Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Just finished watching the boxset

Options
  • 21-03-2012 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭

Watched series 1-5 in 3 weeks, not bad going !

Loved it, but I must say was quite disapointed with Series 5, bar maybe the last 2 episodes. The whole
    "seriel killer" plot was pretty poor I thought.
    Anyone else feel the same?

Still overall, excellent show :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

rarnes1 wrote: »

Loved it, but I must say was quite disapointed with Series 5, bar maybe the last 2 episodes. The whole

Yeah, for a show with such a realistic feel to it, the
    serial killer
    thing was a bit OTT. I think Season 5 was the worst season, but each time I watch it I like it a little bit more. Maybe just because I think Gus is one of the most underrated characters on the show.

I think Season 5 mostly suffered from being the season after Season 4, which was just incredible and set one hell of a standard to meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Just finished series 5 and i agree.....the paper storylines left me cold and i also concur re the spoiler above . Overall it is excellent tv even the Mrs got in on it in season 2 and followed it all tru. Oar probably best character for me but overall brilliant stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Just finished watching all 5 also. Season 3 is my favourite...whole storyline and the ending in the last episodes was amazing!

I liked Season 5...
    admittedly more unrealistic than others and I didn't like the serial killer storyline at first, but as it went on it drew me in, and had a brilliant ending to the whole show!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I seem to have the opposite opinion to most people on this, I thought season 5 was just fine, but season 4 a bit dragged out. Definitely one of the best series I've seen for fairly consistent quality though, very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

just finished a rewatch myself, they kept saying in the audio commentaries that because they only had 10 episodes in the last season as opposed to 13, they couldn't develope the characters as carefully as they wanted too. it shows the guy starts making stuff up very quickly. but the serial killer thing, it has to be a big lie, otherwise they wouldn't have tried to cover it all up at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭talkingpj

Wud love a 6th series 10 years on or something best show ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭misterdarkness

rarnes1 wrote: »

disagree about season 5 i thought that was one of the best and for someone who works in the police i can see stuff like this happening lol not saying it does but the guards have characters like this.

but as police i can honestly say this is the most true real to life police show you will ever see

• Site Banned Posts: 152 ✭✭CUPimus

I need a new show to get into, whats the wire about? Is it any good?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

CUPimus wrote: »
    I need a new show to get into, whats the wire about? Is it any good?

On the surface it's about police in Baltimore, Maryland. It's actually about screwed-up institutions in that city.

It's an amazing series, but it's slow, and complicated, and many people find it's difficult to get into. It's well worth the effort though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Honest to god, have people forgotten how to use the internet?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wire

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah i know when I'm wondering if I oughta watch a show or not I go straight to wikipedia to have it completely spoiled on me in 5 minutes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I think the plot of S5 was meant to be OTT. I think it shoes how detached from reality McNulty had gotten to finally put the case to bed. It was an act of pure desperation that just snow balled completely out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Just finished series 5 and i agree.....the paper storylines left me cold and i also concur re the spoiler above . Overall it is excellent tv even the Mrs got in on it in season 2 and followed it all tru. Oar probably best character for me but overall brilliant stuff

I think you cant look at the serial killer thing in isolation.....it wasnt there to make a point about serial killers, it was there to make a point about newspapers. About how newspapers are more interested in headlines that news, and how in turn that can affect policy.

As such, I think it was important for the script, but was just a bit laboured and silly and far fetched in itself.

godtabh wrote: »
    I think the plot of S5 was meant to be OTT. I think it shoes how detached from reality McNulty had gotten to finally put the case to bed. It was an act of pure desperation that just snow balled completely out of control.

No I wouldnt agree, I think it was just there to facilitate the newspaper story, as mentioned above.

One point about series 5......I thought the Chris character was a bit too likeable for a hitman who killed about 40 people.....didnt add up.

Snoop was a bit more believable.

Penn wrote: »
    I think Season 5 mostly suffered from being the season after Season 4, which was just incredible and set one hell of a standard to meet.

When I look back, I would say the "you've got my back" moment in Season 4 was the high point of the entire 5 series of it.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    When I look back, I would say the "you've got my back" moment in Season 4 was the high point of the entire 5 series of it.......

It really is a chilling scene. So very true to life also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Just finished watching the box set for the first time last night.
    Damn. The next time I watch it, it won't for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

gaius c wrote: »

Have you seen "The Shield"?. Its brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Will23

gaius c wrote: »

It's an awful feeling alright, but when you watch it the second time you'll pick up on lots of stuff you missed the first time round! Leave it 6months maybe, it's still worth it second time out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Will23 wrote: »
    It's an awful feeling alright, but when you watch it the second time you'll pick up on lots of stuff you missed the first time round! Leave it 6months maybe, it's still worth it second time out!

Ah we've lots to catch up on in the meantime and GoT will be along in a few months too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Finished watching this at the weekend. Great show and I think it will need a rewatch due to the amount of stuff I missed.

Advertisement