Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost Channels on sky

• 17-12-2014 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hoping someone on here can help. I recently had some work carried out on my house which required my dish to be taken down and then put back up. Since it went back up, my signal strength has dropped a little (from almost full to about 3/4). No issue with majority of channels and signal is fine. However I have noticed that some channels are getting no signal at all. Channels such as 3e and Universal (thankfully not channels I would watch often), I would like to get these channels back and was set to just ring sky but did a bit of googling on it and some were saying that the lnb can be easily damaged so I'm thinking this may be the case. I see on adverts that lnb's are available quite cheap so was thinking maybe it's worth a try.

So my question is, would it be easy to replace the lnb myself? Is it likely to fix my problem or could I end up making it worse, would I be better to just bite the bullet and pay sky to fix it? Is there anyway of checking if it's this or an alignment issue? Not overly concerned with trying to replace the lnb and it not working, I accept I'd be taking a chance but my fear is whether I could make it worse, don't want to be without normal signal for Xmas and can happily live without the missing channels in the short term. Any advice welcome. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭lertsnim

My guess is the dish is not alligned correctly. You should check that before what could be an unnecessary purchase of a new lnb. Move the dish the bare minimum (mm's) in one direction and if you find the signal is getting better on 3e and Universal then happy days. If it gets worse move it the opposite direction until you get the best possible signal. The elevation might need to be checked too.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rahenyrover

lertsnim wrote: »
    My guess is the dish is not alligned correctly. You should check that before what could be an unnecessary purchase of a new lnb. Move the dish the bare minimum (mm's) in one direction and if you find the signal is getting better on 3e and Universal then happy days. If it gets worse move it the opposite direction until you get the best possible signal. The elevation might need to be checked too.

Thanks for that, will give that a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rahenyrover

Lertsnim I just wanted to say thanks again, went up to the dish this morning and your tip worked, a couple of mm and all channels back again with signal strength almost full now. Thanks, you have saved me a few quid from getting sky out cos changing the lnb clearly wouldn't have fixed my problem. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Glad to hear it's sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Just on that guys,i have the same problem,why is it just the + channels it affects?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Some channels on the weaker transponders can give bother if the dish is anyway misaligned.

Advertisement