police" can't remeber what they're called, but the ones who tried to destroy voyager for destroying the 24th centuary, and then captin braxton for trying to destroy voyager. where were they then when Janeway messed up then?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Remember the Ep Where voyager finds the ther Federation ship? The captain asks how many times she broke the prime directive.. she looks innocent and sayd "Broke it? Never.. crossed the line or bent it a few times!" Or something along those lines.. made me smile.. Still i loved Voyager!!

well at lest she isnt Tory that damn woman any time she got control of the enterprise she destroy,s it lol :D

Originally posted by bizmark
    60 million ton :eek: what a **** ship for the weight lol

funny coz its true :)

i mean come on if i built a 60 million ton ship id make sure it could beat a ship less than 1/60th of its weight

i don't get the obession with weight and size, i think theres a practical limit to how big a starship needs to be or how good a warship it can be after which making it bigger gives not advantage at all, there are numerous examples of size just not really mattering

• Advertisement

well more weight and volume = more gun,s or more cargo space

but less maneourability and more powerful engines required, i suppose it is a balance for the ship is required for in the end.

true :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

but less maneourability and more powerful engines required, i suppose it is a balance for the ship is required for in the end.
    It may be 60 million tons on earth but in space it's weightless.

mass != weight

also true :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

As Mr Kippling (he wot don't sell apple flavoured sugar) put it "different countries, different customs"

Spaceship with a battering ram - seem to remember something about physics about snoker balls bouncing - oh yeah momentum I think they called it .. you'd get some whiplash - if you wern't a smear of jelly on the bulkhead...

As to limits of weight / size / power - well a long time ago in a far away galaxy they had bigger ships (and didn't pay lip service to the prime directive)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

well if voyager had of used the caretaker to return home they would of violated certain starfleet protocol by allowing the ocompans to be destroyed.she manged to uphold the prime directive by not sharing replication technology with the kazon-which sadly brought the wrath of the kazon upon them. For a captain stranded 10s of thousands of light years from the federation she upheld federation principles quite well i think. look at captain randsom he massacred thousands of inncoent aliens to power his warp drive.She also refused to compromise her principles for the sake of survival when the voyager was trapped inside a void in season 7.

allowing somebody to be destroyed is not against starfleet protocol as far as i'm concerned, if voyager wasn't transported the kazon may have got the occampans anyway, voyager should have been sent home instead of getting all high and mighty, but then they wouldn't have had a show would they? i just think they could have started it on a better premise not with interference.

Voyager interfered with the natural course of the kazon and those people that live for 7 years (How the fuge did they develope technology anyway if they only live 7 years not a nuff time for primary school)

The kazon are the better race (mility wise) and once the caretaker died they would of taken over which is normal Voyager came along and broke Starfleets rules by stoping that

• Advertisement

extactly and then they launch a seven year series with her struggling to uphold federation principles which people seem to blatantly forget she has already shattered

Advertisement