Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Combo box to compliment a media streaming box?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

@ Ben There

I know off topic but I use CCTV cams from here:

http://www.tenvis.com/

They work very well with a UPC modem and are well priced - check out Ali Baba

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

iba wrote: »
    @ Ben There

I know off topic but I use CCTV cams from here:

http://www.tenvis.com/

They work very well with a UPC modem and are well priced - check out Ali Baba

I have a IP391W-HD to hook up.

Tried CamoFS ? Its in the plugins, under extensions :)

But perhaps you knew that already........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

STB wrote: »
    I have a IP391W-HD to hook up.

Tried CamoFS ? Its in the plugins, under extensions :)

But perhaps you knew that already........

I have that one too, or maybe an earlier version. Also have an IPRobot 3

No, I did not know, I will check it out.

I use IP Cam Viewer and Tenvis P2P on my phone.

Sorry Ben :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

I have that one too, or maybe an earlier version. Also have an IPRobot 3

No, I did not know, I will check it out.

I use IP Cam Viewer and Tenvis P2P on my phone.

Its an E2 plugin for the gigablue to view your tenvis camera on the box. Its in the feeds (download plugins) under extensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

No need for apologies at all iba, it's good info to know.

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

BenThere wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm looking for some help to choose the right UK FTA satellite and Saorview combo box.

At the moment I have UPC and an Android media streaming box (Minix X7) serving all my tv/video content needs but I want to ditch UPC and replace it with the free to air Irish/UK channels as we're using the media streaming box more and more and the UPC service less and less.

The Minix X7 does all the YouTube type streaming (I have 100mb fibre broadband from UPC) so I really just need standard TV channels from the Combo box, I know some of them can connect to WiFi and stream YouTube etc but I won't need it to do any of that stuff.

I've read a lot of the Ariva 150/250 and Triax TSC114 threads and they all seem to have their strengths and weaknesses/quirks but I honestly cannot suss out which one suits my needs best so I'm hoping if I post my requirement and feature preferences I'll get a good steer!! Here are my preferences in order of importance:-

1. High quality box with well sorted firmware and good user community support

2. Hackable (if that's the right term) to somehow provide a 7 day EPG for the UK FTA channels. Can it connect to the internet (either via WiFi or Ethernet) and somehow continuously auto load a 7 day EPG??

3. Easy to use menu for standard channel surfing etc and a remote control which can learn how to turn the TV on and off and perhaps switch AV source also so the rest of the family have a "one remote" type experience.

4. PVR functionality with EPG driven recording. I understand Combo boxes don't typically come with a built in HDD but do allow one to be connected via USB port so recommendations on what HDD to purchase would also be appreciated. A 500mb or 1TB drive powered directly via the Combo box USB port would be ideal but if powering the HDD separately is a better option that's not an issue, I have plenty of power supply at the TV location.

5. I read that most of these boxes are view Saorview/record Satellite or vice versa but you cannot watch one satellite channel and record another or watch one Saorview channel and record another. Is this true? Is there a workaround for that if double the amount of cables are run to the box?

I hope the above are clear and that you guys can give me a decent steer on this. If my expectations of what these Combo boxes can do is unrealistic please feel free to let me know in no uncertain terms, I can take it!!!

Ben
    hi i use a humax hd box,itb hard drive,record ,live pause,epg etc etc,nort a saorcview combo though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Technofobe

BenThere wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm looking for some help to choose the right UK FTA satellite and Saorview combo box.

At the moment I have UPC and an Android media streaming box (Minix X7) serving all my tv/video content needs but I want to ditch UPC and replace it with the free to air Irish/UK channels as we're using the media streaming box more and more and the UPC service less and less.

The Minix X7 does all the YouTube type streaming (I have 100mb fibre broadband from UPC) so I really just need standard TV channels from the Combo box, I know some of them can connect to WiFi and stream YouTube etc but I won't need it to do any of that stuff.

