Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post Sky HD Installation problem

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

swoofer wrote: »
    You need to check if aerial lead is still in situ as sky hd needs 2 feeds and your installer may have used the aerial lead! It does happen.

Cable going to the LNB-ins looks like the thin version of twin 'shotgun' type, so I'd doubt the aerial cable was hijacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Hi

Spent an hour or so today trying to spot any bad set up or missing wires/wrongly connected wires, but no success ( I am not expert at all but done my best )
    Hi Swoofer : No white box installed at back of tv.

The installer did not take the old sky box, it had been disconnected a while back so he didn't lay eyes on it to take it, that's if he wanted it.

I rang sky today on the off chance to air my views and they were ok about it, the person on the phone said I had called back within the 30 day installation guarantee and they would send an engineer/installer out within the next 10 days to see if they can help/rectify some problems.
    Lets hope they can put some light on the situation.
    I hope to be there when the sky person calls, so my elderly parents are not bamboozled.
    I have no problem shelling out a few extra quid if I need connectors to give them sky in the kitchen, but I hope the sky man can help tidy up/fix the initial error.

Thanks again to you all for your help, any more help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

For clarity, where does the aerial cable enter the house and on which TVs can you see the Saorview channels?

andrew1977 wrote: »
    The installer did not take the old sky box, it had been disconnected a while back so he didn't lay eyes on it ...

He would have had no reason to touch any aerial cables if that's the case. Who disconnected & removed the old Sky box?

Also, just in case you didn't realise, the 'white box' is the masthead amplifier power supply I mentioned in an earlier post. It will be located somewhere along the aerial downlead, & could take the form of a distribution amplifier with line power on the aerial input, if the aerial installation is specced for more than 1 or 2 TVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

From reading this I am wondering if it something as simple as the masthead amplifier may have been unplugged from the mains. Would certainly explain the loss of all low power terrestrial muxes and one of the sourviews, the other may be just strong enough to be received with the amp unpowered.

Hi

Spent an hour or so today trying to spot any bad set up or missing wires/wrongly connected wires, but no success ( I am not expert at all but done my best )
    Hi Swoofer : No white box installed at back of tv.

The installer did not take the old sky box, it had been disconnected a while back so he didn't lay eyes on it to take it, that's if he wanted it.

I rang sky today on the off chance to air my views and they were ok about it, the person on the phone said I had called back within the 30 day installation guarantee and they would send an engineer/installer out within the next 10 days to see if they can help/rectify some problems.
    Lets hope they can put some light on the situation.
    I hope to be there when the sky person calls, so my elderly parents are not bamboozled.
    I have no problem shelling out a few extra quid if I need connectors to give them sky in the kitchen, but I hope the sky man can help tidy up/fix the initial error.

Thanks again to you all for your help, any more help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

To sort the problem with the sourview and freeview channels you need to trace the aerial lead from where it enters the house.

You should have 3 cables entering the house, the 2 for the satellite which are connected to the sky box, the other one is from the aerial, find where this enters the house.
    This should connect to a small box which will have a second cable attached as well as a power cable.
    Make sure the power cable is plugged into the mains.
    Then trace the cable exiting the box.
    As you have multiple tvs in different rooms it will connect to a splitter.
    This may or may not be powered, make sure it is also plugged in if it has a power cable.
    One of the cables from the splitter is for your main TV, It should connect to the "aerial in" socket on the back of your TV.

These installations are often routed through attics with all the splitters and amplifiers placed there, if that is the case and the installer definitely did not go into the attic then the problem is likey not with that, if it easily accessible it is worth a quick check anyway.

If all this is in place then the problem is not inside the house, the installer may have disconnected or damaged part of the aerial installation on the roof.

Your second issue, having the sky box watchable in other rooms requires the output of the sky box to be fed into the aerial feed for the other rooms.

As you say this was operational with the original sky box before the new installation then the correct cabling should be there, although what exactly the installer did to it is anyone's guess. Seeing as you already had a functional sky installation I am at a loss as to why he would put a new dish on the roof. At the most it would have needed a new LNB and a second satellite cable feed for a sky+ in place of a standard sky box with no need to alter the rest of the cabling.

Looking at the picture you posted there is no way that box can feed more than one TV at present.
    The older sky boxes had the necessary equipment to do this by routing the aerial feed through the box, your one does not.
    To sort this a seperate box needs to be used to take the sky box feed and turn it into a tv signal that can be sent down the aerial cable to the other rooms, the installer should have noticed that a feed for extra rooms was in use and provided the link box or at least told you about the need for one.

Edit: You said the old sky box had been removed before the installer came. Why was it removed and by who?
    What was done with the cables attached to the old sky box box at that point? If they had been removed or altered then it is possible the installer did not realise that a feed for other rooms was required.

More questions than answers with this I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

Vic_08 wrote: »
    I am at a loss as to why he would put a new dish on the roof. At the most it would have needed a new LNB and a second satellite cable feed for a sky+ in place of a standard sky box with no need to alter the rest of the cabling.

The dish & cables are included in the installation cost & guarantee? The old one was probably a bit 'tired' anyway. I don't know why he'd go onto the roof though, unless there was a specific need or request, or maybe the original dish was already up there.

Thurston? wrote: »
    He would have had no reason to touch any aerial cables if that's the case. Who disconnected & removed the old Sky box?

Also, just in case you didn't realise, the 'white box' is the masthead amplifier power supply I mentioned in an earlier post. It will be located somewhere along the aerial downlead, & could take the form of a distribution amplifier with line power on the aerial input, if the aerial installation is specced for more than 1 or 2 TVs.

