Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post Sky HD Installation problem

• 29-11-2014 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭

Hi .
    My parents got sky HD installed last weekend, working fine no problem there.

However, Rte 1 has now vanished from their saorview TV's ( samsungs) in the house.
    RTE2, TV3, T34 is there but no RTE1:confused:
    Also on their saorview tv's they could pick up a lot of the English channels on the saorview tvs, these have now vanished also.
    I have done rescans on the tvs every way possible, but RTE1 and the English channels wont come back.

I live next door and my saorview tv still picks up RTE1 and a full range of Uk channels also .

Any ideas on what the problem could be ?A new sky dish was installed beside the aerial on the roof, so would it be the sky engineer moved the aerial and has knocked off the alignment to pick up the signals ?

What way to solve this ?

Thanks a lot for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

andrew1977 wrote: »
    A new sky dish was installed beside the aerial on the roof, so would it be the sky engineer moved the aerial and has knocked off the alignment to pick up the signals ?

Could be the case, or if the dish is very close to the aerial it would affect it.

Do you know is the output of the Sky box distributed to other TVs in the house, apart from the main one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Thurston? wrote: »
    Could be the case, or if the dish is very close to the aerial it would affect it.

Do you know is the output of the Sky box distributed to other TVs in the house, apart from the main one?

Hi, thanks for the reply.
    The sky hd box in the sitting room also feeds into the tv in the kitchen ( I think this is what you mean ? , apologies I am clueless )

Any ideas how to solve it please ? I wont be venturing up to the roof or my elderly parents either.

Can I ask sky to send the sky engineer back to sort out ?

Thanks a lot.

The sky hd box in the sitting room also feeds into the tv in the kitchen ( I think this is what you mean ? , apologies I am clueless )

Any ideas how to solve it please ? I wont be venturing up to the roof .

If the Sky box is only connected to the kitchen TV, then it shouldn't be causing problems anywhere else, so I suppose we should look at the dish installation. Can you post a photo?

If the Sky box is only connected to the kitchen TV, then it shouldn't be causing problems anywhere else, so I suppose we should look at the dish installation. Can you post a photo?

The sky box is connected to the sitting room TV,there is a feed running it through to kitchen so it picks it up sky on the TV in there.I could take a picture of the dish on the roof,not sure how to post it up on here though.
    Thanks very much for your help with this,.
    I guess I should ring sky and get them to send out the engineer.

The sky box is connected to the sitting room TV,there is a feed running it through to kitchen so it picks it up sky on the TV in there.I could take a picture of the dish on the roof,not sure how to post it up on here though.
    Thanks very much for your help with this,.
    I guess I should ring sky and get them to send out the engineer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭swoofer

the new sky hd box no longer has rf in and rf out, with an old system the roof aerial would go not rf1 and the lead to other tv's would go via rf 2. there is a way round this where you use a gadget called an i/o link but that is usually extra ie 25 euro. the installler should have spotted the cables at rear and explained this. can you have a look at bck of new box and see if cables to kitchen are connected?

look here at video that explains i/o link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrRYfvz2ixM

mind you if you are still getting a spicture from the new sky box in the kitchen then at least some connection has been made. if he put dish in front of aerial he is not a very good installer. to upload a photo yuu save it to pc ie desktop, then when you click on reply here, click go advanced and it guides you

• Registered Users Posts: 12,083 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Did you have rte1 or rte1 hd on saorview?

blade1 wrote: »
    Did you have rte1 or rte1 hd on saorview?

There is only a HD version of RTE1 on Saorview. If you're getting an SD version from terrestrial transmission, it's the NImux that's transmitted from some Freeview sites in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,083 ✭✭✭✭blade1

There is only a HD version of RTE1 on Saorview. If you're getting an SD version from terrestrial transmission, it's the NImux that's transmitted from some Freeview sites in NI.

Just thought it might be worth a shot.

Hi.
    Just checked the kitchen tv an no sky feed being picked up now.
    I will try take some pictures tomorrow and post them up.
    Will sky send the engineer back out to check what's gone wrong or my parents problem to rectify.?
    Everything was fine until the sky installation.
    Thanks again for all your replies

• Advertisement

Are you sure the kitchen TV was the only 1 that was connected to the Sky box?

If they all had a feed & the installer didn't bother with an IO link on the new box, it's possible the aerial feed to all TVs is just lying there disconnected now. Could also be a distribution amplifier that would have been powered from the Sky box RF2 socket, so merely joining the cables that used to go into RF-in & RF2 may not be enough.

