Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Deal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Any news on new deals? I got something in the door from Sky offering €49 for 12 months, which is fairly tempting, compared to UPCs €45 for BB and calls only, no TV. Will they have some decent offer to mark the switchover to
    the Virgin Media brandname? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=96788078

If I do switch away from UPC, will they bother coming out to physically cut off the old analogue signal, or is that going to be still available?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭DopeTech

RainyDay wrote: »
    If I do switch away from UPC, will they bother coming out to physically cut off the old analogue signal, or is that going to be still available?

No they don't bother disconnecting people usually so you'll still have the analogue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Any news on new deals? I got something in the door from Sky offering €49 for 12 months, ...

What are the details on that?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

FrostyJim wrote: »
    No they don't bother disconnecting people usually so you'll still have the analogue.

Not true, while they don't immediately send someone out, they normally do disconnect people after a while.

beauf wrote: »
    What are the details on that?

Here ya go;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

It all depends on the sales agent that you speak to and the original deal in this thread.
    Best to call UPC customer loyalty and speak to one of the staff there.If you dont get anywhere,then hand up and ring back 15 minutes later.

Here ya go;

Tks. Found it one their website.

http://www.sky.com/ireland/broadband-talk/fibre-plus-tv/

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

Looks like a good deal
    - only thing to note is that it is the original bundle and not the variety bundle.

So you do get channels over and above the free ones and the functionality of sky+/live pause /record/ sky go etc you dont get
    - the music channels
    - the kids channels
    - the documentaries.

The variety is normally €29 and the variety €38
    and - depending on the viewing preferences in the household - I reckon the €29 package is a poor offering.

OR HD I assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

OR HD I assume?

No, HD is extra as well!!!

(Well you get rte 2, bbc 1 and 2 and maybe a few others, but ya the HD package is extra as well)

• Advertisement

First vaguely Competitive offer from Sky vs UPC. Its still a bit off UPCs bang for buck. It's an option if you want to leave UPC to come back as a new customer.

Though it could be argued the horizon box is a negative. Personally I find a lot of discovery and history channels original content is very poor quality. If you can find any among all the repeats and filler.

So comparing offers isn't that straight forward.

First vaguely Competitive offer from Sky vs UPC. Its still a bit off UPCs bang for buck. It's an option if you want to leave UPC to come back as a new customer.
    UPC have dropped their 'new customer' offer now, so it looks to me like Sky is considerably better value than UPC are offering me.

UPC have dropped their 'new customer' offer now, so it looks to me like Sky is considerably better value than UPC are offering me.

I don't really know what you are comparing.

I don't really know what you are comparing.

I'm comparing the €80-odd quid a month UPC are charging me now for TV/Phone/BB with Sky's €49 for BB & TV.

They aren't exactly the same though.

UPC are giving you a lot more HD channels. I think its another 15 or more on Sky for less HD channels.
    UPC BB should be faster, and have less contention issues. You may or not need this.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm comparing the €80-odd quid a month UPC are charging me now for TV/Phone/BB with Sky's €49 for BB & TV.

If you call UPC and threaten to leave for Sky, you will almost always get a much better deal from UPC. Always worth shopping around and then calling them after your contract is up.

Also double check what speed your line would actually get. Unlike UPC who almost always deliver 240Mb/s, Sky use Eircoms VDSL, which is "up to" 100Mb/s by pay only give you as little as 7Mb/s depending on the length of your line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭kooga

sky original is €15 per month for 12 months via the car phone warehouse

original movies and sport €38 pm for 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

bk wrote: »
    If you call UPC and threaten to leave for Sky, ... Always worth shopping around and then calling them after your contract is up.

Yes as UPC keep increasing the price every year - you start a new 1-year contract when that price takes effect.

So, I'm never out of contract :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Yes as UPC keep increasing the price every year - you start a new 1-year contract when that price takes effect.

You've a 30 day cooling off period after each contract change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭BandMember

Not true, while they don't immediately send someone out, they normally do disconnect people after a while.

Yeah, you gradually lose the analogue signal and it should disappear altogether after a couple of months....

• Advertisement

Not true at all!!!

A change in price doesn't extend your contract at all!! In fact it breaks your contract if you are still in the initial 12 month period and you can change providers or threaten to do so to get a lower price.

If they change the price after your 12 month contract, then it doesn't extend your contract at all, you are free to leave or threaten to do so at any time.

Pretty much every company does this (ISP's, Sky, Electric Companies, Insurance companies, etc.), you have to actively watch and manage your account to get the best value for money. And UPC definitely have the best value for money broadband in Ireland.
    BandMember wrote: »
    Yeah, you gradually lose the analogue signal and it should disappear altogether after a couple of months....

Not true either!

It will continue to work as long as you remain connected at the external tap. You only lose service when they disconnect you from the external tap. There is no gradual fade!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭BandMember

Not true either!

It will continue to work as long as you remain connected at the external tap. You only lose service when they disconnect you from the external tap. There is no gradual fade!!

Well, our signal went from being watchable to just being a faded haze to disappearing completely over the space of two months of cancelling our UPC TV/Broadband package. So, I'm guessing that they disconnected us externally then?

BandMember wrote: »
    Well, our signal went from being watchable to just being a faded haze to disappearing completely over the space of two months of cancelling our UPC TV/Broadband package. So, I'm guessing that they disconnected us externally then?

Yup, sounds like they have disconnected you externally.

Not true either!

That's my question really - do they routinely send someone out to disconnect the analogue?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭bromley52

That's my question really - do they routinely send someone out to disconnect the analogue?

They last time I left them they did and they put an imposible to remove cap on it, imposible without the correct tool that is.

I had my upc point moved from one room to another. Which highlighted a signal degradation issue So I called upc to fix it.

The contractor who came out cut the connector off the end of the cable I wasn't using, which I didn't notice till a few weeks later. Which I thought was very annoying. That is my cable not theirs. Its not a big job to fix it but you shouldn't have to double check this kinda stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I had my upc point moved from one room to another. Which highlighted a signal degradation issue So I called upc to fix it.

The contractor who came out cut the connector off the end of the cable I wasn't using, which I didn't notice till a few weeks later. Which I thought was very annoying. That is my cable not theirs. Its not a big job to fix it but you shouldn't have to double check this kinda stuff.

UPC are feckers for doing this. The other thing I have always seen them do without fail is if you have a lead in from a satellite dish , they will snip the connector off that cable so you can't get the FTA stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭jay0109

Any Sky Sports offers for existing customers?

Emailed them 2 weeks ago and not a word back. Usually have something for the start of the new season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭kooga

jay0109 wrote: »
    Any Sky Sports offers for existing customers?

Emailed them 2 weeks ago and not a word back. Usually have something for the start of the new season
    you'd be bettter of ringing them, are you out of contract

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

lensman wrote: »
    We need to clear up a a few things when talking about broadband providers & what they offer, UPC offer speeds up to 240Mb in their 240Mb package which translates to approximately 30MB, Mb=megabit & MB=megabyte, I have their 240Mb BB & the maximum D/L speed I get is 3.5MB which is about 1/10th of the advertised speed.

I connected a Cisco router and I have better speeds on 5ghz network than 2.4ghz.
    Usually I download from torrents with 20-24mb/s on wireless. (I'm on the 240mb contract as well)
    With the regular upc router I was downloading with around 10mb wireless / 20-24mb/s lan.

Advertisement