Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bio-diversity

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

TV producers hire people with science degrees to edit the scripts

You'd never think it!

As for science books, I've nothing against them, they're definitely better for reading than trashy best sellers and they encourage ppl to be curious about the universe but, being a bit of a geek myself, I often find they leave me hanging on for more info!

They're good entertainment but then I usually get textbooks or notes off the net for more thorough explanations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

I agree with simu, popular science books can be a good read but can leave a lot to be desired, as regards to degree kelvin loads of people make that mistake, including myself i presume at times and even when writing still put a degree sign with the K at the end of the day it is a convention and if some one feels more comfortable saying degree that is fine. Its like sulfur IUPAC says it should be spelt sulfur not sulphur but loads of people i'm sure still spell it sulphur, or phosphines are now officially phosphanes IIRC no big deal whats more important i think is that you understand what the person means by what they are saying/writing

Anywho with regards to star trek Andre Bormanis is the dude they call to make the 'future science' plausible and comprehensible as possible (i quote from the back of his book, Star Trek Science Logs), he holds degrees in physics and space policy and has conducted research and policy analysis for NASA. I think you can see his name in the credits of enterprise and i think he may do more then what i mentioned there above if you look at his title in the credits.

Advertisement