I've read a lot of the Ariva 150/250 and Triax TSC114 threads and they all seem to have their strengths and weaknesses/quirks but I honestly cannot suss out which one suits my needs best so I'm hoping if I post my requirement and feature preferences I'll get a good steer!! Here are my preferences in order of importance:-

1. High quality box with well sorted firmware and good user community support

2. Hackable (if that's the right term) to somehow provide a 7 day EPG for the UK FTA channels. Can it connect to the internet (either via WiFi or Ethernet) and somehow continuously auto load a 7 day EPG??

3. Easy to use menu for standard channel surfing etc and a remote control which can learn how to turn the TV on and off and perhaps switch AV source also so the rest of the family have a "one remote" type experience.

4. PVR functionality with EPG driven recording. I understand Combo boxes don't typically come with a built in HDD but do allow one to be connected via USB port so recommendations on what HDD to purchase would also be appreciated. A 500mb or 1TB drive powered directly via the Combo box USB port would be ideal but if powering the HDD separately is a better option that's not an issue, I have plenty of power supply at the TV location.

5. I read that most of these boxes are view Saorview/record Satellite or vice versa but you cannot watch one satellite channel and record another or watch one Saorview channel and record another. Is this true? Is there a workaround for that if double the amount of cables are run to the box?

I hope the above are clear and that you guys can give me a decent steer on this. If my expectations of what these Combo boxes can do is unrealistic please feel free to let me know in no uncertain terms, I can take it!!!

Ben

I have been using Amiko Alien 2+ for 6 months or so
    Ditched Sky and got this as a direct replacement as you probably know by now its a steep learning curve alright
    Anyway just posting to let you know how I got around recording and watching saorview at same time
    the AA2 has 3 tuners 2 sat + 1 terrestial it also has an antenna passthrough so a fly lead from the passthrough back to the ant in on the saorview ready tv meant im able to record saorview on the AA2 and watch a different saorview channel on the tv

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭gerryp2000

fbradyirl wrote: »
    I use a Vu Duo² and it checks all those boxes that you mentioned. I have full 7 day integrated EPG and use it with a Sky dish and a Saorview aerial in the attic. Can record, etc to a 1TB built in hard drive. I use the OpenVix image, which has great community support.

For Saorview, as the box doesn't have a built in DVB-T tuner, I use a cheap Sony PlayTV tuner plugged into the Vu box, and that is a dual tuner, so recording 2 things at once is fine.

For FreeSat, I run 2 cables from the dish directly to the box, so recording 2 sat channels at once is fine.

It's an expensive box, but it rocks compared to all those cheapo closed source combos out there...

Any questions, let me know.

Sorry to highjack this thread - Would the above / or any other receiver, record live Internet streaming - or should I just crawl back under my non-techy rock????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

hi i use a humax hd box,itb hard drive,record ,live pause,epg etc etc,nort a saorcview combo though
    i also use the humax hd itb box,execellent ,no probs whatsoever,full epg,live pause etc,but cant run saorview through it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I don't suppose a combo Freesat/Saorview box has been launched in the last few months by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Hackery

BenEadir wrote: »
    I don't suppose a combo Freesat/Saorview box has been launched in the last few months by any chance?

Edision Optimuss OS 3 Plus looks interesting as it can have an internal HDD added. Freetv.ie are selling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

BenEadir wrote: »
    Hackery wrote: »
    Edision Optimuss OS 3 Plus looks interesting as it can have an internal HDD added. Freetv.ie are selling them.

Looks exactly the same as the Technomate Nano T3.
    http://www.technomate.com/store/products/TM%252dNano-3T.html
    http://www.freetv.ie/edision-optimuss-os-3-plus.html

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭hadit2here

i have the edision argus mini 2in 1 IP

I cant say I was happy with their support from Edision, when i did have issues a couple of years ago

I think i will try the Alien Amika 2 this time.
    http://www.amikostb.com/?q=product&id=153

My Edision still works but I would really like the 7 day EPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Hackery

Does the Technomate Nano T3 have a DVB-T2 tuner?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Hackery wrote: »
    Does the Technomate Nano T3 have a DVB-T2 tuner?

Yes it can do T & T2.
    It also has 2 Satellite S2 tuners.
    You can read about it here.
    http://www.technomate.com/store/products/TM%252dNano-3T.html

Advertisement