Would have to be a strong Saorview signal area though, for any of the Saorview services to be working without a proper aerial.

Are you sure the kitchen TV was the only 1 that was connected to the Sky box?

If they all had a feed & the installer didn't bother with an IO link on the new box, it's possible the aerial feed to all TVs is just lying there disconnected now. Could also be a distribution amplifier that would have been powered from the Sky box RF2 socket, so merely joining the cables that used to go into RF-in & RF2 may not be enough.

Would have to be a strong Saorview signal area though, for any of the Saorview services to be working without a proper aerial.

I will check all the cables again tomorrow,I am no expert on this unfortunately.
    The loss of rte1only on saorview is baffling.I live next door and mine is fine,so that has to be an aerial problem surely? What do you think?
    Thanks again for your help
    Will sky be helpful and send their engines back out?

The loss of rte1only on saorview is baffling.I live next door and mine is fine,so that has to be an aerial problem surely?

RTE1 is carried in a different channel to the Saorview services that are coming through, so could be affected differently by possible aerial problems, including the possibility that the aerial is completely disconnected from the TVs & the signal is just being picked up on cables.

I might have got a bit sidetracked in my last post: just to confirm, did your parents already have a Sky installation before this HD box?

RTE1 is carried in a different channel to the Saorview services that are coming through, so could be affected differently by possible aerial problems, including the possibility that the aerial is completely disconnected from the TVs & the signal is just being picked up on cables.

I might have got a bit sidetracked in my last post: just to confirm, did your parents already have a Sky installation before this HD box?

Hi.
    Yes they had a sky box before the hd upgrade.The sky installer put a new dish up on the roof beside the tv aerial.No problems before that,all Irish saorview stations and all the uk freeview channels picked up on both tv in the house,sky tv in the sitting room where the box is/was and sky picked up on the tv on the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

Sky don't use engineers for installations so one did not cause this. You also won't get an engineer if you ask sky to send one.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭madmaxvideo

Sounds more likely to be a problem at the aerial, maybe the engineer partially moved the cable at the aerial and the cables are not making full contact. If the new dish was installed in the same place as the old dish then it is more than likely an issue with the aerial, however if the dish was relocated near the aerial it could be interfering with the polarisation of the aerial. Only thing that sounds strange is that you are still picking up English stations and only loosing RTE 1. The unfortunate thing is sky won't want anything to do with this as its not their equipment, best bet would be to contact the engineer directly on the number he contacted you on and ask if he can come take a look, most of the lads won't have an issue with this.

... all Irish saorview stations and all the uk freeview channels picked up on both tv in the house,sky tv in the sitting room where the box is/was and sky picked up on the tv on the kitchen.

So there's only the 2 TVs in the house? I thought from your OP there were more.

What you need to do sounds complex but its not, forget about the aerial for a moment.

1 If its a brand new Sky HD box then it wont have RF1 and RF2 inputs/ouputs, this means no way will signal get to second tv.

2. If there is a connection from RF1 and RF2 to second tv then it can be 3 issues.

a. the installer has plugged in aerial lead and tv lead wrong way round.

b. he did not turn on power to rf2 in the settings of the new box.

c. the rf channel that was used on the second tv is not the same as the one now in use in the new sky hd box.

So you have to establish if the box is old or new, look at the back of it, here are 2 images

The first image is the old sky box and has rf1 and rf2 and aerial in.

The second one is the new sky hd box and has no rf1 or rf2 or aerial in!!

Until we know which box we are stuck.

A tip to get to settings menu in the new SKy Hd box you press services on remote, options will be highlighted in yellow, then press 001 and ok, now you will see a new menu and look for RF, arrow across and press ok it will show the RF channel in use, ie 66 or 68. If you know the channel that is used for sky on the other tv, sometimes on the remote for that tv there may be an i button, press that and the RF channel may appear in one corner, like CH54, if its different from the one in the sky box then make the one in the sky box the same. go slow,

by the way did the installer take away the old box?

ps if you can say which county you are in I can check the soarview channels?

swoofer wrote: »
    If its a brand new Sky HD box then it wont have RF1 and RF2 inputs/ouputs, this means no way will signal get to second tv.

It will if the installer put an IO link or other modulator on it.
    swoofer wrote: »
    he did not turn on power to rf2 in the settings of the new box.

