Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

rte1 hd

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭emmetlego

lertsnim wrote: »
    How am I being a smart ass? If your promoting the idea of getting rid of another channel so one that is freely available terrestrially can be shown instead isn't desparately wanting a service then what is?

If you want full service for your buck then it is Sky that needs to act. Not RTÉ.

Other people would like to see what's going on in the Dail everyday. Why should they be left out all because you cannot be arsed to stick up an aerial for RTÉ One in HD.

A bit of cop on would be useful.

Smart ass again. Just to join in my desperation, as you called it.

And avoid my question why don't you. The bit I've put in italics, how many do you think? It's TV, it's meant to serve the public, not a handful of bored Political students.

You obviously can't have a reasoned debate without resorting to insult, so I'm out of here. You'll be talking to yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Either party can make it happen - Sky or RTE. It's just a question of who gives in first and pays.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

where is mailbag when you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

JDxtra wrote: »
    Either party can make it happen - Sky or RTE. It's just a question of who gives in first and pays.

I guess the point is one party would want to 'need' it to pay ... and from what I have read RTE has no interest in a presence of their own on the Astra Sat ...... else why Saorsat? ..... so it is down to how much Sky wants it I guess. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

emmetlego wrote: »
    Smart ass again. Just to join in my desperation, as you called it.

And avoid my question why don't you. The bit I've put in italics, how many do you think? It's TV, it's meant to serve the public, not a handful of bored Political students.

You obviously can't have a reasoned debate without resorting to insult, so I'm out of here. You'll be talking to yourself!

I didn't insult you at all. Some people.

The audiece will be small. That's obvious. But RTÉ One is already there so nobody is being deprived of RTÉ One programming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

But RTÉ One is already there so nobody is being deprived of RTÉ One programming.

We are deprived of a high res version of rte1...and it is not entirely free to get it via other means.. aerial needs to be put up... cable run and settop box got then installation of same...whereas we already pay for HD channels via Sky so why not get rte1HD on the Sky platform..

Then there are a few people, - Probably the same amt of people that what that Dail channel, - who cannot get a full signal via saorview...

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

RTE saw a large decline in its advertising revenue between 1997 and 2003.

UK channels were able to launch cheap variants with advertising targeted at the Irish market.

Sky had developed one of the best program guides ever, people would not go back to watching poor quality analogue signals and many households removed cumbersome antennas in favour of mini dishes when the BBC & ITV going Free to air.

RTE's audience was ageing rapidly and advertisers wanted access to the their key demographic audiences, 16 - 30 year olds with cash in their pockets!

The tables have turned, Sky can easily work out the benefits of having an HD channel on its platform by looking at the ratings statistics (those boxes send more info than you think down the telephone/broadband line)

Its RTE that needs to work out a deal with sky to arrange carriage not the other way around!

The statement that they need to lease another transponder is rubbish, satellite channels don't occupy hole transponders anymore, not since the analogue days!

They may need to lease part of a new transponder to get enough bandwidth but that's about it!

Perhaps they could dump a few of the radio stations, to deliver a better quality TV service if they don't want to lease more bandwidth, I doubt to many people with miss the bulk of the radio stations from the EPG.

They could use some of the gains in advertising revenue to pay for the increase bandwidth but this level of compression has to stop!

The picture quality on RTE/ TV3 / 3e looks more like the old American 420p standard!

Andy454 wrote: »

Its RTE that needs to work out a deal with sky to arrange carriage not the other way around!

The statement that they need to lease another transponder is rubbish, satellite channels don't occupy hole transponders anymore, not since the analogue days!

Another?

RTE do not lease any space on Astra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

If sky was regulated as is normal for a TV channel in any other country then a line of legislation is all it would take to force them to carry whatever channels free of charge as was deemed in the public interest. But unfortunately this is Ireland.......

basill wrote: »
    If sky was regulated as is normal for a TV channel in any other country then a line of legislation is all it would take to force them to carry whatever channels free of charge as was deemed in the public interest. But unfortunately this is Ireland.......

You cant blame Sky,

If RTE wanted to carry a free HD channel on SKY they could, but RTE dont want to pay the extra charges to do so.

• Advertisement

Saorview charge through the nose for carriage - RTE can't select a free ride from Sky.

Saorview charge through the nose for carriage - RTE can't select a free ride from Sky.

You reckon RTE are paying Sky presently?

RTE can't select a free ride from Sky.

But they already do.

You reckon RTE are paying Sky presently?
    No. I think they pay nothing or a nominal fee.

But they already do.

That's the legacy agreement. We're taking about capacity for new services.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Apogee

Why not?

Given that they are considering charging Pay-TV providers for carrying their content, it seems unlikely that they anticipate paying Sky into the future.

Apogee wrote: »
    Why not?

Given that they are considering charging Pay-TV providers for carrying their content, it seems unlikely that they anticipate paying Sky into the future.

Yes it appears that both in UK and here a decision might be made to charge the likes of Sky for carrying FTA channels .....
    Page 14:
    While the report isn’t complete yet, much like in Britain, the analysis is telling us that the financial benefits of the relationship are currently completely imbalanced in favour of the Pay-TV operators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

So how come UTV Ireland are on Sky in HD and RTE 1 is still SD?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

bbability wrote: »

Exactly. Such a farce.

And don't no one come here, and say it's because they're paying for it.

They're paying for it! :)

Seriously though, it's true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

bbability wrote: »

It's been explained here plenty of times, RTE have a deal for carriage and encryption on a transponder, that transponder is now full. RTE One HD will need to go on another transponder, which means they'll have to work out a new deal. It's up to Sky, they'll have to pay or offer space.

mad muffin wrote: »
    Exactly. Such a farce.

And don't no one come here, and say it's because they're paying for it.

But they are payimg for it. There is no other reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I realise this. It's still a farce that a year later and no rte 1hd on sky.

mad muffin wrote: »
    I realise this. It's still a farce that a year later and no rte 1hd on sky.

If Sky wants it, it is available - obviously.

What do Sky have to say about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

rte1 happened to be on when we powered up the box one night this week...talk about tv3 being bad picture wise...ur wun doing the announcement for something or other, standing to one side of other graphics and mid stage, her face had no detail in it at all..just a blob of pixels on the screen...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

pegasus1 wrote: »
    ur wun doing the announcement for something or other, standing to one side of other graphics and mid stage, her face had no detail in it at all..just a blob of pixels on the screen...:eek:
    That was just Evelyn Cusack so dont worry about the picture quality :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Is it possible to manually tune in RTE1 HD on a Sky box?

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 eugenecanna

Dinarius wrote: »
    Is it possible to manually tune in RTE1 HD on a Sky box?

Thanks.

D.
    Not possible sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Not possible sorry

I've had been at Sky Ireland for over a year about RTE1 HD, and never got a satisfactory response. So I went to saorview and free sat service. I watch mostly Irish channels anyway, so no big deal.

What really struck me though, was the quality of the HD on the freesat. Far far superior to the sky HD. Probably down to the quality of the box sky provide, but genuinely, the HD is far better.

So now I have free to air TV, and the HD quality is far better.

Maybe if Sky had fixed the RTE1 HD problem earlier, I would have stuck around… No way I'm going back now!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

emmetlego wrote:
    What really struck me though, was the quality of the HD on the freesat. Far far superior to the sky HD. Probably down to the quality of the box sky provide, but genuinely, the HD is far better.

What box have you for freesat and saorview ? I'm thinking of ditching sky for the same the HD quality isn't good on my sky box. I will miss the record function tho !

Advertisement