Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post here every time you get something new!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

No, I was given it by a family member. Might also be getting a boxed PS1 and boxed MD with some games. Happy times ensue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭ondafly

o1s1n wrote: »
    It was meant to be a Starfox Super Weekend cart. Which was a special version of Starfox with a timer. Time runs out and it's game over. (Was a Donkey Kong one too)

I actually played that version of Starfox in Peats many moons ago. The girl from the Den was there, and it was a competition to see who could get the highest score. I got a certificate and all :D I then remember actually playing starfox at home and wondering why there wasn't a timer !

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

ondafly wrote: »
    I actually played that version of Starfox in Peats many moons ago. The girl from the Den was there, and it was a competition to see who could get the highest score. I got a certificate and all :D I then remember actually playing starfox at home and wondering why there wasn't a timer !

What?!

I didn't know they had those competitions in Ireland? That's really really interesting to hear.

Actually that means that there's at least one competition cart in Ireland somewhere.

Ahh|! where to look?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Had a dream last night I went to Xtra-Vision in Carlow (I have no idea why) and they had all this retro stuff. They had boxed xboxes, games, and then loads of rare stuff like the PC Engine. I picked one up and asked the clerk how much it was and he said "ummm 5 euro?"

Then I woke up. Jesus ****ing christ what is happening to me. I used to have wet dreams. Now I dream about finding a Multi-Mega in a skip. Christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

Welcome to my world, 31 and still dream of finding retro bargains. Actually nice dreams to be having instead of real-world stuff.

Picked up 18 classic xBox games at the weekend for 50 euro. Titles include:

Halo
    Halo 2 Ltd. Edition (In a metal case)
    Dead to rights
    Ninja Gaiden
    Legacy of Kain
    Turok
    Judge Dredd
    Hitman 2
    Xmen 2
    Terminator
    Spawn armageddoon
    Max Payne
    Mechassault

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I will admit I've had dreams like that too. It's scary sometimes to think that gaming has become that big a part of my life that I'm having dreams about finding something relatively rare. But also disappointing because it was just a dream and I have no Famicom or whatever the content of the dream was :(

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Dark Savior

Argh!

Just got this -

'Hello Oisin,

You recently made a purchase from vpgames, order number 16677xxxx. I would like to thank you for your purchase, however I am writing to alert you to some news regarding your order. Due to an inventory error, it appears the product you ordered is out of stock.'

I take it they realized the mistake they'd made.

Bugger.
    I had this ordered too and heard nothing until today when I got.........
    "Hello K*****,

My name is Stefan from VP Games. You recently made a purchase from our company, order number 16668xxx. I would like to thank you for your purchase, however I am writing today to communicate with you an issue regarding an item you have ordered:

Item CodeQTYNameSNESGAME-STARFOXSUPERWEEKENDCART1Star Fox Super Weekend Cart (SNES)
    It has just come to our attention that the item you ordered below has been 'mapped' incorrectly in our system. This means that the item you ordered may have been linked to a similar but incorrect item in our database; essentially, we have mistakenly shipped you a different brand item for instead of the brand you purchased, because our system told us this is what you ordered. The product you were sent is a similar, however it is not exactly the same as the item you ordered.

We have corrected this mapping error, but unfortunately the specific item you purchased is not available and we were not able to stop your order in time from going out. So there are three things we can do:

1) If the package has not yet been delivered, you can refuse delivery of the package. Just write "Return to Sender" on the package and drop it in a mailbox. Do not open the package. The package will be returned to us by the Post Office and we will refund you in full.

2) If the package has been delivered and opened, we can issue you a pre-paid shipping label for you to attach to the package and send back to us. Email support@vpgames.com if you would like a pre-paid return shipping label.

3) If you wish to keep the item, we can issue you a 50% refund of all monies paid. This way you would not have to return the item, and would receive a partial refund for your trouble and the lesser value of the item received.

If you choose to keep the item, no further action is required on your part. Just let us know and we will issue a 50% partial refund to your account.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. Please understand that these types of errors are not the fault of Amazon.com, and as a third party seller we take responsibility for this error. I am sorry this transaction did not work out for us, and would like to thank you for being a customer of ours.