Isn't that only to turn on the 9VDC power for TV link gear, like 'magic eyes'? Or does the IO link do nothing at all without being switched on in the menu?

More than likely the aerial-in & RF-out cables are just lying there & if the OP joins them together they can at least re-establish the aerial feed, & worry about getting Sky on the kitchen TV later.

Strange the installer didn't explain any of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

winston_1 wrote: »
    Sky don't use engineers for installations so one did not cause this. You also won't get an engineer if you ask sky to send one.
    If you haven't got a useful comment to help the OP why do you insist in posting these smart comments?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

If you haven't got a useful comment to help the OP why do you insist in posting these smart comments?

Not smart, but true. The OP needed to know this. He can now get a real engineer out instead one of sky's installers who won't understand the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

I think dear old Winston likes being the person that seems to know everything and he just loves pointing that out. Best ignore his input as I think many on here (wisely) do already.

Hi
    Attached pictures taken of the aerial/dish on the roof this morning and also the box.
    2 tvs in the house, sitting room with HD box connected , previously it fed the sky signal into the kitchen TV.
    On saorview now they have rte2, tv3, tg4,3e, rte nes now.. no RTE1.
    Also missing is all the freeview Uk channels which they were picking up as I assume they are picking up the Northern Ireland signal also ( I live next door and none of my channels have been effected, both IE + UK channels working perfectly )

Fair enough if I have to buy a new piece of equipment to feed the sky into the kitchen tv, but the saorview channels both IE + UK should not have been effected by a sky installation surely ?

Thanks again to all for your help, really need to try get this sorted for them, 2 elderly people where the TV is a big plus for them during the day.

P.S doesn't look like my pictures have uploaded , will try again now

Right, the dish is well away from the aerial. I'll leave it for others to comment on the wisdom of bolting dishes to brick chimneys like that.

There's nothing connected to the IO or scart ports on that box, so no RF signal for the kitchen TV. The cable from the aerial & the cables feeding the RF-ins of the TVs will need to be connected together with a combiner/splitter to re-establish the aerial feed, & the already mentioned add-on will be needed if you want the Sky signal back in the kitchen.

Right, the dish is well away from the aerial. I'll leave it for others to comment on the wisdom of bolting dishes to brick chimneys like that.

There's nothing connected to the IO or scart ports on that box, so no RF signal for the kitchen TV. The cable from the aerial & the cables feeding the RF-ins of the TVs will need to be connected together with a combiner/splitter to re-establish the aerial feed, & the already mentioned add-on will be needed if you want the Sky signal back in the kitchen.

Thank you Thurston, you have been very helpful.

So its nothing I can fix up myself for them, I shall try find a reliable TV installer/repair man in the Drogheda area, so my parent don't get ripped off.
    (Anyone recommend anyone ?)

I presume the repair man will be able to re-establish RTE1 and all the Uk freeviews on both tvs in the house ?
    I guess no point ringing sky/installer for their thoughts.
    The installer seemed nice man according to my parents, he didn't tell them anything extra needed to be done or loss of channels. Is this the norm ?

The installer may have already connected at least 1 of the aerial feeds (kitchen would be the sensible option), especially since the RF2 would have had either a female connector or a female/female coupler on it already. Probably just didn't check how well it was working.

It's only a matter of plugging cables into the relevant piece of kit, no skill needed.

did the guy take the old box?

Another thing to check: there appears to be a masthead amplifier on the aerial feed, the power supply of which is probably plugged in at the main TV. You could check that the installer didn't disturb this in any way.

you need to look behind the tv and check if there is a white box like the image I have attached. whoever fitted the aerial knew what they were doing. take a pic and upload.

Its possible the cables for the amp were connected either with F or coaxial plugs. You need to check if aerial lead is still in situ as sky hd needs 2 feeds and your installer may have used the aerial lead! It does happen.

If its coaxial you can get a joiner in tesco for about a euro and u can link the 2 cables like the image in pic 2.

the joiner/coupler is as pic 3 this is gold plated but silver is ok.

At least if you join cables you will get RTE1 and UK channels back.

To get sky back back on other tv you will need that i/o coupler as shown in the video. Its about 25 euro.

You can do all this yourself and save a few bob.

That sky installer has not impressed me at all, especially as the people were elderly.

And if he took the box....

• Advertisement

A version of the IO link with 2 RF-outs, like the Triax one, would suit the OP best.

Advertisement