I removed the old sky box months ago , but the saorview still worked fine in the mean time.
    Sky will be coming out Friday week to take a look and see what they can do to help my parents,
    Thanks to all again for the help and advice with this, will update hopefully when its sorted soon.

I removed the old sky box months ago

:) If you had mentioned that earlier, we could have knocked the whole thing on the head about the installer & the RF cables.

Still, if he comes back he can at least re-establish the Sky feed to the kitchen. The Saorview/Freeview problems are probably nothing to do with the work he's already carried out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Dell2009

Have Sky+ Hd less than one month,bundled with Sky Talk and Sky Fibre. After numerous calls over 2 weeks to get my Sky Fibre up and running I was all sorted last Sat. However high winds appear to have played havoc with my sky TV and I am currently without TV for 3 days as i have lost satellite signal. After numerous calls to sky they eventually agreed to send an engineer but I will have to wait 8 days for him. To make things ever better they do not automatically reallocate engineers if one becomes available (upon cacellation) and I have to contact sky daily to try and get an earlier engineer apt.

I had UPC and Eircom for years and never had any issues. A constant battle with Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

Dell2009 wrote: »
    However high winds appear to have played havoc with my sky TV and I am currently without TV for 3 days as i have lost satellite signal. After numerous calls to sky they eventually agreed to send an engineer but I will have to wait 8 days for him. To make things ever better they do not automatically reallocate engineers if one becomes available (upon cacellation) and I have to contact sky daily to try and get an earlier engineer apt.

Wishful thinking. You will never get a sky engineer as sky don't use engineers. To be an engineer requires around 3 years at higher level university. Sky use fitters or installers.
    Of course if they had used an engineer it would have been done properly and not moved in the wind.

I assume you will not be paying subs for the 8 or more days you don't have the service.
    I personally would cancel the whole lot at this point as they have not provided the service paid for.
    A company that requires you to contact them daily on a premium rate phone number to fix faults of their own making sucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭swoofer

Once sky sign you up it can be a struggle, did you say you want to cancel? might concentrate their minds. Is the dish easily accessible, ie can you get at it and give it a twist. But if the dish moved on a new fitting less than a month old then it was not a very good job. those dishes if fitted correctly can withstand 100mph winds. Did you check all the cables at back of box, and looked in menu to see if there was a whiff of a signal, did you have a power cut and so on. say what checks you did.

swoofer wrote: »
    Once sky sign you up it can be a struggle, did you say you want to cancel? might concentrate their minds. Is the dish easily accessible, ie can you get at it and give it a twist. But if the dish moved on a new fitting less than a month old then it was not a very good job. those dishes if fitted correctly can withstand 100mph winds. Did you check all the cables at back of box, and looked in menu to see if there was a whiff of a signal, did you have a power cut and so on. say what checks you did.

Dish appears to be okay, it doesn't look like there is any damage but I am no expert I have checked cables and completed a reset but nothing fixed issue. There is no signal at all and both not locked. My sky planner, on demand tv and recordings dont even work, nothing working at all.

Really disappointed with how Sky have handled the situation. They even overcharged me on my first bill with was paid on Monday.

I wish I had stayed with UPC or got eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭swoofer

dish only needs to move a fraction, all it needs is a tweak either right or left, it might even move on the bracket ie without any loosening, all you need is a signal until fitter(engineer!!) calls. If you can get at dish, set up menu on tv that shows signal strength, you will need two people, and see if you can get a lock. Mind you look carefully at lnb leads on dish they may have come loose in wind!

where are you located? a local guy could call and sort you quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

winston_1 wrote: »
    You will never get a sky engineer as sky don't use engineers. To be an engineer requires around 3 years at higher level university. Sky use fitters or installers..
    here Winston, troll make your way over here as there are numerous posts by Sky Reps who mention engineers. Get stuck into them and maybe we can get some respite from your constant whinging and nit picking.

I am located in Oranmore, Co Galway, a few miles outside city.

I don't know how confident id be to go up on a ladder and try to fix the satellite myself but thanks for advice.

I asked Sky could I get another subcontractor to fix it and send them the bill but they declined, they don't seem to care about getting me back up and running at all. I think that although I have only had it for one month, it is time to get rid of Sky. Their customer service is brutal.

Don't forget the 'Talk to ...' forum. Might be worth seeing what they have to say about the wait.

Update on the problem in my parents house : I rang sky who said they would send out an installer/enginer (whatever they are called ) to check the problem.

Sky installer arrived last Friday afternoon, (different guy to first installer ).
    Most of the problems fixed, all saorview channels, both Uk and missing RTE 1 restored on both TV's, one in sitting room and one in kitchen.

Like many of you said, he could not fix /solve the problem of missing sky feed to the kitchen tv, but left details of what needs to be bought and where to link up the sky feed.
    The guy was very helpful, apologised for the problems the first guy had caused.

So I have to say , thank you sky and especially the second sky installer who came back out to help rectify the problem. My elderly parents were very happy with how he sorted the majority of problems for him.

Sky installer arrived last Friday afternoon, (different guy to first installer ).
    Most of the problems fixed, all saorview channels, both Uk and missing RTE 1 restored on both TV's, one in sitting room and one in kitchen

... The guy was very helpful, apologised for the problems the first guy had caused.

I still can't see why the 1st guy would have gone near the aerial cables if the old Sky box had already been removed.

Did the 2nd installer say what the problem was?

Thurston? wrote: »
    I still can't see why the 1st guy would have gone near the aerial cables if the old Sky box had already been removed.

Did the 2nd installer say what the problem was?

He said that the 1st installer had not wired it up correctly, cant remember the full technical explanation, I am useless at things like this. He gave me his own number to call him back if any further problems within a month.

Advertisement