Once again, I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

If you have trouble viewing this message, or if you have any other questions regarding this notice, please reply to this email.

Sincerely,

vpgames Customer Support"

Damn,after hearing what happened to you I was hoping I might have gotten lucky and picked up a rarity.God know what got shipped instead.Maybe a pristine 1990 Nintendo World Championship cart....................I doubt it though.

Oooh, do let us know what arrives instead!

Master of the Universe

Damn,after hearing what happened to you I was hoping I might have gotten lucky and picked up a rarity.God know what got shipped instead.Maybe a pristine 1990 Nintendo World Championship cart....................I doubt it though.

Hah! It say it's 'similar'...I bet you 100 euro you get an actual copy of Starfox! I had a feeling the guy had a load of copies of Starfox that wouldn't shift. So did this to get rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Dark Savior

Oooh, do let us know what arrives instead!
    I'm not getting my hopes up.I took option 3,I'll take a 50% refund and keep whatever arrives.
    Hah! It say it's 'similar'...I bet you 100 euro you get an actual copy of Starfox! I had a feeling the guy had a load of copies of Starfox that wouldn't shift. So did this to get rid of them.
    That's a bet I won't be taking as I'm fairly sure you'll be right.After checking the auction page again it say's "6 sold" and another "84 available".I'll be sure to let ye know what arrives in the next few weeks:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

atariman wrote: »
    Welcome to my world, 31 and still dream of finding retro bargains. Actually nice dreams to be having instead of real-world stuff.

Picked up 18 classic xBox games at the weekend for 50 euro. Titles include:

Halo
    Halo 2 Ltd. Edition (In a metal case)
    Dead to rights
    Ninja Gaiden
    Legacy of Kain
    Turok
    Judge Dredd
    Hitman 2
    Xmen 2
    Terminator
    Spawn armageddoon
    Max Payne
    Mechassault

Ah, the classic Spawn: Armageddon, sister game to that most memorable of games, Todd McFarlane's Evil Prophecy.

(Fast-forward to 0:35 if you can't wait through the tail-end of Karate Kid!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Picked up a copy of Tekken there from an Xtra Vision branch having a clearout sale, 1.99 brand new!! Talk about a forgotten gem!!!

Which xtra-vision?

Master of the Universe

I love when you see odd old new stock just appearing in shops like this.

A friend of mine bought The Lost Vikings for the Snes new in Tesco about three years ago. He went in and it was just sitting there in the games section.

Major 'WTF' moment.

Master of the Universe

Wooh! Another PAL Megadrive grail. This one also came from Australia. Unfortunately there's no booklet. But what I do have is in perfect nick. The cart label looks lovely.

eccojr-1.jpg

eccojr2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

just got a gameboy pocket for a tenner, probabaly the most retro thing ive bought in a good while.

Nice one. I should get one of those to complete the Gameboy collection (minus the light)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I forgot to add this:

100_1503i.jpg

A ZX Spectrum that I got from Christmas from a retired English couple that go back and forth between their home here and England and a few weeks back when they were going over for Christmas they dropped off a present - I just put it under the tree and didn't think about it for a moment until the 25th. Needless to say, it was one of the most enjoyable surprises I've had in a while!

The picture doesn't do justice to how perfectly maintained the Spectrum is - I wasn't even 100% sure that it wasn't some manner of reproduction model! And yes, those are regular sized cassette cases; the Spectrum is one of the most dinky all-in computers ever made.. !

I remember we had one of those years back, there was a driving game (maybe called Enduro? not sure) and another game were you ran through a room jumping over obstacles.

OMG OMG OMG!! Not really one for that Interweb talk but feel it's justified here..:)

Just after coming from one of my local Charity shops, was looking round but nothing of interest. Now they have a Kids section, with toys and videos and such. It had never crossed my mind before, but I thought what if there are some megadrive games or something buried in the video's, they'd have probably thought they were kids videos or something....

