Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Possible to build good Gaming PC for €550-ish?

Options
  • 11-02-2012 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi
    Ive been looking at parts on sites like dabs , but cant help to think that im being screwed over.
    1. What is your budget? €550ish

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming mainly, New and Old

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yep

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Nope

5. Do you need a monitor? Yeah, but it can wait for now

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? nope

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Probably

8. How can you pay? Credit card , paypal?

9. When are you purchasing? Within next few months

If anyone could help me at all that would be great. Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Something like this, maybe?

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €345.17 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i3-2120 Box, LGA1155|€105.99
    ASRock H61M-S (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX|€43.85
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€40.11
    BitFenix Merc Alpha|€31.61
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB, SATA II (HD502HJ)|€75.00
    8GB-Kit A-Data Value PC3-1333 CL9|€33.20
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA|€15.41

And Win7 from Software4Students for €45.50, brings the total to €420, leaving you €130 for a graphics card.

I'd wait for a week or two though. There's a new series rolling out, and it'll make the current series drop a bit, and possibly open up a few other options.

Just saw when you're going to be buying it. If we're talking that long, come back when you're a week or two from ordering. No point speccing something out now for you, things will have changed a lot by then.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Yeah, because things can change a lot in a couple of months, its always better to ask 2-3 days before you plan to order.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 SpankThru

Thanks for the replies , I've heard that i3 isn't that good for newer games ? or is that just marketing ?
    And BTW i said few months because im not sure what to get , ill order whenever im sure of what i'm getting. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The i3, i5 and i7 are just marketing labels and don't directly correspond to performance. Although just a dual core it's pretty good and has hyperthreading for those tasks which make use of it. The socket 1155 has good upgrade options so you can easily upgrade to a nice quad core down the road. To really maximise your options, you could get a higher quality motherboard which would support bigger upgrades like overclockable CPUs and would be more suitable for SSDs. However, this would drastically eat into your budget essentially doubling the motherboard cost.

The main concern for a quality gaming machine is the graphics card. There's new cards due on the 15th and you'll have even more options in a few months if that's when you're buying.

Is it possible to get a Gaming PC that can run games in this quality(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uCN63sLKAA&feature=related) for 550 or less?
    New and Old?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Assuming you get an i3 processor, coupled with a 140 euro graphics card and perhaps a 22 inch monitor - you'll be able to run most games on high or highest and still be as smooth as the video.

However, running every game on ultra highest settings on a very high res monitor usually involves more cash. You'll still be blown away by the graphics on a 550 machine, but obviously you can always go better.

So What Graphics card would ye recommend?
    Is this any good? (fits my budget) http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=41314&agid=1004

Wait for the new series of cards, they're out next week.

So i should wait for the new ones because the price of older models will drop or because the new models are way better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

exactly

• Advertisement

SpankThru wrote: »
    So i should wait for the new ones because the price of older models will drop or because the new models are way better?

Both.

Random Question , should i get a better power supply , Like 550w instead of 450w?

450W for that system is enough with a midrange graphics card. You could get a 550W if you were going for a high end card or wanted more room for expansion. The quality of the PSU is very important and some 550W PSUs are much worse than that 450W so choose carefully.

Would this be a midrange card? Thanks http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=39504&agid=1004
    Oh and what monitor would you recommend for this setup?

Yes, that would be well covered by 450W. The 7750 and 7770 are being released in three days so they could be a worthwhile alternative.

What's the budget for the monitor?

Im not sure, I guess i want a bare minimum decent one , doesn't need to be HD or anything maybe 100€ or less? as long as it gives a good picture :)
    Would the 450w be able for the new cards + wont the new cards be really expensive?
    Thanks

The new cards being released on the 15th are the 7750 and 7770. They won't be too expensive because they're just midrange cards.
    The rest of the 7000 series - the 7850 and 7870 are due to be released in early March and will certainly be more expensive.

The estimate in price for the 7750 & 7770 is $99-$159. You can't convert that directly to euro as hardware is a bit more expensive here. That's about the range of the 6750, 6770 and 6850 at the moment on US site newegg, the range of these in euro shops are €80-€140 or so. You could probably add a bit more for it being a new product and the shop getting a cut but I think that €90-150 is a credible range for these cards at a competitive online seller.

Monitor... how about:
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=51957

that looks great thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭LittleMc95

Hi, dont mean to butt in here,
    just see your talking about graphics cards and I was looking at them
    and I really have no clue. what would you recommend for games like Skyrim
    and Deus ex? some around the100-150 mark?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

LittleMc95 wrote: »
    Hi, dont mean to butt in here,
    just see your talking about graphics cards and I was looking at them
    and I really have no clue. what would you recommend for games like Skyrim
    and Deus ex? some around the100-150 mark?

If you can find a 6870 for around €140-150 that would be ideal. However you'd want to make sure your PSU is enough to handle it as well.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Yep that's the one he was talking about. I have an XFX 6870 and it's loads for Deus Ex, Skyrim, and battlefield. Gorgeous graphics for the price ;)

What do you mean XFX?

and is that power supply enough?

XFX is the brand of the card, like the one you linked earlier is Sapphire. The internals are still made by AMD but the companies who brand the cards take care of different cooling fans, warranties, returns, boxing etc.

A good quality 450W like the one above is enough for most systems with a 6870.

oh right i get you i was wondering why there was so many different ones.

do prices vary much with the different companies?

Yeah, they do vary a bit. Some companies will have several lines of the same card with different cooling solutions and overclocking or varying RAM amounts. Most of the companies are okay as you're getting nearly the same product. It's no harm to have a quick search for the reputation of any company or any difficulties with a particular version of a card. Be wary of any card that's considerably cheaper than the rest of the bunch.

just noticed is there a difference in the radeon 6870 and radeon HD 6870?

They're nearly identical. Same speeds. The XFX mentions that it has mini displayport instead of displayport connection, but it's likely that you won't be using these anyway as most monitors use DVI.
    just noticed is there a difference in the radeon 6870 and radeon HD 6870?

No.

• Advertisement

Is there much difference in the 6870 and he 6790?

Advertisement