And I'm now the proud owner of:
    • NES Super Mario Bros. Boxed/Manual/Dust Cover
    • NES Captain Planet Boxed/Manual/Dust Cover
    • NES Time Lord Boxed/Manual/Dust Cover
    • NES Solstice Boxed/Manual/Dust Cover
    All for the low low price of a fiver:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Happy freakin' days...here's a one time only LOL from me.

• Advertisement

Sweet finds atariman! Always be sure to check the kids sections, there might be an aul gameboy hidden in there or something.

I went charity shopping a few days ago but most of them were closed :(

It's mad, I've been looking at youtube videos of peoples charity or thrift store finds in America and they're like: "Oh was at the thrift store today, nothing much just some NES, SNES and Genesis games, nothing special" and I'm there like WTF?! We don't even have games full stop in ours!

/rant

Anyways, great finds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Saltour Sossiez

A couple of the MD games I bought arrived today. I'm expecting some more goodies in the next week or two.

2rhwboy.jpg

s1qqg3.jpg

Now, that's not all that I got today. PS2 probably isn't classed as retro yet but I'll still share. :D Got these 3 for 6.98 in Gamestop.

zvrfja.jpg

Took a look in Cash Converters as well today. I wasn't expecting to come across this beauty.

6zu5j9.jpg

rrkyf4.jpg

Love Taz on the Sega even if it's a total mind**** to play. That Metal Gear Solid game is hard to find, saw it going for about 30 euro or something on ebay recently, nice one.

Master of the Universe

CCCP^ wrote: »
    That Metal Gear Solid game is hard to find, saw it going for about 30 euro or something on ebay recently, nice one.

Yeah it's one of the rarer MGS releases. Nice find alright.

In my excitement I forgot to mention I picked up a copy of Alone in the Dark for the 3DO in a different Charity Shop for a Euro. Don't actually have a 3DO, but knew it would be cheap so if anyone here wants it, let me know.

Postman Pat had a hearty delivery of retro for me this morning.

PS2:
    Maximo vs Army of Zin
    Klonoa 2

DC:
    Resident Evil Code: Veronica
    House of the Dead 2

PS1:
    Star Gladiator
    Light Gun

GBA:
    Castlevania (NES Classic)

Grey area on whether it's retro or not, but got Driver 3, Driver Parallel Lines and Gun on the PS2 for €6.98 in total. I'd say 99% of the used PS2 games in Gamestop in Stephens Green are sports games. It's so soul crushing looking through them :(

Nice delivery CCCP! I really want to get into the Klonoa series. Code Veronica is great, but I haven't played too much of it because I don't have a VMU so there's no point really :P

Master of the Universe

Some nice stuff there alright! I r jealous of ur postal visits.

Nothing too spectacular myself. Got a flash card that takes micro sd cards for the Gameboy Micro. So I'll finally have a chance to get that thing going.

Not retro, but I got a nice Zelda replacement DS case. Once that's done I'll be spending a few days solid playing Spirit Tracks :)

Almost! bought a ps2 TEST console on ebay. There were two up. The first was PAL and went for 88 pounds. The second is NTSC and has gone completely out of my price range. Currently on 185 pounds!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260534250110&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Should really have bid on the first..wanted a 60hz machine though. Ah well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

102212.jpg

these arrived during the week.

• Advertisement

Grey area on whether it's retro or not, but got Driver 3, Driver Parallel Lines and Gun on the PS2 for €6.98 in total. I'd say 99% of the used PS2 games in Gamestop in Stephens Green are sports games. It's so soul crushing looking through them :(

Nice delivery CCCP! I really want to get into the Klonoa series. Code Veronica is great, but I haven't played too much of it because I don't have a VMU so there's no point really :P

Yeah it's fairly slim pickings now in the Gamestop's in the city centre. I went to Rathmines and picked up some decent games (Oni, Devil May Cry 3, Frequency) and I spotted they had the Silent Hill Collection and the special edition of Silent Hill 2 under the shelves but otherwise there isn't much anymore.

I may have a spare VMU lying around Atavan, if I can find it I'll post it out to you. I think it's a crime that lack of a VMU is preventing you playing Code Veronica. It's not the best Resident Evil but it's definetly a good game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement